xfce4-weather plugin not working

Harold Johanssen

Mar 10, 2021, 10:49:04 PM3/10/21
It would seem that the API the the version of the xfce4-weather
plugin distributed with 14.2 uses in order to obtain meteorological data
has been discontinued. As a result, this plugin has stopped working.

Anybody know whether xfce4-plugin is going to be updated for
14.2, or whether we'll just have to wait for 15?

dillinger

Mar 11, 2021, 5:16:03 PM3/11/21
Some old versions at met.no have been terminated: https://api.met.no/blog/
The problem is that all versions later than 8.11 require GKT+ >= 3.22,
which is not and probably will not be included with Slackware 14.2.
https://archive.xfce.org/src/panel-plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin/
Some tweaking might fix this, it appears there is a working version of
8.11 for Mint, but else we'll have to wait for Slackware 15, I'm afraid.

dillinger

Mar 11, 2021, 5:56:49 PM3/11/21
That is version 0.8.11 of course.

dillinger

Mar 15, 2021, 11:05:03 PM3/15/21
A working version is now available for Salix, works on Slackware too:

https://download.salixos.org/x86_64/14.2/salix/xfce/xfce4-weather-plugin-0.8.11-x86_64-1gv_salix14.2.txz

You can find this on https://slackware.pkgs.org/

Clark Smith

Mar 16, 2021, 8:49:14 AM3/16/21
So it does. Thanks.

steveh

Apr 19, 2021, 1:57:14 PM4/19/21
You might also like this text version, based on the same
norwegian met office service, available as a finger service.

finger in...@graph.no

For example:-

$ finger lon...@graph.no

produces the following output:-
[graph.no]
-= Meteogram for united_kingdom/england/london =-
'C Rain
18
16 ^^^^^^
14 ^^^^^^^^^
12=-- ^^^
10 --- =--
8 --- ^^^
6 ------ ^^^
4 ################## ^^^
2 ###
0
_19 20 21 22 23 00 01 02 03 04 05_06_07_08_09_10_11_12_13_14_15_16 Hour

SE SE SE SE SE E E SE SE E E E E NE NE NE NE NE NE NE NE NE Wind dir.
3 2 2 2 2 1 1 2 1 1 1 2 2 1 1 2 2 2 2 1 1 1 Wind(mps)

Legend left axis: - Sunny ^ Scattered = Clouded =V= Thunder # Fog
Legend right axis: | Rain ! Sleet * Snow
[Mail a "thank you" to fin...@falkp.no if you like the service.]

As I understand it the author is currently modifying the code for the
same api update. (I am not the author :-), but I think he's done a
great job!)

If you install espeak, you can do something like this to get a summary
of the weather spoken to you:-

$ finger o:lon...@graph.no | tail -n 1 | espeak -v en+f3 -s 100

Harold Johanssen

Apr 19, 2021, 7:28:12 PM4/19/21
That's cute. I've just played with it, and the voice sounds like
that of a woman who has had one too many.

Jimmy Johnson

Apr 19, 2021, 8:10:23 PM4/19/21
Did you get it fixed?

There's a slackware patch:

https://slackware.pkgs.org/14.2/slackware-patches-x86_64/xfce4-weather-plugin-0.8.11-x86_64-1_slack14.2.txz.html

--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 14.2 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda5
Registered Linux User #380263