Windows 2k... Slackware Linux 7.1 Dual Booting

1 view
Skip to first unread message

Frank Booth

unread,
Jun 25, 2001, 1:43:18 AM6/25/01
to
Hello,

I am trying to set up my computer top dual boot between windows 2000 server
and Linux cant get it to work..............anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.262 / Virus Database: 132 - Release Date: 6/12/2001


parepidemos

unread,
Jun 25, 2001, 11:59:36 PM6/25/01
to
Hello,

What is your drive configuration? And which did you install first,
Slackware or Win2000?

We'll need a bit more info to help you out but lilo should work fine for
you.

--parepidemos

Frank Booth

unread,
Jun 26, 2001, 10:19:54 AM6/26/01
to
--I have two 30 drives.... I installed W2K first on an 8 gig Volumn on
drive 0, later Slackware linux 7.1 was installed on drive 0 in a 10 gig
volumn, drive 1 has an 8 gig non boot ntfs volumn. W2k is also installed on
a 2 gig volumn on drive 1.

If I set the Linux volumn to active lilo comes op with three selections...
Dos. Linux, and os/2.... nothing happens if dos or os/2 is
selected......linux works fine.... however then, W2k can not be bootedunless
I reinstall/repair w2k
Thanks a whole bunch!

FB

"parepidemos" <parep...@xmission.com> wrote in message
news:3B3808A8...@xmission.com...

Andre

unread,
Jun 26, 2001, 9:06:47 PM6/26/01
to
i had htis problem on my caldera install, right now i am a lurker and trying
to get slack up, however, there is a known issue with lilo and nt/2000.
Nt/2000 have a custom bootloader that lilo rights over. You can run fdsik
or the w2000 recovery disk and run fixmbr, to fix the master boot record.
Then boot slack from a boot disk, so you may want to make a boot disk first.

Is there an option in the slack install to prevent lilo from writing on you
mbr?

how do you make a slack boot disk, if there is a how to, can you provide the
html address?
(i am sure thre is- I'll also check dejanews)

Any better solutions from you slack guys, now I am running cladera, but
slack is the goal.

thanks

andre

"Frank Booth" <riff...@newyorkny.net> wrote in message
news:0T6_6.14265$G25....@newsfeed.slurp.net...

Richard Laskey

unread,
Jul 1, 2001, 10:47:40 AM7/1/01
to
* Andre <dand...@home.com> [alt.os.linux.slackware]:

> Is there an option in the slack install to prevent lilo from writing
> on you mbr?

Have you gone through the installation procedure for Slack ? This is one
of the primary _options_ when you're setting everything up. Simply do
not select the MBR lilo write when it asks for it.

> how do you make a slack boot disk, if there is a how to, can you
> provide the html address? (i am sure thre is- I'll also check
> dejanews)

This is another option in the Slack setup procedure, and it is quite
easy to do. It all guides you through it.

> Any better solutions from you slack guys, now I am running cladera,
> but slack is the goal.

Try out Slack. It is worth it. It also is really not that difficult to
get going once you put some time into it.

--
Richard Moss Laskey, III

Andre

unread,
Jul 1, 2001, 8:58:14 PM7/1/01
to
Thanks for the reply!!!

I now have all I need to know, and yes you are correct, I never had even ran
the installer. I am going to try to get 8.0 tonight, scrap caldera (mainly
due to the new lic change) and check out slack. I am confident, as long as
I don't let lilo right on MBR all should go well. :)

So you guys may be heraing from me soon, as I know I will have to recompile
my tulip drivers for my linksys card ( although I heard the new 2.4.5 kernel
will accept the card) and also configure a cable modem.

take care

andre\

"Richard Laskey" <mo...@mailandnews.com> wrote in message
news:slrn9jue0...@slakd.syscom.invalid...

Adam Schuetze

unread,
Jul 1, 2001, 10:27:52 PM7/1/01
to
On Sun, 1 Jul 2001 10:47:40 -0400, Richard Laskey <mo...@mailandnews.com> wrote:
>
> > Any better solutions from you slack guys, now I am running cladera,
> > but slack is the goal.
>
> Try out Slack. It is worth it. It also is really not that difficult to
> get going once you put some time into it.

Plus, with the commercial aim that caldera seems to be going
towards (I saw an article talking about per-seat LICENSES!), I'd
personally stay as far away from Caldera as possible.

