knode download

Batchman

Jul 1, 2021, 6:12:12 PM7/1/21
Can anyone suggest a safe repository for downloading knode for Leap 15.2 please?

grinch

Jul 2, 2021, 5:42:06 AM7/2/21
On 01/07/2021 23:12, Batchman wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a safe repository for downloading knode for Leap 15.2 please?

After a bit of googling I found this
https://software.opensuse.org/package/knode

Be aware its no longer supported and does not receive and software
security updates. And will it work with the latest version of KDE ??

Batchman

Jul 2, 2021, 6:59:46 PM7/2/21
On Fri, 2 Jul 2021 10:42:03 +0100, grinch wrote:

> After a bit of googling I found this
> https://software.opensuse.org/package/knode
>
> Be aware its no longer supported and does not receive and software
> security updates. And will it work with the latest version of KDE ??

Thanks for that, will check it out.

Aragorn

Jul 2, 2021, 10:24:58 PM7/2/21
On 02.07.2021 at 10:42, grinch scribbled:
Nope. KNode was never even fully ported to qt4, let alone to qt5,
which is what Plasma 5 is based upon. It is still for most part
qt3-based, and the original developer/maintainer abandoned the project.

You can however get KNode to work in the Trinity Desktop Environment,
which as forked qt3 and qt4, or if you have a virtual machine running a
distribution that still carries Plasma 4.

I too was a KNode fan — I had been using it since 2000 — but alas,
eventually I had to find another Usenet client. I'm using Claws Mail
now — for Usenet only; for email I'm sticking to KMail — and it does
the job, but it does have its flaws.

Earlier I was using Pan, which is significantly better as a newsreader
than Claws Mail, but I am running Manjaro as my distribution, and
unfortunately, Pan is completely unusable in Manjaro, and even in Arch
proper it's very unstable. Even Claws Mail occasionally segfaults
here [*], but at least it's usable.

[*] That might actually be a gtk thing. We hates gtk, Preciousss, we
hates it! :p

--
With respect,
= Aragorn =

Batchman

Jul 4, 2021, 7:17:20 PM7/4/21
On Sat, 3 Jul 2021 04:24:55 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

> On 02.07.2021 at 10:42, grinch scribbled:
>> After a bit of googling I found this
>> https://software.opensuse.org/package/knode
>>
>> Be aware its no longer supported and does not receive and software
>> security updates. And will it work with the latest version of KDE ??
>
> Nope. KNode was never even fully ported to qt4, let alone to qt5,
> which is what Plasma 5 is based upon. It is still for most part
> qt3-based, and the original developer/maintainer abandoned the project.
> [SNIP]

Thanks for your descriptive feedback!

dachshunddad

Jul 12, 2021, 6:25:12 PM7/12/21
I am using Pan right now with Manjaro on an IBM Thinkcentre 9210 Pentium
4. Have not seen you post in awhile. I remember you from the old OS/2
newsgroups.

Aragorn

Jul 13, 2021, 1:16:32 AM7/13/21
On 12.07.2021 at 22:25, dachshunddad scribbled:
Um, no, I have indeed been an OS/2 user in the past, but I've never
posted in the OS/2 groups. I was already exclusively running GNU/Linux
by the time I ever got an internet connection at home. ;)

I also rarely post to Usenet anymore, mostly by lack of time. I am a
moderator at the Manjaro forum and an administrator at yet another (but
not computer-related) forum. I do however still monitor Usenet, albeit
mostly in lurking mode. :)