KDE's Plasma 5 nearly perfected...

Bobbie Sellers

Jun 28, 2018, 10:57:08 AM6/28/18
Hi readers and typers
I am using PCLinuxOS64 and what I mention here about KDE is only
applicable to that distribution which is a Rolling Release.

    Well I checked again today and one of the recent updates,
200+ on Sunday, restored the Time Copy function to the Digital Clock.
    Thursday, June 28, 2018

    Hurray.
    And by the way my Firefox is at version 61 now if only kernel
4.17.3 works out well all will be swell.

    bliss

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Aragorn

Jun 28, 2018, 3:06:50 PM6/28/18
On Thursday 28 June 2018 16:57, Bobbie Sellers conveyed the following to
alt.os.linux.mandrake...

> Hi readers and typers
> I am using PCLinuxOS64 and what I mention here about KDE is only
> applicable to that distribution which is a Rolling Release.
>
> Well I checked again today and one of the recent updates,
> 200+ on Sunday, restored the Time Copy function to the Digital Clock.
> Thursday, June 28, 2018

Yes, this latest Plasma update should bump the version to Plasma 5.13,
and the ability to copy the time from the clock to the clipboard was
indeed announced as one of the features of 5.13.

But according to KDE themselves, 5.13 is the end of the road, barring
any patch level updates to fix more of bugs. So that means that they're
already preparing for Qt6 and Plasma 6.

Plasma 4 was already fairly usable and stable by the time it hit 4.6,
and the 4.14 I'm using here is really, really good ─ safe for Akonadi,
which has always been a piece of junk. (Duplicate mails, ghosted
duplicate mails that won't disappear until you restart Akonadi, and so
on.)

I therefore find it alarming that KDE needed to get Plasma 5 up to 5.12
first before it became stable enough for production use. Anything
before 5.12 was simply put too unstable. A simple Firefox crash could
easily take down the whole desktop.

> Hurray.
> And by the way my Firefox is at version 61 now if only kernel
> 4.17.3 works out well all will be swell.

As I understand it, the problems with many of the latest kernels are due
to the Meltdown and Spectre patches. It appears to be an upstream
problem, rather than a distro-specific problem. The people on the
Gentoo mailing list are also reporting crashes and other irregularities
with the latest kernels.

Best is to stick to one of the latest LTS kernels.

--
With respect,
= Aragorn =

Bobbie Sellers

Jun 28, 2018, 3:40:01 PM6/28/18
On 06/28/2018 12:06 PM, Aragorn wrote:
> On Thursday 28 June 2018 16:57, Bobbie Sellers conveyed the following to
> alt.os.linux.mandrake...

Set the follow-up to alt.os.linux.pclinuxos

>> Hi readers and typers
>> I am using PCLinuxOS64 and what I mention here about KDE is only
>> applicable to that distribution which is a Rolling Release.
>>
>> Well I checked again today and one of the recent updates,
>> 200+ on Sunday, restored the Time Copy function to the Digital Clock.
>> Thursday, June 28, 2018
>
> Yes, this latest Plasma update should bump the version to Plasma 5.13,
> and the ability to copy the time from the clock to the clipboard was
> indeed announced as one of the features of 5.13.
>
> But according to KDE themselves, 5.13 is the end of the road, barring
> any patch level updates to fix more of bugs. So that means that they're
> already preparing for Qt6 and Plasma 6.

Well I hope they take a long rest after all this pointless effort,
since I see all the changes since 3.5.9 as pointless and amuse
themselves by finding and fixing the security aspects of the current
version(s).

> Plasma 4 was already fairly usable and stable by the time it hit 4.6,
> and the 4.14 I'm using here is really, really good ─ safe for Akonadi,
> which has always been a piece of junk. (Duplicate mails, ghosted
> duplicate mails that won't disappear until you restart Akonadi, and so
> on.)
>
> I therefore find it alarming that KDE needed to get Plasma 5 up to 5.12
> first before it became stable enough for production use. Anything
> before 5.12 was simply put too unstable. A simple Firefox crash could
> easily take down the whole desktop.
>
>> Hurray.
>> And by the way my Firefox is at version 61 now if only kernel
>> 4.17.3 works out well all will be swell.
>
> As I understand it, the problems with many of the latest kernels are due
> to the Meltdown and Spectre patches. It appears to be an upstream
> problem, rather than a distro-specific problem. The people on the
> Gentoo mailing list are also reporting crashes and other irregularities
> with the latest kernels.
>
> Best is to stick to one of the latest LTS kernels.

I use the latest functional kernel and always have
an older kernel ready to use if the new one gives me a problem.
Only once in the updates to deal with the Spectre and Meltdown
problems has a kernel failed to work. I let Texstar know about
it and he was very accomodating but then I donate to the effort
to keep the work going.
I haven't lost any work as far as I know to Plasma 5.