--
Adam Schuetze, Mechanical Engineering Technologist
Mechanical Engineering Student, University of Victoria
Cellular: 250 882 3938 Email: adam at adam-schuetze dot org
Visit my website at www dot adam-schuetze dot org
Busily working this summer in ELW B239, University of Victoria

xzibit

unread,
Jul 1, 2001, 11:15:28 PM7/1/01
to
I was wondering how am I supposed to make the boot disk for slack in win 2k
since rawrite doesnt work?
"Adam Schuetze" <ad...@adam-schuetze.nospam.org> wrote in message
news:slrn9jvmr...@alpha.adam-schuetze.org...

Andre

unread,
Jul 1, 2001, 11:32:45 PM7/1/01
to
hi

while i was browsing slack ftp cites, i saw a boot disk directory. :)

andre

"xzibit" <xzib...@home.com> wrote in message
news:kHR%6.282111$p33.5...@news1.sttls1.wa.home.com...

xzibit

unread,
Jul 2, 2001, 12:10:10 AM7/2/01
to
yeah thats nice but rawrite which u use to write the images to floppies
doesnt work under win2k and I was asking how am I supposed to write the
images to a floppy
"Andre" <dand...@home.com> wrote in message
news:xXR%6.418279$oc7.59...@news2.rdc2.tx.home.com...

Andre

unread,
Jul 2, 2001, 12:48:11 AM7/2/01
to
oh ugg sorry...

I assumed you could write the image (from ftp) on windows. Even if windows
does not recognize the files it will usually let you write it to disk.

However, I wasn't sure if it was an image that needs to be untar (which if
it is you may be bale to use godzip a windows utility). I know... may be
grasping at straws :)

later

andre

"xzibit" <xzib...@home.com> wrote in message

news:CuS%6.282360$p33.5...@news1.sttls1.wa.home.com...

Robert Grizzard

unread,
Jul 2, 2001, 7:37:48 AM7/2/01
to
xzibit <xzib...@home.com> wrote:
> yeah thats nice but rawrite which u use to write the images to floppies
> doesnt work under win2k and I was asking how am I supposed to write the
> images to a floppy

x, have you tried RAWRITENT.EXE from Slack 8? It's a native NT app; it
might work under W2K. It's in the rootdsks/ and bootdsks.1{2,44}/
directories.

HTH

p8r

unread,
Jul 5, 2001, 12:35:41 PM7/5/01
to
"Andre" <dand...@home.com> wrote:
>i had htis problem on my caldera install, right now i am a lurker and trying
>to get slack up, however, there is a known issue with lilo and nt/2000.
>Nt/2000 have a custom bootloader that lilo rights over. You can run fdsik
>or the w2000 recovery disk and run fixmbr, to fix the master boot record.
>Then boot slack from a boot disk, so you may want to make a boot disk first.
>
[...]

>
>andre
>
>"Frank Booth" <riff...@newyorkny.net> wrote in message
>news:0T6_6.14265$G25....@newsfeed.slurp.net...
>> --I have two 30 drives.... I installed W2K first on an 8 gig Volumn on
>> drive 0, later Slackware linux 7.1 was installed on drive 0 in a 10 gig
>> volumn, drive 1 has an 8 gig non boot ntfs volumn. W2k is also installed
>on
>> a 2 gig volumn on drive 1.
>>
>> If I set the Linux volumn to active lilo comes op with three selections...
>> Dos. Linux, and os/2.... nothing happens if dos or os/2 is
>> selected......linux works fine.... however then, W2k can not be
>bootedunless
>> I reinstall/repair w2k
>> Thanks a whole bunch!
>>
........................................................................
Andre, Frank,

"liloconfig" is your answer.

You've got two choices as to which boot-loader to use, win2k's or LILO.
It's important at this point to know the linux names for the boot drives
you're using. Let's pretend that /dev/hda1 boots win2k, and /dev/hdb1
boots Slack, and that you're at work and they make you run win2k, but
you want a clandestine Slackware OS on a second HD. Just for the sake
of argument, of course. :) Oh, you can have as many /dev/hdaX and
/dev/hdbY partitions as you like, they're irrelevant.

These instructions will allow you to use the win2k bootloader to dual-boot
with Slack or win2k, the latter being the default, of course, since we're
at work. :)

To use win2k as your bootloader:
Fix your win2k MBR as Andre says above. I've never done this, though.
If you've buggered things up the way I would have, you'll probably just
end up reinstalling win2k.

