Re: get your shiny fresh new drives ready

22 views
Skip to first unread message

#Paul

unread,
Jan 26, 2022, 10:32:09 AMJan 26
to
noel <delet...@invalid.lan> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2022 13:43:53 +1000, noel wrote:
>
>> Commence countdown 10,9,8,7
>>
>> Wednesday February 22 2022
>
>
> BAH that was meant to be February 2 2022

As it already seems like I've been waiting years for S15,
I'll add a few extra just to be in the safe side:

Friday, September 13th, 2024. :-)

#Paul

bad sector

unread,
Jan 26, 2022, 5:02:05 PMJan 26
to
14.2 came out in at a time when my go2 distro Suse was making
releases almost monthly. So when I encountered a few poblems
with Slak-14.2 I just parked it thinking that a few months on the
outside and the next release would fix them all :-)

Well, I ain't waiting no more, the few months are up!


Ander GM

unread,
Jan 29, 2022, 5:22:20 PMJan 29
to
I'm still using Slackware 14.2 plus alienbob's repo in a netbook.
I don't need a newer system, pkgs are updated enough.
I upgraded MESA to 13.0.6 so I could get a slight performance boost,
and anyway compiling an LTS kernel it's dumb easy on Slackware.
I can wait a few weeks without no issues.

John McCue

unread,
Jan 30, 2022, 9:09:49 AMJan 30
to
noel <delet...@invalid.lan> wrote:
> Commence countdown 10,9,8,7
>
> Wednesday
> February 22
> 2022

FWIW, one thing to consider, per the link below, 4.4 kernel
is EOL in Feb 2022.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel_version_history

But with that said, I am fine with waiting longer for a very
stable release :)

--
csh(1) - "An elegant shell, for a more... civilized age."
- Paraphrasing Star Wars

bad sector

unread,
Jan 31, 2022, 9:16:32 AMJan 31
to
At my tire-kicking competence and pay level v-15 or even v-20
isn't going to make that much difference, but the mood surrounding
a new release does help to stir up some motivation to get better at
Slackware :-)

When I was a kid ALL new car models hit the showrooms on
the same day in September or so. Maaaan, were those the days!
The secrecy was breathtaking, EVERYONE was sticking their
noses to the dealership windows spotting for the moment they
would remove the canvas covers. '59 was beyond any doubt the
year of car-model years, the '59 Chevvy kept us stuck like suction
cups to the dealership window for hours

https://www.motorcities.org/images/SOTW_08.22.2018/1959_Chevrolet_ad_Tate_Collection.jpg

But not all models showed up at every dealer right away. In my
little town we would not eexperience first visual contact until a later
snowy evening with that 'spaceship' that just cruised by with tail lights
(for us barely below eye level) just a touch on the purple-side of red.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/IKIPxdmiBwg/maxresdefault.jpg

*Something like that*, when a new Slackware hits the streets :-)



--
Artix Linux , Kernel=5.16.1-artix1-1 on x86_64,
DM=Unknown, DE=KDE, ST=x11,grub2, GPT, BIOS-boot










Lew Pitcher

unread,
Jan 31, 2022, 11:47:56 PMJan 31
to
On Tue, 01 Feb 2022 12:03:01 +1000, noel wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jan 2022 14:09:46 +0000, John McCue wrote:
>
>> noel <delet...@invalid.lan> wrote:
>>> Commence countdown 10,9,8,7
>>>
>>> Wednesday February 22 2022
>>
>> FWIW, one thing to consider, per the link below, 4.4 kernel is EOL in
>> Feb 2022.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel_version_history
>>
>> But with that said, I am fine with waiting longer for a very stable
>> release :)
>
> ????
>
> We don't use 4.4 kernel in current, in fact -current has not used 4.4
> since, I think 5 years.
>
>
> We had an update a few days ago 5.15.18

I think John was referring to the kernel in Slackware 14.2, which was
last updated to Linux 4.4.276 on Tue Jul 20 23:23:58 CDT 2021

--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"

John McCue

unread,
Feb 1, 2022, 10:11:21 AMFeb 1
to
Lew Pitcher <lew.p...@digitalfreehold.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2022 12:03:01 +1000, noel wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 30 Jan 2022 14:09:46 +0000, John McCue wrote:
>>
>>>>
<snip>
>>> But with that said, I am fine with waiting longer for a very stable
>>> release :)
>>
>> ????
>>
>> We don't use 4.4 kernel in current, in fact -current has not used 4.4
>> since, I think 5 years.
>>
>>
>> We had an update a few days ago 5.15.18
>
> I think John was referring to the kernel in Slackware 14.2, which was
> last updated to Linux 4.4.276 on Tue Jul 20 23:23:58 CDT 2021

Correct, not that I like to speculate on release dates, but
to me Feb is when v15 will hit unless 14.2 kernel is upgraded
to a supported release.

