hard drive light blinking

faeychild

Feb 8, 2009, 8:00:01 AM2/8/09
I recently installed 2009 and found my HD light constantly blinking.

Google gave several OLD hits complaining about Autostart and Magicdev , which are not running.

One other item pointed to auth.log filling up with constant hits by hddtemp

So mine was too; every 5 seconds.

Feb 8 23:10:23 unimatrix userhelper[2393]: running '/usr/sbin/hddtemp -q
/dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc' with root privileges
Feb 8 23:10:28 unimatrix userhelper[2718]: running '/usr/sbin/hddtemp -q
/dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc' with root privileges
Feb 8 23:10:33 unimatrix userhelper[2720]: running '/usr/sbin/hddtemp -q
/dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc' with root privileges
Feb 8 23:10:38 unimatrix userhelper[2722]: running '/usr/sbin/hddtemp -q
/dev/sdb /dev/sdc' with root privileges
Feb 8 23:10:43 unimatrix userhelper[2724]: running '/usr/sbin/hddtemp -q
/dev/sdc' with root privileges

I stopped the 'Ksensors" which stopped the auth log entry.

The light is still blinking and while erratic the intervals are shorter than 5 seconds anyway.

"Top" shows the usual stuff like "X" "konsole" "init" "kwin" etc but I don't know if these affect the drive access.

Shutting down to run level 3 has no effect on the drive light.
Nothing in the mandriva errata either.

Does anyone else have the problem?

--
faeychild

Moe Trin

Feb 8, 2009, 1:27:21 PM2/8/09
On Mon, 09 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
<gmml7q$40v$4...@news.motzarella.org>, faeychild wrote:

>I recently installed 2009 and found my HD light constantly blinking.

1. /etc/fstab - what partitions are in use/mounted?

2. As root, `find / -mmin 60 -exec ls -ld {} \;

The last is going to take a minute or two to run. If that doesn't
find anything of interest, repeat but replace -mmin with -amin.
SEE THE MAN PAGE FOR FIND.

If that fails, close down applications to a minimum (preferably in
run level 3), and run the command '/sbin/swapoff -a' and see if
that stops the flashing. '/sbin/swapon -a' to turn swap back on
again.

>Shutting down to run level 3 has no effect on the drive light.

OK - what about going down to level 1 (single user)?

Old guy

David W. Hodgins

Feb 8, 2009, 2:29:45 PM2/8/09
On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 08:00:01 -0500, faeychild <pho...@deimos.com> wrote:

> I recently installed 2009 and found my HD light constantly blinking.

> The light is still blinking and while erratic the intervals are shorter than 5 seconds anyway.
> "Top" shows the usual stuff like "X" "konsole" "init" "kwin" etc but I don't know if these affect the drive access.

Is beagle indexing the drive? I don't use beagle/kerry, so I run "urpme beagle", after any
new installs.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

faeychild

Feb 8, 2009, 4:57:52 PM2/8/09
Moe Trin wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in
> article <gmml7q$40v$4...@news.motzarella.org>, faeychild wrote:
>
>>I recently installed 2009 and found my HD light constantly blinking.
>
> 1. /etc/fstab - what partitions are in use/mounted?

cat /etc/fstab
# Entry for /dev/sda5 :
UUID=75cd56c0-6e1a-4ddc-b490-4356e3bed8ad / ext3 relatime 1 1
# Entry for /dev/sda1 :
UUID=4cd00bf2-da4f-44ac-a05a-51754349c171 /boot ext3 relatime 1 2
# Entry for /dev/sdb1 :
UUID=96fc83a5-eed1-4b37-9f46-73366fc445d6 /data ext3 relatime 1 2
/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
# Entry for /dev/sdb2 :
UUID=e1d0af39-95e4-48e9-8cc2-c26e3b59373e swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/sdc contains the old (2007) root partition and is manually mounted when I need to retrieve something

> 2. As root, `find / -mmin 60 -exec ls -ld {} \;

find / -mmin 60 -exec ls -ld {} \;

find: `/proc/16161/task/16161/fd/5': No such file or directory
find: `/proc/16161/task/16161/fdinfo/5': No such file or directory
find: `/proc/16161/fd/5': No such file or directory
find: `/proc/16161/fdinfo/5': No such file or directory

If fd is the floppy drive. I don't have one

find / -amin 60 -exec ls -ld {} \;
find: `/proc/27386/task/27386/fd/5': No such file or directory
find: `/proc/27386/task/27386/fdinfo/5': No such file or directory
find: `/proc/27386/fd/5': No such file or directory
find: `/proc/27386/fdinfo/5': No such file or directory

> If that fails, close down applications to a minimum (preferably in
> run level 3), and run the command '/sbin/swapoff -a' and see if
> that stops the flashing. '/sbin/swapon -a' to turn swap back on
> again.

swapoff at run level 3 has no effect

>>Shutting down to run level 3 has no effect on the drive light.
>
> OK - what about going down to level 1 (single user)?

