Screen recording under Slackware

James H. Markowitz

Dec 16, 2021, 9:34:46 AM12/16/21
Any recommendations on software to record an XFCE session with
sound under Slackware?

bad sector

Dec 16, 2021, 11:51:19 AM12/16/21
On 12/16/21 9:34 AM, James H. Markowitz wrote:
> Any recommendations on software to record an XFCE session with
> sound under Slackware?

I've used ffmpeg with with sound-related difficulties
but have had only total successes with GUI type
SimpleScreenRecorder (don't know is slack packs it)

Poprocks

Dec 16, 2021, 10:07:45 PM12/16/21
SimpleScreenRecorder (package name: `ssr`) was added to -current in
August 2020.

I've used it - it works quite well.

These days I almost exclusively use OBS Studio, which is pretty
ubiquitous these days for streaming and recording pretty much any of
those types of videos you see on the web with the little square in the
corner of the video with the person talking on camera while screen
recording.

It is easily installable through Flathub if you install flatpak from
slackbuilds.org. I believe it is also available directly in the
slackbuilds.org repo.

--
Poprocks

Joe Rosevear

Jan 1, 2022, 8:40:35 PM1/1/22
James H. Markowitz <no...@nowhere.net> wrote:
> Any recommendations on software to record an XFCE session with
> sound under Slackware?

I have a script that I wrote a few years ago which records from a
webcam or from the screen plus audio. It is the result of several
years of struggling with the complexities of ffmpeg and sox. You might
notice that it records audio and video seprately, but simultaneously,
then combines them.

Here it is:

#!/bin/sh
# avrec

# Joseph Rosevear 200801 I wrote this script.

# Check arguments.
if [ \( "$#" -gt "2" \) -o \
\( \( "$#" -eq "2 " \) -a \
\( "$2" != "screen" \) \) ]; then

cat << DONE

$0: Error:
You must supply the base of the output file as \$1 and optionally
provide "screen" as \$2.

If you provide \$2 in this way, then this script will record from
the screen instead of from the webcam.
DONE

exit
fi

rm $1.avi
rm temp.wav temp_normal.wav temp.avi

rec temp.wav&

# If $2 is "screen", then record the screen. Otherwise record from the
# webcam.

if [ "$2" = "screen" ]; then

ffmpeg -loglevel quiet \
-f x11grab \
-s 1024x768 \
-i :0.0 \
-c:v huffyuv temp.avi

else

ffmpeg -loglevel quiet \
-f video4linux2 -input_format yuyv422 \
-s 640x480 \
-i /dev/video0 \
-c:v copy temp.avi
fi

killall rec

sox --norm temp.wav temp_normal.wav

ffmpeg -i temp.avi -i temp_normal.wav \
-vcodec copy -acodec copy $1.avi

rm temp.wav temp_normal.wav temp.avi

--
https://JoesLife.org

bad sector

Jan 2, 2022, 9:18:37 AM1/2/22
thanks, worth keeping!

I have a 4-5 page collection of ffmpeg 2-liners, most of which
didn't work for more than a year and sound has always a
major issue. I don't have a web-cam yet but will :-)