Screen resolution when booting into different partition

The Real Bev

Aug 18, 2021, 12:42:45 PM8/18/21
I use the command:

huge.s root=/dev/xxyy rdinit=ro

to do this, but the resulting screen is 80x20, which is intolerable. Is
there something I can add to this command to change the resolution? I'd
like vga=791 if possible.

--
Cheers, Bev
If violence isn't solving the problem, you're not using enough of it.

Henrik Carlqvist

Aug 18, 2021, 12:53:35 PM8/18/21
On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 09:42:41 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> I use the command:
>
> huge.s root=/dev/xxyy rdinit=ro
>
> to do this, but the resulting screen is 80x20, which is intolerable. Is
> there something I can add to this command to change the resolution? I'd
> like vga=791 if possible.

Did you try:

huge.s root=/dev/xxyy rdinit=ro vga=791

?

regards Henrik

The Real Bev

Aug 18, 2021, 2:29:51 PM8/18/21
Yes, just after I posted :-(

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm experimenting with the slackware-current ISO. I find that the
command line has changed and now instead of rdinit you use initrd and
the commands to the frame buffer come before the root.

The following line works to get VGA=791:

huge.s vga=791 root=/dev/xxyy initrd= ro

But I'd rather have the mode set to give me 1920x1080, so it seems as
though the boot line is running with nomodeset. I tried adding modeset
or modeset=1 in place of the VGA, but with that I get the 80x24 display.

--
Cheers, Bev
Todd Flanders' hobbies include being quiet on long rides,

Chris Elvidge

Aug 18, 2021, 3:42:32 PM8/18/21
Try 'vga=ask' and follow the instructions

--
Chris Elvidge
England

The Real Bev

Aug 18, 2021, 3:45:43 PM8/18/21
Thanks.

The problem comes from /isolinux/isolinux.cfg which forces a null modset.

I've tried overriding by adding modeset or modeset=1 but that doesn't
override the null modeset.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I don't care who your father is! Drop that cross

Henrik Carlqvist

Aug 19, 2021, 2:11:56 AM8/19/21
On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 12:45:41 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:
> The problem comes from /isolinux/isolinux.cfg which forces a null
> modset.

If there is no easier solution to the problem, it is possible to make a
copy of the DVD contents, change isolinux.cfg in that copy and create a
new iso image using mkisofs.

regards Henrik