Some brief and reduced activity at run level 1 then it ceased completely. So something that runs in multi user is accessing the drive

I notice the boot messages warn of a full boot partition. I seem to have made it a bit small when I installed. Could this cause constant drive this access?

--
faeychild

faeychild

Feb 8, 2009, 5:06:20 PM2/8/09
David W. Hodgins wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 08:00:01 -0500, faeychild <pho...@deimos.com> wrote:
>
>> I recently installed 2009 and found my HD light constantly blinking.
>> The light is still blinking and while erratic the intervals are shorter
>> than 5 seconds anyway. "Top" shows the usual stuff like "X" "konsole"
>> "init" "kwin" etc but I don't know if these affect the drive access.
>
> Is beagle indexing the drive? I don't use beagle/kerry, so I run "urpme
> beagle", after any new installs.

I ran that and found my database locked again. I hope not a new problem ;-(

sudo urpme beagle
The following packages contain beagle:
libbeagle1-0.3.5.1-2mdv2009.0.i586

The light still flashes

--
faeychild

David W. Hodgins

Feb 8, 2009, 8:03:56 PM2/8/09
On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 17:06:20 -0500, faeychild <pho...@deimos.com> wrote:

> I ran that and found my database locked again. I hope not a new problem ;-(

That points to another application running. The mdkapplet runs urpmi.update periodically to see
if there are any updates. I prefer to check for updates, when I feel like it. :) To disable mdkapplet put
AUTOSTART=FALSE
in the file ~/.MdkOnline/mdkonline for each user.

You may also have cron.daily running things like msec, which can take a while. With anacron, the
default install of 2009.0 delays the start of cron.daily until 65 minutes after bootup. I find the utility
htop better then top, as it allows you to view all processes, optionally in a tree format.

Moe Trin

Feb 8, 2009, 10:20:04 PM2/8/09
<gmnl3l$r7s$4...@news.motzarella.org>, faeychild wrote:

>Moe Trin wrote:

>> 1. /etc/fstab - what partitions are in use/mounted?

>cat /etc/fstab

OK - sda5 root, sda1 /boot, sdb1 /data, and sdb2 swap.

>/dev/sdc contains the old (2007) root partition and is manually
>mounted when I need to retrieve something

But it's not mounted now.

>find / -mmin 60 -exec ls -ld {} \;
>find: `/proc/16161/task/16161/fd/5': No such file or directory
>find: `/proc/16161/task/16161/fdinfo/5': No such file or directory
>find: `/proc/16161/fd/5': No such file or directory
>find: `/proc/16161/fdinfo/5': No such file or directory

That's all in memory (/proc is kernel memory). Nothing happening on
the disk. OH, Crappity-Crap! _My_ error - that should be

find / -mmin -60 -exec ls -ld {} \;

which means in the last 60 minutes - not "-mmin 60" which means
exactly 60 minutes ago. Sorry.

>If fd is the floppy drive. I don't have one

No, 'man proc'. fd is the file descriptors

>> If that fails, close down applications to a minimum (preferably in
>> run level 3), and run the command '/sbin/swapoff -a' and see if
>> that stops the flashing. '/sbin/swapon -a' to turn swap back on
>> again.
>
>swapoff at run level 3 has no effect

OK, _that's_ been ruled out. So it's something on /dev/sda[15] or
/dev/sdb1 - let's try that again with the correct option

>> OK - what about going down to level 1 (single user)?
>
>Some brief and reduced activity at run level 1 then it ceased
>completely. So something that runs in multi user is accessing
>the drive

Unfortunately, that can be a lot of stuff. Notice the difference in
the number of "Snn*" links in /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/ verses /etc/rc.d/rc3.d
or equal.

>I notice the boot messages warn of a full boot partition. I seem to
>have made it a bit small when I installed. Could this cause constant
>drive this access?

Ah, memories of a system going tits up because /var/log/ got filled up
by syslogd writing warning messages to the logs that the filesystem
was full... That's one reason why /var/ is SOMETIMES put on it's
own partition, and in installs where there are multiple computers,
some of the log data is forwarded to a "log server" computer.

In theory, a full file system could cause this kind of problem, but it
shouldn't be writing that often. Likewise, cron activities only occur
once every minute, so that's not likely either.

Old guy

David Mathog

Feb 9, 2009, 11:28:11 AM2/9/09
faeychild wrote:
> I recently installed 2009 and found my HD light constantly blinking.

One can usually debug this sort of thing by first booting to single
user. With any luck you will not have this issue at that run state,
since very little is running. Then go through the contents of
/etc/rc5.d/init.d, starting them one by one with
service NAME start
in the order shown by the S## prefixes. Wait a bit at each to see wjocj
one corresponds to the lights starting to flash. If that service is
something you don't need, disable it with chkconfig or uninstall it. If
it is something you need, then further work will be needed to see which
part of the service (if more than one process runs) is responsible.

You mentioned elsewhere in this thread that one of your partitions is
full. Fix that before doing anything else. Alls sorts of things can go
crazy when a disk is full, or very nearly so.

Regards,

David Mathog

faeychild

Feb 10, 2009, 1:56:57 AM2/10/09
David Mathog wrote:

> faeychild wrote:
>> I recently installed 2009 and found my HD light constantly blinking.
>
> One can usually debug this sort of thing by first booting to single
> user. With any luck you will not have this issue at that run state,
> since very little is running. Then go through the contents of
> /etc/rc5.d/init.d, starting them one by one with
> service NAME start

good idea

> in the order shown by the S## prefixes. Wait a bit at each to see wjocj
> one corresponds to the lights starting to flash. If that service is
> something you don't need, disable it with chkconfig or uninstall it. If
> it is something you need, then further work will be needed to see which
> part of the service (if more than one process runs) is responsible.
>
> You mentioned elsewhere in this thread that one of your partitions is
> full. Fix that before doing anything else. Alls sorts of things can go
> crazy when a disk is full, or very nearly so.

It butts up against the root directory so that will be a lot of fun

--
faeychild

faeychild

Feb 10, 2009, 3:05:19 AM2/10/09
David Mathog wrote:

> faeychild wrote:
>> I recently installed 2009 and found my HD light constantly blinking.
>
> One can usually debug this sort of thing by first booting to single
> user. With any luck you will not have this issue at that run state,
> since very little is running. Then go through the contents of
> /etc/rc5.d/init.d, starting them one by one with
> service NAME start
> in the order shown by the S## prefixes.

If they are the start order why such large numbers? I have S99local. It's not the ninety ninth to start.
And which is first with the identical numbers?
S03ip6tables S03iptables
S50network-up S50resolveconf S50syslog

--
faeychild

Bit Twister

Feb 10, 2009, 8:45:21 AM2/10/09
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 19:05:19 +1100, faeychild wrote:

> If they are the start order why such large numbers?

Leaves space for new processes/services/daemons to be inserted without
renumbering everyone.

> I have S99local. It's not the ninety ninth to start.

But it is the last to be started. :-)

> And which is first with the identical numbers?
> S03ip6tables S03iptables
> S50network-up S50resolveconf S50syslog

All things being equal, same numbered items will be executed in the order
you have shown them.

Moe Trin

Feb 10, 2009, 3:02:02 PM2/10/09
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
<gmrcg0$iip$1...@news.motzarella.org>, faeychild wrote:

>> in the order shown by the S## prefixes.

>If they are the start order why such large numbers? I have S99local.
>It's not the ninety ninth to start.

No, but it is one of (if not) the _last_ to start, which is the intent.

>And which is first with the identical numbers?
>S03ip6tables S03iptables
>S50network-up S50resolveconf S50syslog

Long ago in a boot script far away, you encountered this:

# First, run the KILL scripts.
for i in /etc/rc.d/rc$runlevel.d/K*; do
# Bring the subsystem down.
$i stop
done
# Now run the START scripts.
for i in /etc/rc.d/rc$runlevel.d/S*; do
# Bring the subsystem up.
$i start
done

and that's called file globbing. To see the order in which the
run-level scripts are run, you need only run the command

ls -1 /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/K*

and

ls -1 /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S*

but note that is an 'ls minus one'. So, the answer is - in the same
order as is shown by the ls command because it's a shell parameter
expansion function.

Old guy

faeychild

Feb 10, 2009, 11:55:39 PM2/10/09
Bit Twister wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 19:05:19 +1100, faeychild wrote:
>
>> If they are the start order why such large numbers?
>
> Leaves space for new processes/services/daemons to be inserted without
> renumbering everyone.

Umm Yes of course. Rather obvious now that you point it out :-)

>> I have S99local. It's not the ninety ninth to start.
>
> But it is the last to be started. :-)

--
faeychild

David W. Hodgins

Feb 11, 2009, 1:23:40 AM2/11/09
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 23:55:39 -0500, faeychild <pho...@deimos.com> wrote:

> Umm Yes of course. Rather obvious now that you point it out :-)

Interested in some more info about this? :)

Keep in mind that starting the scripts in sort order is based on using chkconfig.

