Let's encrypt cert missing in Slackware64 15

Marco Moock

Dec 26, 2023, 6:46:59 AM12/26/23
Hello!

I installed Slackware64 in VirtualBox.

When I try to use slackpkg, verification of the checksum fails at the
end.

When I try to manually download the key to diagnose that,

root@slack:/home/m# wget https://www.slackware.com/infra/keys/GPG-KEY
--2023-12-26 12:32:09-- https://www.slackware.com/infra/keys/GPG-KEY
Resolving www.slackware.com (www.slackware.com)...
2a02:26f0:7100::211:64c2, 2a02:26f0:7100::211:6498, 2.20.143.113, ...
Connecting to www.slackware.com
(www.slackware.com)|2a02:26f0:7100::211:64c2|:443... connected. ERROR:
cannot verify www.slackware.com's certificate, issued by ‘CN=R3,O=Let's
Encrypt,C=US’: Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority. To
connect to www.slackware.com insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.
root@slack:/home/m#

In /etc/ssl are certificates, but not Let's encrypt. What is the reason
for that?
Is that intended or did something at the installation process fail?

I am aware that I can manually add it, but for me that case looks
rather strange because Slackware's official servers can't be used
without it.

--
kind regards
Marco

Spam und Werbung bitte an ichwillges...@nirvana.admins.ws

RinaldiJ

Dec 26, 2023, 3:10:24 PM12/26/23
On 12/26/23 05:46, Marco Moock wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I installed Slackware64 in VirtualBox.
>
> When I try to use slackpkg, verification of the checksum fails at the
> end.

Did you run:

# slackpkg update gpg

Rinaldi

Marco Moock

Dec 26, 2023, 3:29:33 PM12/26/23
Am 26.12.2023 um 14:10:20 Uhr schrieb RinaldiJ:

> Did you run:
>
> # slackpkg update gpg

I did.

root@slack:/home/m# slackpkg update gpg

Getting key from
https://www.slackware.com/infra/keys/GPG-KEY

root@slack:/home/m#

Although, the error keeps the same.

Is gpg related to the X.509 certs in /etc/ssl?

I think the missing Let's Encrypt certificate is a serious issue here
because it breaks much TLS stuff.

Alexander Grotewohl

Dec 26, 2023, 9:05:47 PM12/26/23
Did you perhaps pick a custom selection of software to install? "Don't
need this, don't need that" type of thing?

Despite how it looks, last I tried it, to get slackpkg working needs a
large list of dependencies that aren't marked "required" or might not be
obvious..

If it's broke with installing everything, then it might actually be broke.

Alex

Marco Moock

Dec 27, 2023, 1:27:11 AM12/27/23
Am 27.12.2023 um 02:05:43 Uhr schrieb Alexander Grotewohl:

> Did you perhaps pick a custom selection of software to install?
> "Don't need this, don't need that" type of thing?

Yes, I did.
Which sections does it definitely need?

For example I didn't select Xfce nor KDE desktop.

Henrik Carlqvist

Dec 27, 2023, 2:20:37 AM12/27/23
On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 07:27:07 +0100, Marco Moock wrote:
> Which sections does it definitely need?
>
> For example I didn't select Xfce nor KDE desktop.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a dependency map of all Slackware
packages, the recomended way to install Slackware is a full install.

However, your error might indicate that the ca-certificates package is
missing or outdated. Since Slackware 15.0 was released, the ca-
certificates package has been updated no less than 10 times if I count
correctly. The last update of ca-certificates was in November this year.

To install Slackware, did you download an iso file? Or do you possibly
have an old official DVD/CDROM slackware installation media from the good
old time when it was possible to purchace official installation media?
The GPG-KEY file that you are looking for were included on the good old
official installation media as well as the isos that you download
yourself today. The tricky thing with the isos that you download yourself
is that you somehow need to ask yourself "how do I know that this GPG-KEY
fila on this .iso has not been tampered with?".

regards Henrik

Marco Moock

Dec 27, 2023, 3:59:18 AM12/27/23
Am 27.12.2023 um 07:20:34 Uhr schrieb Henrik Carlqvist:

> To install Slackware, did you download an iso file?

I did use the Slackware64 15 iso.

Although, I will do a reinstall and carefully document what I will do.

Marco Moock

Dec 27, 2023, 6:52:23 AM12/27/23
Am 27.12.2023 um 09:59:14 Uhr schrieb Marco Moock:

> Although, I will do a reinstall and carefully document what I will do.

I now only unselected KDE, kernel sources and Xfce.

Now it works, he LE certs seems to be there and slackpkg works.