Interview with Gael Duval URL plus my notes.

Bobbie Sellers

May 25, 2019, 12:03:34 AM5/25/19
Hi Reader and Typer,
I do a column for a User Group newsletter in
the Mid-Western USA. I found this while hunting
online for items and thought it might be of some
interest to the Usenet which like myself is still
using a similar system.

History of Mandrake, Mandriva.

This is an interview with Gael Duval who created the
first of the easy to use systems we see from every publisher
today.

Gael Duval, Father of User Friendly Linux, on Mandrake and /e/ Phone »
May 20th, 2019

Full article at the URL below:
<https://fossforce.com/2019/04/gael-duval-father-of-user-friendly-linux-on-mandrake-and-e-phone/>

Note:above see "Father of User Friendly Linux".
If you use a Graphic User Interface to do installs or
configuration we look to Duval who adopted the first
of these for Mandrake-Linux.

Mandriva was the first Linux I used. I came from the
Amiga systems as built by Commodore Business Machines
in the 1980s and the 1990s. CBM failed in 1994.
I kept using it for quite some time. It was a proprietary
system. I started with floppy drives and went to hard
drives on the Amiga before the CBM had useful and
inexpensive SCSI Host Cards.
In about 2006 I got a cheap laptop through a
trusted friend. And played with XP for a while then
though the auspices of couple of Amiga online friends
I got my first copies of Mandriva supplied as iso files
on a DVD which files I burned to a stack of CDs.
Then I bought some software, a Norton tool
as I remember, and made room for Linux on a 30
Gigabyte IDE drive. I installed Mandriva and was
off to a new term of enjoyment of learning about
a new OS. Mandriva failed about 2011 but as
with Amiga I was resistant to the need to change
and it was about 2014 before I found a new system
which is what I use now PCLinuxOS64.
The Amiga lasted about 15 years for me and
Linux has been working for me for the last 14
years on about 5 different computers, all but one
a notebook or laptop.
If no Gael Duval then I would not be able to
use a computer in the manner to which most of us
are accustomed today.

All thanks to Gael Duval for getting
the easier to use Linux OS off the ground.

bliss

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com