Mike Small

unread,
Feb 1, 2022, 11:52:29 AMFeb 1
to
John McCue <jmc...@jmclin1.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> writes:

> Lew Pitcher <lew.p...@digitalfreehold.ca> wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Feb 2022 12:03:01 +1000, noel wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 30 Jan 2022 14:09:46 +0000, John McCue wrote:
>>>
>>>>>
> <snip>
>>>> But with that said, I am fine with waiting longer for a very stable
>>>> release :)
>>>
>>> ????
>>>
>>> We don't use 4.4 kernel in current, in fact -current has not used 4.4
>>> since, I think 5 years.
>>>
>>>
>>> We had an update a few days ago 5.15.18
>>
>> I think John was referring to the kernel in Slackware 14.2, which was
>> last updated to Linux 4.4.276 on Tue Jul 20 23:23:58 CDT 2021
>
> Correct, not that I like to speculate on release dates, but
> to me Feb is when v15 will hit unless 14.2 kernel is upgraded
> to a supported release.

There's supposed to be a new glibc today or so. I guess it would be way
too late to take that, right? That would count as too major a change for
a freeze? I'm curious how much of a headache it is to upgrade the c
library, since I'm about to attempt it on my linux from scratch
partition.

- Mike Sm.

John McCue

unread,
Feb 1, 2022, 2:09:53 PMFeb 1
to
Mike Small <sma...@panix.com> wrote:
<snip>
>
> There's supposed to be a new glibc today or so. I guess it would be way
> too late to take that, right? That would count as too major a change for
> a freeze? I'm curious how much of a headache it is to upgrade the c
> library, since I'm about to attempt it on my linux from scratch
> partition.
>
> - Mike Sm.
>

I think uprading glibc is a big PITA, but I never attempted it.
Others here will probably know for sure.

John

Jimmy Johnson

unread,
Feb 1, 2022, 3:36:18 PMFeb 1
to
On 1/31/22 8:47 PM, Lew Pitcher wrote:

> I think John was referring to the kernel in Slackware 14.2, which was
> last updated to Linux 4.4.276 on Tue Jul 20 23:23:58 CDT 2021

Someone(Patrick) was listening, upgraded to 4.4.301 today.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 14.2 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda5
Registered Linux User #380263

Jimmy Johnson

unread,
Feb 1, 2022, 3:40:02 PMFeb 1
to
On 2/1/22 7:11 AM, John McCue wrote:

> Correct, not that I like to speculate on release dates, but
> to me Feb is when v15 will hit unless 14.2 kernel is upgraded
> to a supported release.

Feb. 15th sounds good.

Lew Pitcher

unread,
Feb 1, 2022, 4:47:42 PMFeb 1
to
On Tue, 01 Feb 2022 12:40:06 -0800, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

> On 2/1/22 7:11 AM, John McCue wrote:
>
>> Correct, not that I like to speculate on release dates, but to me Feb
>> is when v15 will hit unless 14.2 kernel is upgraded to a supported
>> release.
>
> Feb. 15th sounds good.

My guess would be sooner than that.
From a couple of today's (Feb 1) changelogs:
The sepulchral voice intones, "The cave is now closed."
and
Hey, my shiny brass lamp is almost out of fuel!
which are Adventure (/usr/games/adventure) end-of-game references

Jimmy Johnson

unread,
Feb 2, 2022, 2:52:09 AMFeb 2
to
Or Patrick could be hitting us up for some dough. Give me money, that's
what I want! https://youtu.be/3_iQZiVD_zA
--
Jimmy Johnson

Alien Linux - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263

John Forkosh

unread,
Feb 2, 2022, 3:52:34 AMFeb 2
to
Jimmy Johnson <ji...@none.none> wrote:
> Lew Pitcher wrote:
>> Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>
>>> Feb. 15th sounds good.
>
>> My guess would be sooner than that.
>
> Or Patrick could be hitting us up for some dough.
> Give me money, that's what I want!
> https://youtu.be/3_iQZiVD_zA

He certainly deserves some dough, having terrifically
mainatined slackware for just about 30 years now.
And he, and other maintainers, certainly got screwed
by that slackware store debacle. Anybody got any
reasonable idea how much he's been making via paypal,
etc, since that slackware store story broke?
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: j...@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )

Eric Pozharski

unread,
Feb 2, 2022, 5:33:09 AMFeb 2
to
with <stc0hv$btd$1...@dont-email.me> John McCue wrote:
> Mike Small <sma...@panix.com> wrote:

>> There's supposed to be a new glibc today or so. I guess it would be
>> way too late to take that, right? That would count as too major a
>> change for a freeze? I'm curious how much of a headache it is to
>> upgrade the c library, since I'm about to attempt it on my linux from
>> scratch partition.
> I think uprading glibc is a big PITA, but I never attempted it.
> Others here will probably know for sure.

