where to put -- -nolistentcp ?

Colossus

Jul 15, 2004, 1:59:12 AM7/15/04

After switching to X11 from xfree86 the netstat output
gives me two open ports from X11, the standard 6000 and
another one who changes each time I restart X. After googling
and posting without luck I decided to give the flag -- -nolistentcp
when starting X, the problem:
X is started by kdm the KDE session manager, so how to give that
flag to X ?
--
Bye,
Colossus

zebul666

Jul 15, 2004, 5:21:11 AM7/15/04
Colossus wrote:
> X is started by kdm the KDE session manager, so how to give that
> flag to X ?

you could add the switch "-nolisten tcp" at the end of the only
uncommented line of the file /opt/kde/share/config/kdm/Xservers

Max

Jul 15, 2004, 5:27:16 AM7/15/04
On 07-15-2004, in alt.os.linux.slackware,
Colossus <colossu...@freemail.it> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After switching to X11 from xfree86 the netstat output gives me
> two open ports from X11, the standard 6000 and another one who
> changes each time I restart X. After googling and posting without
> luck I decided to give the flag -- -nolistentcp when starting X,
> the problem:
> X is started by kdm the KDE session manager, so how to give that
> flag to X ?

Did you try locate 'kdm'? The output would have given you a list of
files and/or a directory where the kdm config files are stored. I
could be wrong here, as I don't have the newest KDE, but look around
for a kdm related file (possibly Xservers? or even Xstartup?) that
defines how X is called. Take a look at it. You can figure it out
from there.

Max

--
This just in: The Surgeon General has determined that installing
Microsoft Windows on computers causes brain damage,

Colossus

Jul 16, 2004, 4:01:35 AM7/16/04
Colossus wrote:

> X is started by kdm the KDE session manager, so how to give that
> flag to X ?

Thanks for replying Max and zebul666,
Now it works ! I put the flag -nolisten tcp in the
wrong file: /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers instead
of /opt/kde/share/config/kdm/Xservers

dentonj

Jul 18, 2004, 11:16:22 PM7/18/04
Colossus <colossu...@freemail.it> wrote in message news:<2lpg8iF...@uni-berlin.de>...

> Colossus wrote:
>
> > X is started by kdm the KDE session manager, so how to give that
> > flag to X ?
> Thanks for replying Max and zebul666,
> Now it works ! I put the flag -nolisten tcp in the
> wrong file: /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers instead
> of /opt/kde/share/config/kdm/Xservers

For a full list of where to stop X from listening to port 6000:

/usr/X11R6/bin/startx:
serverargs="-nolisten tcp"

/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf:
command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp

/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers:
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp

/opt/kde/share/config/kdm/Xservers:
:0 local@tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 -nolisten tcp

You may somethings see UDP Port 177 open. This is the XDMCP services
that allows remote X logins. Both Gnome and KDE have XDMCP disabled
by default. It is enabled the these files:

/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
/opt/kde/share/conf/kdm/kdmrc

XDM listens to port 177 by default. The have to edit /etc/rc.d/rc.4
to disable xdm from listening to that port:

/etc/rc.d/rc.4:
exec /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon -udpPort 0

kdm and xdm use Xaccess files to control who can request a remote X
login. gdm uses the gdm.conf file to control access. A few years ago
Slackware had an uncommented "*" in the Xaccess file for xdm which
allowed anyone to get a remote X login. Now the default is everything
is commented out.

/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess
/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
/opt/kde/share/config/kdm/Xaccess