Annoying problem.

Sidney_Kotic

Nov 25, 2022, 8:54:08 PM11/25/22
Ran into a string of messages, every time I tried to start something.
"Maximum number of clients reached"
"Error: Unable to initialize GTK+, is DISPLAY set properly?"
Sure I could kill something and get something else to start...but I really
didn't want to kill something. The computer wasn't starved for memory or spare
jiffies, just busy.

openSUSE Leap 15.4, fully patched as of about 8 hours ago.
18:51:16 up 1 day 4:53, 6 users, load average: 34.86, 32.59, 31.64
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 30Gi 6.8Gi 287Mi 49Mi 24Gi 23Gi
Swap: 2.0Gi 35Mi 2.0Gi

Is there a simple solution to this?

Carlos E.R.

Nov 25, 2022, 9:12:32 PM11/25/22
Foggy idea:

related to "ulimit -a". Some limit has been reached.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Sidney_Kotic

Nov 25, 2022, 10:36:26 PM11/25/22
On 11/25/22 19:10, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> related to "ulimit -a". Some limit has been reached.

Don't see anything particularly exciting there...

kant@opihi:~> ulimit -a
core file size (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited
scheduling priority (-e) 0
file size (blocks, -f) unlimited
pending signals (-i) 125612
max locked memory (kbytes, -l) 64
max memory size (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files (-n) 1024
pipe size (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority (-r) 0
stack size (kbytes, -s) 8192
cpu time (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes (-u) 125612
virtual memory (kbytes, -v) unlimited
file locks (-x) unlimited

Seems to be more in the "X11/Wayland" world. It did mention XDG. To many
sessions running? Just a really busy time for the little computer and it's
running into some sort of a wall.

Carlos E.R.

Nov 26, 2022, 8:40:09 AM11/26/22
Try increasing the open files limit. I had to do that to open more
firefox instances.

It is done in:
/etc/security/limits.conf

needs reboot.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Sidney_Kotic

Nov 26, 2022, 10:42:53 AM11/26/22
Thanks, I'll try that in the future. In the mean time the problem has gone away.

bad sector

Nov 26, 2022, 9:32:33 PM11/26/22
Slackware, among other things the fastest boot I think

--
https://i.imgur.com/UIb44WA.png

Sidney_Kotic

Nov 26, 2022, 11:52:00 PM11/26/22
On 11/26/22 19:32, bad sector wrote:
> Slackware, among other things the fastest boot I think

I've probably run Slackware some time in the past. Started with kernel 1.0.0 on
50 bazillion 3.5" diskettes each FTP'd using a computer running SunOS 4.11, then
loaded onto a x86 machine running Windows 3.1 and worked my way up to openSUSE.
First actual "release" was Yggdrasil on a live CD. This little computer boots
fine. AMD 5700G with a 1TB SSD. Fits in my suitcase and I carry it back and
forth from where I live in the summer to where I live in the winter, which is
exactly why I bought the parts and assembled it. It has 3 moving parts, two
fans and the on/off switch, so the airline hasn't managed to break it yet.

bad sector

Nov 27, 2022, 2:54:37 PM11/27/22
Slackware and Suse I'll never forget. While I was still on the Amiga
I read this swedish guy 'rebel-rousing' on compuserve with words to the
effect that:

"I run free Slackware Linux on a 486 PC clone and I find everything I need
on usenet which is also free"

I was 'sold', I mean just on the basis of the tone! But at that point in
time I had no clue what a PC was, Linux or Slackware, a 486 or usenet.
So I got going and in a month had all of them. Soon after that I
discovered Suse which had just forked off from Slackware, and have been
getting spoiled rotten ever since :-)

--
Every day of the week I boot a different (Linux) OS. For each system
/home/userMe is a link to a provisionally different directory on a

Andrew

Nov 27, 2022, 3:13:24 PM11/27/22
bad sector wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 21:51:56 -0700, Sidney_Kotic wrote:
>
>> On 11/26/22 19:32, bad sector wrote:
>> > Slackware, among other things the fastest boot I think
>>
>> I've probably run Slackware some time in the past. Started with kernel
>> 1.0.0 on 50 bazillion 3.5" diskettes each FTP'd using a computer running
>> SunOS 4.11, then loaded onto a x86 machine running Windows 3.1 and
>> worked my way up to openSUSE. First actual "release" was Yggdrasil on a
>> live CD. This little computer boots fine. AMD 5700G with a 1TB SSD.
>> Fits in my suitcase and I carry it back and forth from where I live in
>> the summer to where I live in the winter, which is exactly why I bought
>> the parts and assembled it. It has 3 moving parts, two fans and the
>> on/off switch, so the airline hasn't managed to break it yet.
>
> Slackware and Suse I'll never forget. While I was still on the Amiga
> I read this swedish guy 'rebel-rousing' on compuserve with words to the
> effect that:
>
> "I run free Slackware Linux on a 486 PC clone and I find everything I need
> on usenet which is also free"
>
> I was 'sold', I mean just on the basis of the tone! But at that point in
> time I had no clue what a PC was, Linux or Slackware, a 486 or usenet.
> So I got going and in a month had all of them. Soon after that I
> discovered Suse which had just forked off from Slackware, and have been
> getting spoiled rotten ever since :-)

SuSE started life as a Slackware fork? I thought the starting point had
been Red Hat. The first level I installed was 4.x and thought they were
using rpm by then.

Carlos E.R.

Nov 27, 2022, 4:24:08 PM11/27/22

bad sector

Nov 27, 2022, 4:59:52 PM11/27/22
Yeh, I migrated around 4.x also :-)

They were using rpms but some of the Slackware ncurses
dialogs are still there in Yast ncurses I think :-)

I shudda stayed with slack but instead suse turned me
into a clickzombie