moving mail using kmail to another computer

Bacchus

Sep 17, 2012, 5:39:16 PM9/17/12
I have been googling the process to move mail and addresses using kmail
to a new computer, but many pages are 5 or 6 years old and other stuff is
a bit confusing.

Anyone know of a simple way to move addresses and email in kmail to new
machine.

TIA

Whiskers

Sep 18, 2012, 8:59:37 AM9/18/12
Won't all that stuff be in the user's home directory? Possibly 'hidden',
and not necessarily all in one directory. Just copy /home/user to the new
machine (and then make sure the files are owned by the appropriate user on
the new system, and have the proper permissions).

Or set up the new system then use Kmail's 'import' tools to grab what you
want from the old hard disc (which will have to be accessible to the new
system somehow, of course).

Or use IMAP to have all the messages and folders duplicated on the upstream
server(s) so that Kmail (or any other email client) on the new system will
pick them up as soon as the accounts are set up and connected. Use the
export/import tools to transfer the 'contacts'.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Doug Laidlaw

Sep 18, 2012, 8:50:59 AM9/18/12
What version of Kmail? I had trouble upgrading from kmail1 to Kmail2,
although 2 has its importer. In an earlier post, I mentioned a link
suggesting that you needed to delete history from akonadi or another of
KDE's wonderful creations, I have forgotten which.

If your versions of Kmail are equivalent, your mailboxes are in your ~/.kde.
Where exactly depends on whether it is 1 or 2. Your config is in
~/.kde/share/config, and your address book is probably kabc. Kmail
certainly has an exporter, but unless you are moving to Thunderbird or
Claws-mail, you shouldn't need to use it.

HTH,

Doug.

Buckaroo

Sep 18, 2012, 12:22:03 PM9/18/12

> What version of Kmail? I had trouble upgrading from kmail1 to Kmail2,
> although 2 has its importer. In an earlier post,

KMail
Version 1.13.5

Maurice Batey

Sep 24, 2012, 11:24:50 AM9/24/12
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 22:50:59 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

> I had trouble upgrading from kmail1 to Kmail2,
> although 2 has its importer.

The most effective and straightforward approach I have found is to hand
over the whole ~/.kde4/.../kmail/mail directory as ~/mail on the Kmail2 m/c, and specify
that directory in the Account's Local Folder definition.

Kmail2 will then show your previous email folder structure, and index (& automatically re-index)
the contents of each. Much simpler and less messy than using any Import option.

--
/\/\aurice (Currently somewhere in the Greek Islands.)