crappy non-enlargable web fonts

notbob

Aug 22, 2007, 10:42:41 AM8/22/07
What's going on, here? I go to a web site like yahoo or linux.com...

http://www.linux.com/feature/118645

...and I see these really lousy fonts that will not enlarge when I
zoom my browser. All the ads and even some images enlarge, but not
this crappy courier font that's apperently aimed at ppl with
non-geezer eyes. I didn't used to care much, seeing as I rarely ever
viewed yahoo anything and yahoo was the first place I ran across this
PIA. Now, I'm seeing it more and more often. I'm using mozilla 1.7.5
in slack 10.1 and one user acct has TT fonts loaded while another does
not. It makes no difference. So, the question is, what do I need to
do to get these non-scaling fonts to enlarge? Just throw me a bone
and I'll do the digging.

nb

nb

Steven J Masta

Aug 22, 2007, 11:38:29 AM8/22/07

That website and a lot of others specify their own fonts as
arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif. If you don't have Arial or Helvetica
installed it will use Clean, which is non-scalable crap. Install Arial
or Helvetica, or uninstall Clean and that should fix it. If 10.1 uses
fontconfig there appears to be a way to alias one font to another, but I
wasn't able to figure it out. I just installed Arial instead.

Steve

motion musso: aka sathia

Aug 22, 2007, 11:46:40 AM8/22/07
Steven J Masta wrote:

or upgrade your slackware we are at the 12th version now.

--
gaute la nata

Kees Theunissen

Aug 22, 2007, 12:08:24 PM8/22/07
notbob wrote:
> What's going on, here? I go to a web site like yahoo or linux.com...
>
> http://www.linux.com/feature/118645
>
> ...and I see these really lousy fonts that will not enlarge when I
> zoom my browser. All the ads and even some images enlarge, but not
> this crappy courier font that's apperently aimed at ppl with
> non-geezer eyes.

Slack 10.2 here, Mozilla 1.7.13.
If I unchek
Edit --> Preferences --. Appearance --> Fonts
--> Allow documents to use other fonts
then I'm able to zoom in and out.

This will probably mess up other sites.

Regards,

Kees.

--
Kees Theunissen.

Steven J Masta

Aug 22, 2007, 1:48:29 PM8/22/07

I'm running 12.0 - It doesn't come with Arial or Helvetica and Clean is
non-scalable. I had the same problems as the OP.

Steve

Rhoda Morgenstern

Aug 22, 2007, 2:17:43 PM8/22/07

>http://www.linux.com/feature/118645

Get rid of Mozilla. Use Seamonkey, at least.

You have to set your fonts in seamonkey, xorg.conf, and don't forget
the fc-cache command from root.

Do a search for so-called "liberation truetype fonts." They are
superb - better than the ones you steal from Microsoft.

cordially, as always,

rm

Rhoda Morgenstern

Aug 22, 2007, 2:21:28 PM8/22/07

There is a box you can click in mozilla that says to use your own
fonts.

Don't forget to install the liberation fonts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_fonts

cordially, as always,

rm

notbob

Aug 22, 2007, 3:14:46 PM8/22/07
On 2007-08-22, Rhoda Morgenstern <r...@livefreeorbye.ca> wrote:

> Get rid of Mozilla. Use Seamonkey, at least.

Seamonkey IS Mozilla.

> You have to set your fonts in seamonkey, xorg.conf, and don't forget
> the fc-cache command from root.

Been there, done that. I'm looking at that arial and helvetica thing.
Damned if they're nowhere to be found on my system. hmmm...

> Do a search for so-called "liberation truetype fonts."

The TT fonts I loaded ARE "liberation". No help there.

> cordially, as always,

Dang, rm! See, you can be truly helpful and cordial when you want,
even if the help is short. I'd say kudos, but it's all just too
creepy. Sorry, but you've typecast yourself.

nb

notbob

Aug 22, 2007, 3:22:23 PM8/22/07
On 2007-08-22, Kees Theunissen <theu...@rijnh.nl> wrote:

> If I unchek
> Edit --> Preferences --. Appearance --> Fonts
> --> Allow documents to use other fonts
> then I'm able to zoom in and out.

