No sound on chrome

root

Jan 23, 2022, 12:03:18 PM1/23/22
After updating my Slack 64 bit 14.2 with slackpkg I have lost
sound with the Chrome browser. I also found that pulseaudio
became the default sound. One suggestion for restoring sound
was to disable pulseaudio, which I did by chmoding -x rc.pulseaudio
and killall pulseaudio. That did not give me sound. I changed
my /etc/asound.conf to:

# ALSA system-wide config file
# By default, redirect to PulseAudio:
#pcm.default pulse
#ctl.default pulse
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 1
device 3
}
ctl.!default {
type hw
card 1
}
pcm.headset {
type bluetooth
}

ctl.headset {
type bluetooth
}

I want all my sound sources to output to HDMI output
on my NVidia sound card. I have mplayer and MPV working
but I am able to specify the sound device upon invocation.
The browser doesn't have a -ao option.

aplay -l yields:
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

mplayer and mpv will not play with card 1 device 7, but
they will play with device 3.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

John McCue

Jan 23, 2022, 12:08:27 PM1/23/22
root <NoE...@home.org> wrote:
> After updating my Slack 64 bit 14.2 with slackpkg I have lost
> sound with the Chrome browser. I also found that pulseaudio
> became the default sound. One suggestion for restoring sound
> was to disable pulseaudio, which I did by chmoding -x rc.pulseaudio
> and killall pulseaudio. That did not give me sound. I changed
> my /etc/asound.conf to:

Before disabling puls, did you try executing this
'pavucontrol' ?

That will allow you to link audio to chrome.

<snip>

> I would appreciate any suggestions.

Out side of that, I have no other ideas.

> Thanks.

HTH

--
csh(1) - "An elegant shell, for a more... civilized age."
- Paraphrasing Star Wars