SuSE 9.3 on Acer Aspire 3000 laptop - hard disk not detected

"Jacek K. Błaszkowski"

Aug 15, 2005, 3:42:52 PM8/15/05
Hello,

In the beginning I'd like to mention, that I already have Fedora Core 4
installed and running with *absolutely* *no* *problems* on this laptop,
but I want to give SuSE a try.

I am trying to install SuSE 9.3 from CDs on my Acer Aspire 3000 series
laptop. Unfortunately, I cannot get past initial stages of installation
- the installer complains it cannot detect my hard disk. The disk is
80GB, unknown brand (model reports as IC25N080ATMR04-0 in WinXP System
Information), running as hda on SiS5513 IDE controller, with no tweaking
options in BIOS.

This oddity (hard disk not detected) happens in standard, no-ACPI and
failsafe options of SuSE installation.

I checked dmesg after exiting SuSE setup and saw a couple of:

hda:hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

followed by

hda: INVALID GEOMETRY: 0 PHYSICAL HEADS?

I googled a little bit about that error messages and tried to pass
hda=16383,16,63 (values taken from hdparm in FC4, where, as I had
mentioned, the disk is recognized and works properly) to the kernel when
booting the installer, but it only resulted with installer seeing the
disk as 7.6GB (message about failure in reading partition table appeared
in dmesg).

Do you have some ideas what should I do? I will really appreciate some
hints or URLs.

Regards, jkb

TGGA

Aug 15, 2005, 3:52:37 PM8/15/05
Someone called "Jacek K. B?aszkowski" once managed to post:

Does the hard disk have a 'restore' partition image on the first part of it.
When I installed SuSE 9.2 on my Acer Ferarri I had that problem. I deleted
the partition and started from scratch.

Pete

"Jacek K. Błaszkowski"

Aug 15, 2005, 4:00:50 PM8/15/05

No, the restore partition is there no more. When I bought the laptop and
attempted to install FC4, I wiped the disk clean and now have it
organized like this:

hda1 - 20GB NTFS (c: in Windows)
hda2 - 1GB swap
hda3 - 10GB ext3 (/ in Linux)
hda4 - extended partition divided into logical drives:
hda5 - 10GB ext3 (/home in Linux)
hda6 - 34GB FAT32 (d: in Windows)

Regards, jkb

Jacek K. Błaszkowski

Aug 16, 2005, 11:50:33 AM8/16/05
"Jacek K. Błaszkowski" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In the beginning I'd like to mention, that I already have Fedora Core 4
> installed and running with *absolutely* *no* *problems* on this laptop,
> but I want to give SuSE a try.

Well, I was googling desperately overnight and the answer was right under my
nose... I did a quick search in SuSE knowledge database at www.suse.com and
found out, that passing insmod=ide-generic to the kernel when booting the
installer deals with the problem. After a couple of years of using
Slackware I got used to having no support but google and news ;)

I am enjoying SuSE now, works fine on my laptop, I'll try to write a review
and submit it to tuxmobil.org in a couple of days.

Regards, jkb

--
"Gdy narodził się Koslowski, jego dwaj ojcowie mieli stoczyć zaciekły
pojedynek na pistolety. Ojciec, który przeżył, opowiada, że gdy po raz