Any issues removing Midnight commander

Clark Smith

Jan 15, 2022, 9:59:30 AMJan 15
I want to remove it because I have no use for it, and it gets
invoked when I type 'mc' by mistake when I mean 'mv' - it does not happen
often, but when it does it annoys the hell out of me.

Are there any Slackware applications in the Slackware
distribution that depend on Midnight commander?

root

Jan 15, 2022, 10:51:56 AMJan 15
Just rename it MC. I use it every once in a while to delete
strange files.

Rich

Jan 15, 2022, 11:22:15 AMJan 15
Clark Smith <noad...@nowhere.net> wrote:
> I want to remove it because I have no use for it, and it gets
> invoked when I type 'mc' by mistake when I mean 'mv' - it does not
> happen often, but when it does it annoys the hell out of me.

In addition to root's suggestion, you can also setup a shell alias to
load for all your interactive shells to map "mc" to "mv":

alias mc=mv

does the job.

Put in the shell startup files (check manpage for files) to have it
loaded in all shells everywhere.

> Are there any Slackware applications in the Slackware
> distribution that depend on Midnight commander?

Doubtful, as it is a terminal GUI file manager. You can also remove it
and see. If anything fails, download and reinstall the tgz from
slackware.com for the Slackware version you are running.

Clark Smith

Jan 15, 2022, 11:47:58 AMJan 15
Thanks, guys. In the end, I have decided to just remove it, for
it can be trivially installed if any issues arise.

Aragorn

Jan 15, 2022, 2:48:19 PMJan 15
On 15.01.2022 at 14:59, Clark Smith scribbled:
The only one I can think of is Midnight Commander's built-in editor,
"mcedit". Other than that nothing should depend on it.

Itself, it does of course depend on other things, such as ncurses. But
Slackware doesn't do dependency checking either way, so removing
Midnight Commander won't remove ncurses — and that's a good thing,
because you'll want to hold on to that.

--
With respect,
= Aragorn =

Jim Diamond

Jan 17, 2022, 1:12:05 PMJan 17
Like you, I have no use for it and (in the past) occasionally started
it up accidentally just like you.

I deleted it long ago and I have not seen any negative effect of doing
so. Thus I expect you will be fine.

Jim

Clark Smith

Jan 17, 2022, 2:24:53 PMJan 17