Can't create socket: Too many open files

Harold Johanssen

Mar 17, 2023, 8:40:43 AM3/17/23
I have a multithreaded C application in 15.0 that does indeed
open a lot of file descriptors, at some point dying with the diagnostic
mentioned in the subject line. The same application keeps running under
Ubuntu 20.04 without problems.

Checking out online, the suggestion is to increase the value of
/proc/sys/fs/file-max. Indeed, for 15.0 this is 1632376 by default,
whereas in the Ubuntu system it was set to 9223372036854775807. So I set
it to that value in 15.0 and restarted the application, to no avail:
after (many) hours running, I got the same issue.

Anybody know to overcome this problem? Like I said, the code is
exactly the same in both Ubuntu 20.04 and Slackware 15.0, and I have the
following settings:

Slackware 15.0:

# ulimit -n
1024

# ulimit -Hn
4096

# ulimit -Sn
1024

# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
9223372036854775807

Ubuntu 20.04:

# ulimit -n
1024

# ulimit -Hn
1048576

# ulimit -Sn
1024

# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
9223372036854775807

Is it just a matter of increasing the hard value under Slackware 15.0? I
haven't done so yet because I don't know how to do so without rebooting -
which, for a number of reasons, is not an option in the short term.

Henrik Carlqvist

Mar 17, 2023, 3:50:31 PM3/17/23
On Fri, 17 Mar 2023 12:40:40 +0000, Harold Johanssen wrote:
> I have a multithreaded C application in 15.0 that does indeed open a lot
> of file descriptors, at some point dying with the diagnostic mentioned
> in the subject line. The same application keeps running under Ubuntu
> 20.04 without problems.

The first step migth be to reconsider the way that application works.
Does it really need to have all those files and sockets open at the same
time? As the number of open files is a limited resource it is good
practice to close files and sockets once done with them. There are tools
like cppcheck which can identify resource leaks in C programs.

If you still decide that you need to have thousands of files or sockets
open at once you will get twarted by the soft limit as you have
discovered. Using ulimit from your shell or from your login scripts, you
can as a normal user increase this soft limit up to the hard limit. To
increase the hard limit you will need to be root.

These limits are for each process and they are inherited from their
parent process.

> Checking out online, the suggestion is to increase the value of
> /proc/sys/fs/file-max. Indeed, for 15.0 this is 1632376 by default,

This number does not limit a single process, but if the sum of all open
files for all processes gets to high you will get trouble.

> whereas in the Ubuntu system it was set to 9223372036854775807. So I set
> it to that value in 15.0 and restarted the application, to no avail:
> after (many) hours running, I got the same issue.

Yes, you are still limited by the soft limit.

> Anybody know to overcome this problem? Like I said, the code is
> exactly the same in both Ubuntu 20.04 and Slackware 15.0, and I have the
> following settings:
>
> Slackware 15.0:
>
> # ulimit -n
> 1024
>
> # ulimit -Hn 4096
>
> # ulimit -Sn 1024
>
> # cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max 9223372036854775807
>
> Ubuntu 20.04:
>
> # ulimit -n 1024
>
> # ulimit -Hn 1048576
>
> # ulimit -Sn 1024
>
> # cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max 9223372036854775807

It seems a little odd that also your ubuntu machine where there is no
problem has a soft limit of 1024 open files. However, maybe your C
application calls setrlimit(RLIMIT_NOFILE, ...). If it does so you might
need to increase the hard limit.

> Is it just a matter of increasing the hard value under Slackware 15.0? I
> haven't done so yet because I don't know how to do so without rebooting

As root is able to increase the hard limit and child processes inherit
their parents limits you might try:

su root
ulimit -Hn 1048576
su my_normal_user
ulimit -Hn

and voila! You will have a shell as your normal user where the hard limit
is 1048576.

> which, for a number of reasons, is not an option in the short term.

In the long term you might want to create a file /etc/initscript looking
something like this:

-8<----------------------------
#
# initscript If this script is intalled as /etc/initscript,
# it is executed by init(8) for every program it
# wants to spawn like this:
#
#
# It can be used to set the default umask and ulimit
# of all processes. By default this script is installed
# as /etc/initscript.sample, so to enable it you must
# rename this script first to /etc/initscript.
#
# Version: @(#)initscript 1.10 10-Dec-1995 MvS.
#
# Author: Miquel van Smoorenburg, <miq...@cistron.nl>
#
/proc/sys/fs/file-max
ulimit -Hn 1048576

# Execute the program.
eval exec "$4"

-8<----------------------------

From some startup script you also might want to increase the value of
/proc/sys/fs/file-max

regards Henrik

Rich

Mar 17, 2023, 4:17:01 PM3/17/23
Harold Johanssen <noe...@please.net> wrote:
> Anybody know to overcome this problem? Like I said, the code is
> exactly the same in both Ubuntu 20.04 and Slackware 15.0, and I have the
> following settings:

It looks like you gave the solution in your post, note:

> Slackware 15.0:
>
> # ulimit -Hn
> 4096
>
> Ubuntu 20.04:
>
> # ulimit -Hn
> 1048576
>
> Is it just a matter of increasing the hard value under Slackware 15.0?

The difference is Ubuntu allows a much higher hard limit.

> I haven't done so yet because I don't know how to do so without
> rebooting - which, for a number of reasons, is not an option in the
> short term.

The beauty of Linux (and Unix systems in general) is that almost all
'settings' short of replacment of the kernel binary itself can be
changed without rebooting. Unlike that other OS that requires a reboot
after each change in it's tabbed, checkbox filled, native configuration
UI.

In a root shell do:

ulimit -Hn 1048576

Then, from that same shell, "su -" to the user you are running this app
as, and that shell should inheret the new setting from the root shell
where you made the change.

As to which /etc file to edit to make it a permanant change I'd have to
'google' around for that one.

Henrik Carlqvist

Mar 18, 2023, 6:46:04 AM3/18/23

Sorry about the line /proc/sys/fs/file-max which by accident got copied
also into my /etc/initscript below it is not supposed to be there
The /proc/sys/fs/file-max could be modified from some startup script
like /etc/rc.d/rc.local .

regards Henrik