Off Topic: Wordle

root

Jan 14, 2022, 11:16:53 AMJan 14
I don't play computer games, but I heard about Wordle which
has become the in-game now. The details sounded interesting
so I wrote my own version.

I get so much help from this group that I will post the source
of my code, and the data if anyone here is interested.

Thanks for all your help.

Ander GM

Jan 21, 2022, 5:12:03 PMJan 21
Is it written for X or for the shell? I'd love a wordle clone for the tty.

Eli the Bearded

Jan 21, 2022, 7:32:07 PMJan 21
In alt.os.linux.slackware, Ander GM <an...@disroot.org> wrote:
> Is it written for X or for the shell?

It's written in Javascript to play in a browser.

> I'd love a wordle clone for the tty.

You're in luck!

Python code:

https://github.com/hughpyle/ASR33/blob/master/bin/wordle

Video of game on tty:

https://twitter.com/33asr/status/1482787702605029389

But you can play on modern hardware, too, not just your hardcopy tty.

Elijah
------
real tty is louder than typical keyboards

root

Jan 22, 2022, 1:14:28 AMJan 22
It will run under X or as a console. Since you expressed interest
I will tell you about the program:

The full word library consists of over 12,000 words in the scrabble
five dictionary. However, I have arranged the words in word
frequency of a large English language corpus that I analyzed
some time ago. If the program is invoked as:

wordl without an argument you expose yourself to the full
word list.

If you invoke it as

wordl nnn

I will limit the selection to the nnn 5 letter words
with the highest frequency.

Any ? in the input word will reveal the underlying
letter.

Finally, I don't limit to 6 guesses. If you want
to fail after 6 guesses, just hit enter when prompted
for your guess and a new game will start.

As I understand the original game, letters that
are correct and in the correct position are printed
in green, and letters that are in the word but
not in the given position are printed in
orange (in console mode) or yellow in X.

When I read about wordl in the WSJ people were
choosing guess words whose letter frequency
corresponded roughly to the etaion-shrdlu
letter frequency. That frequency only applies
to the English language and *not* to the
scrabble 5 letter words, and decidedly
not to the most frequently used 5 letter words.

If you still want the program I will post it
in two parts: the c code, and the word list.

Poprocks

Jan 24, 2022, 10:04:17 PMJan 24
On 2022-01-14, root wrote:
> I don't play computer games, but I heard about Wordle which
> has become the in-game now. [...]

I have to admit -- I used /usr/share/dict/words and a bit of regexp to
help solve today's (official Wordle) puzzle.

root

Jan 24, 2022, 11:02:02 PMJan 24
Still a mental exercise. That's what its all about.

smw

Jan 24, 2022, 11:33:10 PMJan 24
In <slrnsuuq5f...@loganrpi.rathbonelaw.com>
Poprocks <ple...@replytogroup.com> writes:

>I have to admit -- I used /usr/share/dict/words and a bit of regexp to
>help solve today's (official Wordle) puzzle.

...which inevitably calls to mind this .signature quote:

Ken Thompson claims that he started developing Unix so he could play
Space War, but the end product shows he was really much more interested
in cheating at Scrabble.
--Steve VanDevender

(as posted by Robert Uhl, probably about ten years ago)