Can't figure out how to use a CUPS print server on LAN

slash

Mar 16, 2023, 6:04:40 PM3/16/23

I have CUPS running, and printing, on another Linux box. CUPS is installed, but
not running, on the local box. On this box, Slackware 15, KDE, I get this far:

https://i.ibb.co/Tt8jxL7/print-settings.png

If I close that window, everything is lost, I have to connect again to the
server. Even with that window still open, from any application, if I try to
print, I get a "No printer available" type of message.

What am I missing? I've seen plenty of CUPS tutorial around, but no one covering
this case.

Thanks for any hint.

/

Sylvain Robitaille

May 4, 2023, 1:18:09 PM5/4/23
Sorry for not responding sooner. I don't read newsgroups as regularly
as I once did, but here goes my (hopefully not too feeble) attempt to
help ...

### /etc/cups/client.conf
ServerName printhost.mydomain.tld/version=1.1

(well, mine has extensive comments in the file as well ...)

See also client.conf(5) ("man client.conf"), and (possibly?)
/usr/doc/cups-${version}/help/man-client.conf.html

I hope that helps ...

Sylvain Robitaille s...@therockgarden.ca

slash

May 5, 2023, 4:31:04 AM5/5/23
On 5/4/23 19:18, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:
> On 2023-03-16, slash wrote:
>
>> I have CUPS running, and printing, on another Linux box. CUPS is
>> installed, but not running, on the local box. On this box, Slackware
>> 15, KDE, I get this far:
>>
>> https://i.ibb.co/Tt8jxL7/print-settings.png
>>
>> If I close that window, everything is lost, I have to connect again to
>> the server. Even with that window still open, from any application, if
>> I try to print, I get a "No printer available" type of message.
>>
>> What am I missing? I've seen plenty of CUPS tutorial around, but no
>> one covering this case.
>
> Sorry for not responding sooner. I don't read newsgroups as regularly
> as I once did, but here goes my (hopefully not too feeble) attempt to
> help ...
>
> ### /etc/cups/client.conf
> ServerName printhost.mydomain.tld/version=1.1
>
> (well, mine has extensive comments in the file as well ...)
>
> See also client.conf(5) ("man client.conf"), and (possibly?)
> /usr/doc/cups-${version}/help/man-client.conf.html
>
> I hope that helps ...

Thanks Sylvain, your help is really appreciated. I'll look into it ASAP.

--
/