Install Slack on the other drive. Make sure you DO NOT install LILO on
the MBR of the first hard-drive. That's what's buggering up the win2k
bootloader. If you've already installed Slack, you probabaly don't need
to do it again, since win2k only molests the MBR, not the actual Linux OS.
You should only need to ...
........................................................................
Boot into Linux, then run liloconfig. Here are the steps:
expert Use expert lilo.conf setup menu
Begin Start LILO configuration with a new LILO header
[enter] No extra parameters (probably)
[enter] standard Linux Console
Root Use superblock of the root Linux partition (/dev/hdb1, for us)
None Or your choice for the time-delay, I chose none, for reasons
to be clarified later.
Linux Add a Linux partition to the LILO config file
"/dev/hdb1" for the bootable partition
"Slackware" to name the partition in LILO
Install LILO

LILO now exists, able only to boot Linux, on your Linux boot partition.
Specifically, like the MBR, it resides on the *first 512 bytes* of that
(boot) partition.

Copy those bytes over to win2k-space. Make the image like this:

dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/slackware.bin bs=512 count=1

See "man dd" to grok the Disk-Duplicate utility. Pretty intuitive.

You now have a copy of the LILO loader, the one that only knows about
Linux, in the file /slackware.bin. Copy it to a DOS diskette. I copied
it straight over to a vfat partition that both Linux and win2k could see,
(/etc/fstab) but exactly how you get the file over to win2k is irrelevant.
........................................................................
Boot win2k.

Copy slackware.bin from diskette (or wherever) to c:\slackware.bin.

Edit c:\boot.ini. You'll probably have to tweak the explorer settings
to let you see this hidden system file.

Add this line to boot.ini:
C:\slackware.bin="Slackware 7.1"

Change the timeout value, as well, if you desire. I chose four seconds.
This is the timeout that the win2k bootloader observes before booting
win2k. And it doesn't really matter what the name of the slackware.bin
file is, just as long as it's consistent between boot.ini and disk. And
you can put anything between the quotes.
........................................................................
Reboot, and see that the win2k loader defaults to win2k, but allows you
to select "Slackware". When you select Slackware, you've selected the
LILO boot image we'd just created. Remember we'd specified no delay,
so that Linux boots immediately, instead of waiting again.

BTW, I just learned how to do this last week, so I'm very excited about
this. In the course of all this edu-ma-cation, I'd installed LILO on the
win2k-drive MBR. Fortunately, I'd backed up the win2k MBR before hacking
boot-records using this dd command:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/ntbootldr bs=512 count=1

Note "/dev/hda" without the partition index! That's the MBR! I was able
to restore the win2k MBR using this same image. Way cool.

I suspect that this technique will work with any Linux distribution.

Long Live Slack.

--
L8r, P8r. Action beats Reaction and
pverst1 at alumni spot umbc spot edu Proximity cancels Skill.

Beauford

unread,
Jul 7, 2001, 9:24:20 PM7/7/01
to
I have Slack 7.1 and Win2k dual booting on an Intel x86 machine with not problems what so
ever. I loaded 2k first and then Slack. I did nothing special, I just installed them. I
know this doesn't answer your problem, but I thought I would let you know that it does
work. Oh, I installed LILO in the MBR.

p8r

unread,
Jul 9, 2001, 12:33:42 PM7/9/01
to
Beauford <Beau...@insertnamehere.com> wrote:
>I have Slack 7.1 and Win2k dual booting on an Intel x86 machine with not problems what so
>ever. I loaded 2k first and then Slack. I did nothing special, I just installed them. I
>know this doesn't answer your problem, but I thought I would let you know that it does
>work. Oh, I installed LILO in the MBR.
>
>On 5 Jul 2001 12:35:41 -0400, pve...@umbc.edu (p8r) wrote:
>>Andre, Frank,
>>
>>"liloconfig" is your answer.
>>
>>These instructions will allow you to use the win2k bootloader to dual-boot
>>with Slack or win2k, the latter being the default, of course, since we're
>>at work. :)
>>

Yeah, B, it usually is straightforward, but the original post asked about
ways not to have LILO overwrite the MBR. And lemme tell ya' it was a lot
of fun figuring out how to cloak Linux on my development box here at work.
Just *had* to share the joy. :)

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages