Tumbleweed keeps reporting "Packman" access denied

PaulRS

Mar 1, 2021, 1:42:21 PM3/1/21
Since yesterday (28 Feb) the Packman Repository site keeps reporting
"access is denied." Any reason? When will availability resume?

Paul

Sidney_Kotic

Mar 1, 2021, 2:09:02 PM3/1/21
On 3/1/21 11:42 AM, PaulRS wrote:
> Since yesterday (28 Feb) the Packman Repository site keeps reporting
> "access is denied." Any reason? When will availability resume?

I found a mirror of it and put it into as "BU Packman". Still complains a bit,
but the updates ran fine, had to do this on two computers.

Carlos E.R.

Mar 1, 2021, 3:04:09 PM3/1/21
On 01/03/2021 19.42, PaulRS wrote:
> Since yesterday (28 Feb) the Packman Repository site keeps reporting
> "access is denied." Any reason? When will availability resume?

Packman is migrating site and machine. It is one volunteer. You will
have to wait and use a mirror meanwhile.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

PaulRS

Mar 1, 2021, 5:03:26 PM3/1/21
On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 18:42:18 UTC, "PaulRS" <prs...@Zfrontier.com>
wrote:

> Since yesterday (28 Feb) the Packman Repository site keeps reporting
> "access is denied." Any reason? When will availability resume?
>
> Paul

Thanks to both of you for the info. Do you have the URL for the
mirror site?

Sidney_Kotic

Mar 1, 2021, 6:01:44 PM3/1/21
On 3/1/21 3:03 PM, PaulRS wrote:

> Thanks to both of you for the info. Do you have the URL for the
> mirror site?

If I don't horribly fat finger it:
https://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/packman/suse/openSUSE_Leap_15.2
At least that's the one I used.

Andrew

Mar 1, 2021, 7:06:05 PM3/1/21
I migrated from 15.1 to 15.2 over the weekend and was somewhat peeved
when I discovered that the site was down. If you have a working system,
then you could wait a day and things should be ok. What I did for my
15.2 system was:
zypper ar -cfp 90
'https://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Leap_$releasever/'
packman
(that was one line) and I got it from a search along the lines of
"opensuse packman" or maybe "opensuse multimedia". A couple of points:
- I am running Leap 15.2, your link will be different
- that won't work until you remove your existing packman entry.

Andrew

Mar 3, 2021, 11:35:27 AM3/3/21
I looked a couple of hours ago and the repository was still down, if you
lose patience then have a look at
https://en.opensuse.org/Additional_package_repositories

PaulRS

Mar 3, 2021, 3:57:37 PM3/3/21
On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 22:03:23 UTC, "PaulRS" <prs...@Zfrontier.com>
wrote:
Thanks for all the help. From your help I looked up the specific
Tumbleweed mirror for my version:

https://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/

I added this as an additional Repository under YAST calling it
"PackmanMirror". I temporarily disabled the default packman
repository until the transfer is completed by the "single volunteer."
Pray for "single volunteer." ;-)

Carlos E.R.

Mar 3, 2021, 5:12:08 PM3/3/21
He is a worthy volunteer. It is his hardware, his time, his internet...
or the internet of his employer previously. Other volunteers do the
packaging, but he does the maintenance of the server on his own, I
understand.

You might try this trick. Find the repo file in "/etc/zypp/repos.d/",
and (watch out for line wrap):

EXT_Packman]
name=EXT: Packman Repository
enabled=1
autorefresh=1
baseurl=http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_Leap_${releasever}/

http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Leap_${releasever}/
path=/
type=rpm-md
priority=95
keeppackages=1

See the "baseurl=..." syntax? You can add mirrors that way. I have not
attempted an update these days, anyway, but a "zypper ref" worked right now.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Andrew

Mar 8, 2021, 12:26:44 PM3/8/21
It is unfortunate, but that repository is still down a good week later.

Carlos E.R.

Mar 8, 2021, 3:56:08 PM3/8/21
On 08/03/2021 18.26, Andrew wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:

>> You might try this trick. Find the repo file in "/etc/zypp/repos.d/",
>> and (watch out for line wrap):
>>
>> EXT_Packman]
>> name=EXT: Packman Repository
>> enabled=1
>> autorefresh=1
>> baseurl=http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_Leap_${releasever}/
>>
>> http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Leap_${releasever}/
>>
>> path=/
>> type=rpm-md
>> priority=95
>> keeppackages=1
>>
>> See the "baseurl=..." syntax? You can add mirrors that way. I have not
>> attempted an update these days, anyway, but a "zypper ref" worked
>> right now.
>>

> It is unfortunate, but that repository is still down a good week later.

Some days it works for me, and some days it doesn't. For example, right
now it worked.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Andrew

Mar 10, 2021, 8:32:28 AM3/10/21
I'm getting the following "zypper up" messages consistently:
> Problem retrieving files from 'Packman Repository'.
> Permission to access 'http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_Leap_15.2/repodata/repomd.xml' denied.

Carlos E.R.

Mar 10, 2021, 2:00:08 PM3/10/21
Then point to a mirror.

Like the other one quoted above.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Andrew

Apr 26, 2021, 6:25:34 AM4/26/21
(8 weeks after the problem emerged, 7 weeks after the last comment in
the thread)
I went back to check this repository and it is still refusing to permit
access. Does the owner of the server know?
Obviously I switched to using a mirror a long time ago so it is not as
though it hurts me, but I don't think this behaviour is what the server
owner was looking for.
Or is geo-blocking a factor here? That would be "unusual" under the
circumstances.

Carlos E.R.

Apr 26, 2021, 7:04:07 AM4/26/21
On 26/04/2021 12.25, Andrew wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:

> (8 weeks after the problem emerged, 7 weeks after the last comment in
> the thread)
> I went back to check this repository and it is still refusing to permit
> access.  Does the owner of the server know?
> Obviously I switched to using a mirror a long time ago so it is not as
> though it hurts me, but I don't think this behaviour is what the server
> owner was looking for.
> Or is geo-blocking a factor here?  That would be "unusual" under the
> circumstances.

That particular server had/has problems for some time. It is known. Many
servers are managed by volunteers in their spare time, so response is slow.

As I said, I use:

> baseurl=http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Leap_$releasever/
> http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_Leap_$releasever/
> http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/packman/suse/openSUSE_Leap_$releasever/

in the repository definition file and it works.

I have not read in the mail list of problems since some time, though.
Either all people have moved to a mirror, or they don't hit the problem.

Mmm... I tried
<http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_Leap_15.2/repodata/repomd.xml> on
a web browser and I get "403 - Forbidden". Even the root
<http://packman.inode.at/> gives a 403.

I have no idea what is going on. I suggest asking on the packman mail
list. Maybe I will, later.

--
Cheers, Carlos.