docker slackbuild on 15.0 fails

#Paul

May 1, 2023, 10:32:05 AM5/1/23

Has anyone here tried or used the slackbuild for docker on S15?

I am trying to install it but can't even get the dependencies to
compile (first the runc slackbuild fails, but I can manually tweak
things to get it to finish by an ad hoc delete of the -fpie flag,
but then the next docker dependency (containerd) also fails to build

Since my 15 install is no longer very pure it might just be me,
although I am not sure what it is I might have done to upset
things - mainly I've just added multilib and installed other
things from slackbuilds. Perhaps something has changed in the
latest (google) go?

Any ideas? I could post the compile errors if you like, but really
all I'm looking for at the moment is either "me too" or "its fine
for me".

#Paul

Sylvain Robitaille

May 6, 2023, 7:52:56 PM5/6/23
On 2023-05-01, #Paul wrote:

> ... I could post the compile errors if you like, but really all I'm
> looking for at the moment is either "me too" or "its fine for me".

I think that you might as well post the compiler errors for each
package you're trying to get installed, and folks are likely to
be able to help with those even if they haven't run into the same,
or perhaps not even tried to install those packages.

By the way, have you considered installing singularity (aka
"apptainer") as an alternative to docker, without the history of
security nightmares that docker has had? (though I admit that docker
itself has likely since gotten over the more nightmarish situations.)
In the interest of full disclosure, I've not looked at either package
since about 2017(-ish?). Things have certainly changed in that time,
but at the time singularity was rather straightforward to install,
could run containers intended for docker, and did not present a risk
of giving up root on the host system.

I hope that this helps.

Sylvain Robitaille s...@therockgarden.ca