Tried that. No luck. Thnx.

nb

notbob

Aug 22, 2007, 3:27:33 PM8/22/07
On 2007-08-22, Steven J Masta <sma...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> That website and a lot of others specify their own fonts as
> arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif. If you don't have Arial or Helvetica
> installed it will use Clean, which is non-scalable crap. Install Arial

> or Helvetica....

Hmmm... I really DON'T have arial or helvetica, except for a
phpMyAdmin www library. Who knew? I'll pursue your lead. Thnx.

nb

Thomas Overgaard

Aug 22, 2007, 4:04:41 PM8/22/07

Steven J. Masta wrote :

> I'm running 12.0 - It doesn't come with Arial or Helvetica and Clean
> is non-scalable. I had the same problems as the OP.

My laptop came with WinXP preinstalled and before I upgraded this OS to
Slackware I made a backup of all the true type fonts.

One of the first things I do after a fresh install is to copy these
fonts into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF. I'm running Slackware 12 now
and I don't have the problem.
--
Thomas O.

Rhoda Morgenstern

Aug 22, 2007, 6:44:33 PM8/22/07
Thomas Overgaard <tho...@post2.tele.dk> says:
>Steven J. Masta wrote :

>> I'm running 12.0 - It doesn't come with Arial or Helvetica and
>> Clean is non-scalable. I had the same problems as the OP.

>My laptop came with WinXP preinstalled and before I upgraded this
>OS to Slackware I made a backup of all the true type fonts.

How can you upgrade from windoze to linux? Or are you just tying to
be a cute little zealot?

cordially, as always,

rm

Dan C

Aug 22, 2007, 10:57:39 PM8/22/07
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 22:44:33 +0000, Rhoda Morgenstern trolled:

>>My laptop came with WinXP preinstalled and before I upgraded this
>>OS to Slackware I made a backup of all the true type fonts.

> How can you upgrade from windoze to linux? Or are you just tying to
> be a cute little zealot?

By overwriting it, you dumbfuck troll.

> cordially, as always,

Smeg off and die, troll.

--
"Bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet stepped on the land mine.

acel...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2007, 2:53:58 AM8/23/07
On Aug 22, 10:48 am, Steven J Masta <sma...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> motion musso: aka sathia wrote:
>
> > Steven J Masta wrote:

<snip>

> I'm running 12.0 - It doesn't come with Arial or Helvetica and Clean is
> non-scalable. I had the same problems as the OP.

Ditto (on 12.0). Except that I had courier instead of clean specified
in Firefox 2.0

Yucky, too small, not scalable fonts on that web page.

I fixed it, as in the what's next (works for me though I don't endorse
it for others use -- use at your own risk)
--

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF

renamed that to:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/old_TTF

created:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/liberation_ttf

made a symlink:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF

that symlink points to:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/liberation_ttf

downloaded the tar.gz from here:

https://www.redhat.com/promo/fonts/

got the fonts extracted from that, did chown root.root *.ttf

got those fonts into:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/liberation_ttf

did next command:

# fc-cache

restarted Firefox 2.0 then in its preferences, content tab, I set the
default font to: liberation sans

I used the advanced font button, specified minimum sizes for both
variable and fixed width fonts.

I then unchecked that option for to "allow web pages to choose their
own fonts"

*Now* I can read the dang web pages. liberation sans ain't bad.

Pretty nice, actually. workable for me.

Thanks!!

Ron Gibson

Aug 27, 2007, 10:56:51 AM8/27/07
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 09:42:41 -0500, notbob wrote:

> ...and I see these really lousy fonts that will not enlarge when I zoom
> my browser. All the ads and even some images enlarge, but not this
crappy courier font that's apparently aimed at ppl with non-geezer

eyes. I didn't used to care much, seeing as I rarely ever viewed yahoo
anything and yahoo was the first place I ran across this PIA.

> So, the question is, what do I need to do to get these non-scaling

> fonts to enlarge? Just throw me a bone and I'll do the digging.

