Kernel Panic!

Richmond

Apr 26, 2021, 10:42:25 AM4/26/21
I upgraded a laptop running 14.2 using slackpkg, and afterwards it will
not boot. Lilo hangs after BIOS check. I tried grub super rescue but
cannot find a kernel which works, either they hang or panic.

I upgraded using:

slackpkg update
~ install-new
~ upgrade-all
~ clean-system

Is there a way to revert to the previous kernel? I cannot find it.

Chris Vine

Apr 26, 2021, 4:11:18 PM4/26/21
You probably either (i) didn't rebuild your initrd if you are using the
generic rather than the huge kernel (see README.initrd in the slackware
distribution), or (ii) didn't run lilo (legacy boot) or eliloconfig
(UEFI boot) after installing the new kernel.

Jimmy Johnson

Apr 26, 2021, 4:38:59 PM4/26/21
If you can boot, put a 3 at the end of the boot syntax before you boot
and run the upgrade again. See if that helps.

I run multiple computers for testing and there are 3 computers on my
desktop with amd and intel and each one has 14.2 installed, none have
had boot problems. I say this to let you know the problem is probably
somewhere between the chair and the keyboard. But I really don't know a
lot about much of anything. :)
--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 Current - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda6
Registered Linux User #380263

D Br

May 11, 2021, 1:36:16 PM5/11/21
Another alternative (Because I've upgraded without running lilo myself) is to:

1) boot from DVD (I havent done USB stick),
2) mount your root partition
3) chroot your root partition
4) mount -a
5) Then run lilo.

After that reboot and if every ran without issues it should boot normally

cjd

Jun 8, 2021, 11:51:19 PM6/8/21
To tack on to this, booting from your Slackware install USB/DVD and
chrooting into the root filesystem can help you address these issues.