It's sure upgrading libc is scary however it's not PITA. It has
potential for FUBAR though. Just remember, the potential is just this
-- potential. Whatever could possibly go wrong can be fixed.

p.s. Yes, I had screwed up when aaa-libraries had been renamed. Fixed,
secured procedures, and developed more habits.

p.p.s. I'm not helping here, am I?

--
Torvalds' goal for Linux is very simple: World Domination
Stallman's goal for GNU is even simpler: Freedom

bad sector

unread,
Feb 2, 2022, 8:27:00 AMFeb 2
to
I would hope that he recovers ten times over although I
can vouch for the fact that such is totally impossible.


--
Devuan GNU/Linux 4 (chimaera), Kernel=4.19.0-12-amd64 on x86_64,
DM=Unknown, DE=XFCE, ST=x11,grub2, GPT, BIOS-boot

John McCue

unread,
Feb 2, 2022, 9:25:15 AMFeb 2
to
Eric Pozharski <why...@pozharski.name> wrote:
<snip>
>
> It's sure upgrading libc is scary however it's not PITA. It has
> potential for FUBAR though. Just remember, the potential is just this
> -- potential. Whatever could possibly go wrong can be fixed.
>
> p.s. Yes, I had screwed up when aaa-libraries had been renamed. Fixed,
> secured procedures, and developed more habits.
>
> p.p.s. I'm not helping here, am I?

For me does not matter :)

These days, I have no intention of upgrading anything like glibc
or even the Kernel. I let the Slackware Team worry about those
things, I find feeding this far easier for me and my sanity.

https://www.patreon.com/slackwarelinux/overview

Henrik Carlqvist

unread,
Feb 2, 2022, 9:56:54 AMFeb 2
to
On Wed, 02 Feb 2022 08:09:04 +0000, Eric Pozharski wrote:

> with <stc0hv$btd$1...@dont-email.me> John McCue wrote:

>> Mike Small <sma...@panix.com> wrote:
>>> I'm curious how much of a headache it is to upgrade the c library,

>> I think uprading glibc is a big PITA, but I never attempted it.
>> Others here will probably know for sure.
>
> It's sure upgrading libc is scary however it's not PITA. It has
> potential for FUBAR though. Just remember, the potential is just this
> -- potential. Whatever could possibly go wrong can be fixed.

Many years ago, probably on Slackware 3.0 or Slackware 3.1 I did upgrade
glibc for some reason. Everything seemed fine for some hour but then I
started getting complaints that nobody was able to login...

I reverted that upgrade and have never attempted to upgrade glibc again
since then.

regards Henrik

Mike Small

unread,
Feb 2, 2022, 11:37:40 AMFeb 2
to
Eric Pozharski <why...@pozharski.name> writes:

> with <stc0hv$btd$1...@dont-email.me> John McCue wrote:
>> Mike Small <sma...@panix.com> wrote:
>
>>> There's supposed to be a new glibc today or so. I guess it would be
>>> way too late to take that, right? That would count as too major a
>>> change for a freeze? I'm curious how much of a headache it is to
>>> upgrade the c library, since I'm about to attempt it on my linux from
>>> scratch partition.
>> I think uprading glibc is a big PITA, but I never attempted it.
>> Others here will probably know for sure.
>
> It's sure upgrading libc is scary however it's not PITA. It has
> potential for FUBAR though. Just remember, the potential is just this
> -- potential. Whatever could possibly go wrong can be fixed.
>
> p.s. Yes, I had screwed up when aaa-libraries had been renamed. Fixed,
> secured procedures, and developed more habits.
>
> p.p.s. I'm not helping here, am I?

No, it's helpful. This isn't my slackware partition only my linux from
scratch one, so it's useful to know it's a "learning exercise" vs. me
likely having to start over in the book. The book itself recommends
starting over when changing glibc+compiler, but the appendices in glibc
info and faq don't make it sound THAT bad. Maybe I need to figure out
how to distinguish glibc headers vs. non-glibc headers to clean out
headers no longer in the new library, but they seem to be commented
consistently. And there are some things going on in recent glibc shared
object files with merging libraries and changing how symlinks are done
(or not done). That should be interesting.

I guess it's clear slackware 15.0 won't take the new libc. Sounds like
release is imminent.

--
Mike Sm.

Ron

unread,
Feb 2, 2022, 11:26:25 PMFeb 2
to
On Tue, 1 Feb 2022, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

> Or Patrick could be hitting us up for some dough. Give me money, that's what
> I want! https://youtu.be/3_iQZiVD_zA
> --
> Jimmy Johnson
>
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-BYzaDwNoE
--r^2

Jimmy Johnson

unread,
Feb 3, 2022, 1:11:16 AMFeb 3
to
On 2/2/22 18:47, Ron wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2022, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>
>> Or Patrick could be hitting us up for some dough. Give me money,
>> that's what I want! https://youtu.be/3_iQZiVD_zA

> or
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-BYzaDwNoE

That'll work, da man's gotta put another t-bone on the barbie.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 Current - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda6
Registered Linux User #380263
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages