TrustedGrub2 No TPM found Error

panorain

Jan 3, 2024, 8:52:08 PMJan 3
I have a Lenovo m-91p SFF desktop computer. I attached a 128GB Kingston
ssd as the only hdd. I installed openSUSE TW on the computer with LUKS
encryption and I believe I enabled within YaST2 > Boot Code Options >
Trusted Boot Support. I updated the computer with "zypper dup"
powercycled and things were really working well as far as the speed of
the cpu etc.

I then put the computer away for a year and the LUKS password was
documented correctly. I took the computer out of storage and was
attempting to unlock the disk at Grub2 menu a number of times with a
incorrect variation of the LUKS password. I finally realized that I was
attempting the wrong password and referenced the correct password. By
that time I had powercycled many times and removed all but 1 of the 4
DIMMS from the board to get to POST and unencrypt LUKS and login to KDE.
I updated the machine with the "zypper dup", I decided to then
powercycle the machine (a very large number of updates).

After powercycling the machine it was blank no POST let alone a Grub2
boot menu. I removed the remaining DIMM and then attempted a series or
variations with the existing 4 DIMMS with no luck to even access BIOS or
see a POST displayed. If all DIMMS are removed there is a series of
audible beeps heard in a round robin sort of sounding (around and around).

I attempted to attach the afflicted ssd to a functional desktop machine
operating under openSUSE TW. The device is listed/shown with "lsblk" The
ssd is not able to be mounted manually through GUI in KDE or manually
from bash terminal Incorrect password is displayed time after time. I
have tried attaching a PS/2 style keyboard to the functioning desktop
and loading into TW then trying the proper documented password with no joy.

I attached the afflicted ssd as the sole/only ssd to the known
functional machine. I powered on the desktop and was displayed
TrustedGRUB2 No TPM found Error.

My questioning for you is: did my multiple attempts to enter an
incorrect LUKS password time after time (after taking the computer out
of storage) cause a possible mainboard failure or perhaps a DIMM
failure? The computer/machine is not posting whatsoever. As I have said
earlier in my message I was finally able to enter the correct LUKS
passphrase with 1 DIMM 2GB in size then update the machine. Upon
powercycling the machine there was absolutely no post let alone a Grub2
unlock key displayed.

Can I maybe reinstall a fresh grub2 on the drive?

I welcome your thoughts on this and do understand that I am not an
advanced user. I understand that I made a somewhat poor judgment mistake
by not verifying the exact LUKS password after removing the machine from
storage.

-Thanks

Carlos E.R.

Jan 4, 2024, 4:06:56 PMJan 4
I don't think so.

> As I have said
> earlier in my message I was finally able to enter the correct LUKS
> passphrase with 1 DIMM 2GB in size then update the machine. Upon
> powercycling the machine there was absolutely no post let alone a Grub2
> unlock key displayed.
>
> Can I maybe reinstall a fresh grub2 on the drive?
>
> I welcome your thoughts on this and do understand that I am not an
> advanced user. I understand that I made a somewhat poor judgment mistake
> by not verifying the exact LUKS password after removing the machine from
> storage.

There are more tests you can do.

Hot plug the Kingston SSD to an already running computer, and attempt to
open the partitions when prompted.

Attempt to boot the Lenovo m-91p SFF with a different media, non encrypted.

And you could ask instead on the openSUSE mail list or forum.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Malcolm

Jan 4, 2024, 4:44:40 PMJan 4
On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 22:02:07 +0100
"Carlos E.R." <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:

<snip>

> There are more tests you can do.
>
> Hot plug the Kingston SSD to an already running computer, and attempt
> to open the partitions when prompted.
>
> Attempt to boot the Lenovo m-91p SFF with a different media, non
> encrypted.
>

> And you could ask instead on the openSUSE mail list or forum.

Hi
My suggestion is a fresh install, way too many things have changed
(usr merge, lots of LUKs and TPM stuff) to even attempt an update if you
get it running...

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
Tumbleweed 20240103 | GNOME Shell 45.2 | 6.6.7-1-default

panorain

Jan 15, 2024, 11:22:33 AMJan 15
Is openSUSE Tumbleweed hot plugging enabled by default? Is there a way
to see if hot plugging is enabled? The last time the mentioned medium
was updated was after usr merge (I think). I do know, the medium has
little critical data on it. In the very least it is an interesting
experiment to try and mount. I did attach a PS/2 keyboard in order to
really be certain the LUKS passphrase was being keyed in correctly. I
may post this on the mailing list soon. Thanks for your input on this also.

