Joining Slackware Newsgroup

Julien DEMESY

Feb 1, 2023, 11:18:57 AM2/1/23
Hello everyone who is still here !

29yo french dude from France, programming since 12yo, professional linux embedded systems engineer working in Basel.

Slackware is really my distro from heart ! Patreon too. And started to dive in the newsgroups a few months back.

Hope that this place never totally dies out... :/
Using Slackware on my trusty Thinkpad.

So just a hello here and i'll be hanging around, helping, or asking for help ;)

Cheers!

Julien

-= Get GrabIt for free from https://www.shemes.com/ =-

Ben Collver

Feb 1, 2023, 12:23:25 PM2/1/23
On 2023-02-01, Julien DEMESY <jul...@demesy.eu> wrote:
> Hello everyone who is still here !
>
> Hope that this place never totally dies out... :/
> Using Slackware on my trusty Thinkpad.

Welcome aboard Julien. Let's keep this place going!

46 year old USA ex-IT dude here. Freedom programmer at heart.

-Ben

Lew Pitcher

Feb 1, 2023, 12:45:52 PM2/1/23
On Wed, 01 Feb 2023 17:18:55 +0100, Julien DEMESY wrote:

> Hello everyone who is still here !

Bonjour, Julien

Welcome to alt.os.linux.slackware, and the family of die-hard Slackware
users.

I'm a 67 year old, retired IT jack-of-all-trades (programmer, analyst,
architect, system programmer, etc) here, still playing, using and learning
about computing.

Glad you could join us.
--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills We Trust"

Marco Moock

Feb 1, 2023, 12:50:19 PM2/1/23
Am 01.02.2023 um 17:18:55 Uhr schrieb Julien DEMESY:

> 29yo french dude from France, programming since 12yo, professional
> linux embedded systems engineer working in Basel.

I am 21, I did some programming in school, but networking and Linux
(mostly Debian/Ubuntu) was much more interesting that programming.

> Slackware is really my distro from heart ! Patreon too. And started
> to dive in the newsgroups a few months back.

Great. How did you find that place?

Henrik Carlqvist

Feb 1, 2023, 12:51:15 PM2/1/23
On Wed, 01 Feb 2023 17:18:55 +0100, Julien DEMESY wrote:
> Hello everyone who is still here !

Welcome to a.o.l.s!

Here is a 55 yo from Sweden. I started with Slackware 3.0 1995 and have
some small projects at sourceforge like https://splitjob.sourceforge.net/

regards Henrik

Jimmy Johnson

Feb 1, 2023, 2:11:33 PM2/1/23
On 02/01/2023 08:18 AM, Julien DEMESY wrote:
> Hello everyone who is still here !
>
> 29yo french dude from France, programming since 12yo, professional linux embedded systems engineer working in Basel.
>
> Slackware is really my distro from heart ! Patreon too. And started to dive in the newsgroups a few months back.
>
> Hope that this place never totally dies out... :/
> Using Slackware on my trusty Thinkpad.

Hello Julien and everybody else reading this,

I'm a retired hardware engineer who specialized in micro computers, I
will soon be 77yrs young, I built my first computer in '75. I don't do
anymore keyboarding than I have to, I call you keyboarders "keyboard
jockeys", I don't mean it as a insult so please don't take it that way,
it's just that my fingers get tangled up when using a keyboard. :) I own
3 Thinkpads all have Slackware installed. I'm currently using 2 dell
laptops and one hp desktop all 3 are running on my desktop most all the
time, I test Linux meaning I have at lest 6 versions or more Linux
distros installed, for Slackware I have 14.2, 15.0 and Current
installed, other systems I have installed are MX-Linux, antiX, PCLinuxOS
and a couple of distros I put together called Alien and Alien Core.

