Mailx not working

root

Jun 7, 2022, 1:27:21 PM6/7/22
This morning mailx fails with:
mailx: could not initiate TLS connection:
error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)

I can only conclude this is the result of
something new at gmail. Any suggestions?

root

Jun 7, 2022, 1:34:00 PM6/7/22
I can send to some addresses. It must be that
the destination has to be updated to accept
oauth2.

Bit Twister

Jun 7, 2022, 8:07:12 PM6/7/22
I can not say for sure but I do know I seem to get gmail
failures every two or three days from my 24/7 hourly fetchmail cron
jobs. All of them are log in failures. I noticed fetchmail goes
into a tight loop upon login failure. Had to add a spawn kill fetchmail
if still running after a minute.

My guess was that gmail suspends your login if too many attempts
from your ip. I have seven separate accounts running fetchmail on
the hour and assumed I cross a threshold every once in awhile.

Grant Taylor

Jun 7, 2022, 11:52:04 PM6/7/22
On 6/7/22 11:33 AM, root wrote:
> I can send to some addresses. It must be that the destination has to
> be updated to accept oauth2.

That doesn't make sense.

OAuth(2) is at the SMTP layer which rides on top of the lower TLS (via
STARTTLS) layer.

You indicate that the error is at the lower (START)TLS layer.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

root

Jun 8, 2022, 1:14:29 PM6/8/22
Thanks Grant. I just think the damned mail business should work,
an not require me to probe into the works.

root

Jun 8, 2022, 1:17:22 PM6/8/22
I don't use chron to fetchmail. I just pull it down from time
to time. I got this message on the second of three emails
that I pulled down together. A while later I was able to
send email to the site. Still later I got the TLS message
again. I have mit.edu address for the recipient so I can
still get email to him.

Ben Collver

Jun 8, 2022, 3:05:05 PM6/8/22
On 2022-06-08, root <NoE...@home.org> wrote:
> I just think the damned mail business should work,
> an not require me to probe into the works.

Maybe this could be solved with analprint too-olfactory auth.

https://is.gd/Kriq13

Bozo User

Jan 20, 2024, 6:57:13 PMJan 20
GMail disabled plain IMAP/SMTP support without 0Auth.
You need to use a bloated Thunderbird or KMail to login,
sadly.

Lew Pitcher

Jan 20, 2024, 7:16:12 PMJan 20
The OP could log into the gmail account via the web, and obtain
an "app password" for "third party connections". The OP can then
use this "app password" as the gmail password in his mailx to
get remote access to the gmail mail store.

That's how I download my gmail mail: fetchmail logs on to gmail
with the "app password", and uses POP3 to retrieve my gmail
to my LAN mail server.

HTH
--
Lew Pitcher