-pj

Carlos E.R.

Jan 15, 2024, 4:20:05 PMJan 15
On 2024-01-15 17:22, panorain wrote:
> On 1/4/24 15:02, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2024-01-04 02:52, panorain wrote:

>>> I welcome your thoughts on this and do understand that I am not an
>>> advanced user. I understand that I made a somewhat poor judgment
>>> mistake by not verifying the exact LUKS password after removing the
>>> machine from storage.
>>
>> There are more tests you can do.
>>
>> Hot plug the Kingston SSD to an already running computer, and attempt
>> to open the partitions when prompted.
>>
>> Attempt to boot the Lenovo m-91p SFF with a different media, non
>> encrypted.
>>

>> And you could ask instead on the openSUSE mail list or forum.
>>

> Is openSUSE Tumbleweed hot plugging enabled by default?

I don't use TW, but I assume it is. It depends on the particular desktop
you use, I understand.

> Is there a way
> to see if hot plugging is enabled? The last time the mentioned medium
> was updated was after usr merge (I think). I do know, the medium has
> little critical data on it. In the very least it is an interesting
> experiment to try and mount. I did attach a PS/2 keyboard in order to
> really be certain the LUKS passphrase was being keyed in correctly. I
> may post this on the mailing list soon. Thanks for your input on this also.

Welcome.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

panorain

Jan 16, 2024, 4:31:38 PMJan 16
Thank you Carlos. Hot pluging allows the drive to be seen on another
desktop. sudo fdisk -l displays the drive as /dev/sdc .Passing the
following: error:Thinkcentre-M57p:~> mount /dev/sdc
mount: /dev/sdc: can't find in /etc/fstab.

Passing: lsblk -f displays: sdc
crypto_LUKS 2 fd28e551-c765-461e-aab0-a2c49bb786b9

Before I wrote the initial message on this I to connected the drive then
powercycled. Once in KDE the mount applet in systray was able to display
the drive then I could try and enter the passphrase (which fails). Why
now, mount /etc/sdc displays an fstab error? Should I add UUID into
machines current fstab file and where? Anyways i've been looking here
now https://askubuntu.com/questions/1427614/how-can-i-rebuild-etc-crypttab

I don't know why the message fails to send ((might have forgot to add
newsgroup). Ok well thanks

panorain

Jan 16, 2024, 4:32:54 PMJan 16

Carlos E. R.

Jan 16, 2024, 9:57:56 PMJan 16
On 2024-01-16 22:31, panorain wrote:
> On 1/15/24 15:14, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> Is openSUSE Tumbleweed hot plugging enabled by default?
>>
>> I don't use TW, but I assume it is. It depends on the particular
>> desktop you use, I understand.
>>
>>> Is there a way to see if hot plugging is enabled? The last time the
>>> mentioned medium was updated was after usr merge (I think). I do
>>> know, the medium has little critical data on it. In the very least it
>>> is an interesting experiment to try and mount. I did attach a PS/2
>>> keyboard in order to really be certain the LUKS passphrase was being
>>> keyed in correctly. I may post this on the mailing list soon. Thanks
>>> for your input on this also.
>>
>> Welcome.
>>
> Thank you Carlos. Hot pluging allows the drive to be seen on another
> desktop. sudo fdisk -l displays the drive as /dev/sdc .Passing the
> following: error:Thinkcentre-M57p:~> mount /dev/sdc
> mount: /dev/sdc: can't find in /etc/fstab.

You failed to give a mount point.

Besides, you are trying to mount the disk, not a partition, and it is
encrypted. That's not the device node to supply to the mount command. It
will be one of the devices in /dev/mapper/, after you create it with the
proper password:

cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdc cr_ARBITRARY_NAME

Information:

blkid /dev/mapper/$CR_NAME

cryptsetup status $CR_NAME

dmsetup ls

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

panorain

Jan 17, 2024, 10:38:43 AMJan 17
Thanks for this help. Information:
Thinkcentre-M57p:/ # blkid /dev/mapper/Kingston-120GB-SSD
/dev/mapper/Kingston-120GB-SSD:
UUID="lcEavO-8dpP-VESH-CdZY-afZC-eX9W-B4i2wo" TYPE="LVM2_member"
Thinkcentre-M57p:/ # cryptsetup status Kingston-120GB-SSD
/dev/mapper/Kingston-120GB-SSD is active.
type: LUKS1
cipher: aes-xts-plain64
keysize: 512 bits
key location: dm-crypt