So welcome and enjoy this quiet newsgroup,
--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 Current - Intel i7-2820QM - at sda13
Registered Linux User #380263

Rich

Feb 1, 2023, 3:15:18 PM2/1/23
Julien DEMESY <jul...@demesy.eu> wrote:
> Hello everyone who is still here !
>
> 29yo french dude from France, programming since 12yo, professional
> linux embedded systems engineer working in Basel.
>
> Slackware is really my distro from heart ! Patreon too. And started
> to dive in the newsgroups a few months back.
>
> Hope that this place never totally dies out... :/
> Using Slackware on my trusty Thinkpad.
>
> So just a hello here and i'll be hanging around, helping, or asking
> for help ;)

In my case, I'll be 56 this summer, rather a jack of all trades. Been
programming since ~ 15yo.

First installed Slackware from the "stack-o-floppy" disks when it was
new as a follow on from SLS (Softlanding Systems)
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softlanding_Linux_System) which was the
first Linux distro I installed.

Been using Slackware ever since.

Stephen Chadfield

Feb 3, 2023, 5:22:09 AM2/3/23
On 2023-02-01, Julien DEMESY <jul...@demesy.eu> wrote:
> Hello everyone who is still here !

59 and semi-retired. Did my first Slackware install in 1994 but I have
not been a loyal user since. Came back to it recently, though, and I am
finding it better than ever.

I develop an open source shogi (Japanese chess) analysis GUI:

https://github.com/schadfield/shogi-explorer

--
Stephen Chadfield
https://www.chadfield.com/

andrew

Feb 4, 2023, 6:35:09 PM2/4/23
On 2023-02-01, Julien DEMESY <jul...@demesy.eu> wrote:

> Hello everyone who is still here !

And a hello back at you :)

Andrew
--
You think that's air you're breathing now?

Ted Heise

Feb 14, 2023, 12:06:11 PM2/14/23
On Wed, 1 Feb 2023 17:51:13 -0000 (UTC),
Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.C...@deadspam.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Feb 2023 17:18:55 +0100, Julien DEMESY wrote:
> > Hello everyone who is still here !
>
> Welcome to a.o.l.s!

My welcome too!

I'm a 67 year old scientist who ran his own home server for many
years: heise.nu (now retired).

> Here is a 55 yo from Sweden. I started with Slackware 3.0 1995
> and have some small projects at sourceforge like
> https://splitjob.sourceforge.net/

Ah Henrik, you are younger than I'd imagined. And others here
even younger than I would have expected (though Lew turns out to
be the age I thought of him as).

Seeing the youngsters gives me hope that Usenet may stay alive for
some time to come!

--
Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Henrik Carlqvist

Feb 14, 2023, 1:34:40 PM2/14/23
On Tue, 14 Feb 2023 17:06:08 +0000, Ted Heise wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Feb 2023 17:51:13 -0000 (UTC),
> Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.C...@deadspam.com> wrote:
>> Here is a 55 yo from Sweden. I started with Slackware 3.0 1995 and
>> have some small projects at sourceforge like
>> https://splitjob.sourceforge.net/
>
> Ah Henrik, you are younger than I'd imagined.

I started as a kid with computers in the mid 70s with a Wang 2200 with
basic in ROM. As I couldn't speak english then I edited basic sources to
translate those print strings using an english to swedish dictionary.
That way I got swedish programs that I could understand. Then I started
to experiment by also modifying the basic code.

The Wang 2200 was later replaced by a machine which didn't have basic in
ROM. Instead it had something called an operating system. This operating
system was named CP/M. Some years later that CP/M machine was replaced
with a PC/XT running DOS with a syntax rather reverse to the CP/M syntax.

On a PC/AT I ran Windows version 1 on top of DOS and continued with
version 2 and version 3. I also tried the more lightweight DESQview i386.

At school and later at Work I ran SunOS/Solaris and that was the way to
Linux on x86. Windows 95 only needed a quick glance to decide that
Slackware 3.0 was superior.

When switching from Windows 3.11 to Windows NT I was really impressed.
This was a full grown OS with things like differnt users and system log
functinality. Most of all Windows NT was a lot more stable than Windows
3.11.