For an overview try these three links

http://en.opensuse.org/
Optimal_Use_of_MS_TrueType_Core_Fonts_for_a_KDE_Desktop_on_SuSE#The_Bytec
ode_Interpreter

or...

http://tinyurl.com/22shva

That one is for Suse but has some good information.

Also...

http://www.rsgibson.com/lin-font.htm

http://www.rsgibson.com/xfont.htm

These two are getting dated now but it addresses the basic issues.

Do

ps aux |grep -i xfs

To make sure xfs is running (Font server)

Try

xset -q

To verify your fontpath

Try

xlsfonts |grep -i <fontname>

Where font name is a font that should be installed

Also in Seamonkey try

about:config

Search for truetype, font and any thing else you can think of related to
font rendering.

I also had some new notes I wanted to use to update those pages on my
site but I can't find them now, of course.

Getting really good font rendering in X, especially Seamonkey, can be a
bit of a PITA. But it can be done and the work is more time consuming
than hard to understand. And it seems it varies based on the hardware
used as to which tweaks work the best.

If you have them I suggest Verdana as the scalable font. It's a
sans serif font. I use Georgia for my serif font. Tahoma is also a nice
font for browsers.

Did you change something and this started happening? IOW, what arwe the
surrounding conditions that has caused this problem?

Email - rsgi...@verizon.borg
Replace borg with net

Ron Gibson

Aug 27, 2007, 1:10:27 PM8/27/07
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:22:23 -0500, notbob wrote:

>> If I unchek
>> Edit --> Preferences --. Appearance --> Fonts
>> --> Allow documents to use other fonts
>> then I'm able to zoom in and out.

> Tried that. No luck. Thnx.

Hey nb here's the MS package of core internet fonts they released some
time back...

ftp://ftp.rsgibson.com/pub/linux/MS_TT_Core_Fonts.tgz

Beej Jorgensen

Aug 29, 2007, 5:21:43 AM8/29/07
notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:
>...and I see these really lousy fonts that will not enlarge when I
>zoom my browser.

Hello again, folks!

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but this thing was pissing me off.

I also tried getting some other font to work as an alias for Helvetica
or Arial, but no dice. fontconfig was reporting (from a stock install)
that they both mapped to DejaVu Sans, which was fine with me, but
Firefox didn't seem to notice. I read somewhere that the Firefox font
stuff is GNOME-related and not so much fontconfig-related, and sure
enough gucharmap didn't know anything about any of the aliased fonts.

(If there's one thing we have too many of, it's font subsystems!
Sheesh!)

I agree with Steve that the "clean" font was the problem, since I threw
together a little test page to demonstrate it, and so followed his lead
and installed the MS Arial font. But where to get it and all that?

Found a great little web page talking about how to get them into
RPM-based systems, so I figured I might as well do the same for
Slackers. That gentleman says the font's terms prohibit distribution of
a repackaged version, and I chose to believe that without verification,
so from my web page you can download the .exes and the tools and
SlackBuild scripts necessary to make your own packages, which is
actually pretty easy:

http://beej.us/msftfonts/

Simply installing the Arial font fixed the Firefox font issue for me.
Now I can easily read Yahoo! News Most Popular Again! Let's see what's
there!

Doctor killed Beethoven with a lead overdose!

Dang! Just like mom always said: never go to a doctor sponsored by the
lead industry if you know what's good for you.

-Beej

PS. I promise to think about more closely monitoring the newsgroup, but
better cc me if you want to report an issue, just in case. I barely
know what I'm doing with fonts, so it wouldn't surprise me if something
was amiss.

notbob

Aug 29, 2007, 9:53:10 AM8/29/07
On 2007-08-29, Beej Jorgensen <be...@beej.us> wrote:

> (If there's one thing we have too many of, it's font subsystems!
> Sheesh!)

Boy, howdy!

> http://beej.us/msftfonts/

thanks, beej. I'll take a closer look when I get the time, but I'm
moving and barely have time to glance at news before I kill my
account.

I also ran across this resource for slackware fonts, which I've yet to
fully explore, but a glance looks pretty good. I'll include it to get
it in the archive for this thread. Thank you, Jeff McCoy:

http://www.jeffmccoy.info/linux/config/fonts/fonts.php

nb ...see you on the other side. ;)