As some colleagues at work did prefer Unix instead of Windows but work
did not want to pay for expensive Sun workstations for everyone I started
to evaluate Linux (Slackware) on my work PC. Compared to Solaris it was
rather nice. It had lots of applications, colored text at console and in
terminals and it was basically free!

Once I had gotten my happy colleagues on to Linux on cheap PC machines I
went back to my dual boot NT installation which I really did like. At
this time I was a big fan of Windows and was even running a BBS with
Excalibur BBS software on Windows. Back on NT I found that everything
that I was so impressed by in NT was things that I simply had taken for
granted when running Slackware. I permanently went back to Slackware and
removed the dual boot option.

> Seeing the youngsters gives me hope that Usenet may stay alive for some
> time to come!

Lets hope a.o.l.s continues as a useful resource.

regards Henrik

John McCue

Feb 14, 2023, 5:26:15 PM2/14/23
Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.C...@deadspam.com> wrote:
<snip>
> I started as a kid with computers in the mid 70s with a Wang 2200 with
> basic in ROM.

Nice, I started my IT career at Wang as an operator
(now = admin) on Wang VS and the 2200 in the late 70s.

> The Wang 2200 was later replaced by a machine which didn't have basic in
> ROM. Instead it had something called an operating system. This operating
> system was named CP/M. Some years later that CP/M machine was replaced
> with a PC/XT running DOS with a syntax rather reverse to the CP/M syntax.

Wang's path to oblivion :(

<snip>

>> Seeing the youngsters gives me hope that Usenet may stay alive for some
>> time to come!
>
> Lets hope a.o.l.s continues as a useful resource.

Same here

--
[t]csh(1) - "An elegant shell, for a more... civilized age."
- Paraphrasing Star Wars

Ted Heise

Feb 15, 2023, 10:08:20 AM2/15/23
On Tue, 14 Feb 2023 22:26:12 -0000 (UTC),
John McCue <jmc...@magnetar.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> wrote:
> Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.C...@deadspam.com> wrote:
> <snip>

I enjoyed reading about all your history, Henrik. :)

> > I started as a kid with computers in the mid 70s with a Wang
> > 2200 with basic in ROM.
>
> Nice, I started my IT career at Wang as an operator (now =
> admin) on Wang VS and the 2200 in the late 70s.

Interesting. I have a vague memory of a college chemistry (or
physics?) lab in 1974 that used a Wang device. It had some kind
of reader that took a single punch card. Pretty simple stuff.

> >> Seeing the youngsters gives me hope that Usenet may stay
> >> alive for some time to come!
> >
> > Lets hope a.o.l.s continues as a useful resource.
>
> Same here

+1

Seems some of the really niche groups have managed to stay
relatively signal rich, though with a diminished signal over years
past.

Gilberto F da Silva

Feb 15, 2023, 5:32:35 PM2/15/23

John McCue

Feb 16, 2023, 4:31:33 PM2/16/23
Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Interesting. I have a vague memory of a college chemistry (or
> physics?) lab in 1974 that used a Wang device. It had some kind
> of reader that took a single punch card. Pretty simple stuff.

I suspect it was their calculator, I was in school at
the time but my Math teacher I brought one into to
school time. He worked at Wang part-time in the
afternoon. It was also rather large compared to what
came out in like 5 years.

Ted Heise

Feb 18, 2023, 9:24:49 PM2/18/23
Maybe. My recollection is they had a bank of 'em, and they were
not much bigger than the punch card in two dimensions--maybe 8-10
inches long, 2-3 inches wide, and 5 inches tall. They opened like
a clamshell and you set the card down into it with the card's long
side down. A buddy had gotten an HP calculator that same
semester, and it was roughly 5-6 inches square and a couple inches
tall. Had big red digit display, and could do maybe six
functions.

bad sector

Mar 8, 2023, 7:46:31 AM3/8/23
Bienvenu Julien, aucune pénurie de jeunes ici, to
paraphrase what Slackware threw at me on boot this
morning:

'pushing 80 is exercise enough'

--
War, is the school of peace