Mandriva uses a parallel startup process called prcsys, which allows multiple
scripts to be running, at the same time.

Most of the init scripts have been setup to use lines like ...
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: ntpd
# Required-Start: $network
# Should-Start: $named
# Required-Stop: $network
# Should-Stop: $named
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Short-Description: Synchronizes system time using the Network Time Protocol (NTP)
# with another reference time source.
### END INIT INFO

These lines tell prcsys which other startup scripts must be done before this
one can run, and what it provides, that other scripts can use to ensure this
script has finished, before they are run.

All of the startup scripts have lines like ...
# chkconfig: 345 56 10

which are used to control the startup order, when prcsys is not being used.

When prcsys is being used, especially on computers with more then one cpu,
it can really speed up the boot process.

When it is used, any of the init scripts that don't have the info needed for prcsys
will be run based on the chkconfig order (Compat-mode). You may want to take
a look at /var/log/prcsys.log, for messages that scrolled by too fast during bootup.

To disable prcsys include "nopinit" as a kernel parameter, at boot up. That
will run the scripts based on the sort order.

There is a known bug where more than one startup script has the same "provides"
name. In that case, when a startup script is added (using chkconfig which works
with prcsys), only one of the scripts will be recognized as being required. Not only
does this mess up prcsys, it also messes up chkconfig, as the wrong numbers are
used in the symlinks. The only application I'm aware of, where this currently
causes a problem, is with netfs (which conflicts with fuse, both claiming to provide
the remote_fs facility). The impact of the bug, in this case, is an additional time
on shutdown.

Bit Twister

Feb 11, 2009, 5:54:09 AM2/11/09
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 01:23:40 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

> There is a known bug where more than one startup script has the same "provides"
> name. In that case, when a startup script is added (using chkconfig which works
> with prcsys), only one of the scripts will be recognized as being required. Not only
> does this mess up prcsys, it also messes up chkconfig, as the wrong numbers are
> used in the symlinks.

Makes you wonder how well speedboot is going to work. :(

http://www.nabble.com/-Cooker--ANNOUNCE-%3A-Speedboot%2C-phase-1%2C-has-landed-on-cooker-td21859493.html

David W. Hodgins

Feb 11, 2009, 12:20:18 PM2/11/09
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 05:54:09 -0500, Bit Twister <BitTw...@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

> Makes you wonder how well speedboot is going to work. :(

I noticed it in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit yesterday, so gave it a try. Doesn't work at all, if you have any lvm
volumes.

faeychild

Feb 12, 2009, 4:54:07 PM2/12/09
Moe Trin wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in
> article <gmnl3l$r7s$4...@news.motzarella.org>, faeychild wrote:
>
>>Moe Trin wrote:
>
>>> 1. /etc/fstab - what partitions are in use/mounted?
>
>>cat /etc/fstab
>
> OK - sda5 root, sda1 /boot, sdb1 /data, and sdb2 swap.
>
>>/dev/sdc contains the old (2007) root partition and is manually
>>mounted when I need to retrieve something
>
> But it's not mounted now.
>
>>find / -mmin 60 -exec ls -ld {} \;
>>find: `/proc/16161/task/16161/fd/5': No such file or directory
>>find: `/proc/16161/task/16161/fdinfo/5': No such file or directory
>>find: `/proc/16161/fd/5': No such file or directory
>>find: `/proc/16161/fdinfo/5': No such file or directory
>
> That's all in memory (/proc is kernel memory). Nothing happening on
> the disk. OH, Crappity-Crap! _My_ error - that should be
>
> find / -mmin -60 -exec ls -ld {} \;

this creates an enormous file Moe even after the machine has been off all night.

drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 4096 2009-02-13 08:32 /
drwxr-xr-x 96 root root 12288 2009-02-13 08:32 /etc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 202 2009-02-13 08:32 /etc/resolv.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 110 2009-02-13 08:32 /etc/issue
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 117 2009-02-13 08:32 /etc/issue.net
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-02-13 08:32 /etc/blkid
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 908 2009-02-13 08:32 /etc/blkid/blkid.tab.old
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 908 2009-02-13 08:32 /etc/blkid/blkid.tab
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 27 2009-02-13 08:32 /etc/sysconfig/harddrake2/kernel
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7159 2009-02-13 08:32 /etc/sysconfig/harddrake2/previous_hw
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 202 2009-02-13 08:32 /etc/mtab

[snip]

-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 2009-02-13 08:35 /sys/kernel/slab/:0000512/slab_size
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 2009-02-13 08:35 /sys/kernel/slab/:0000512/object_size
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 2009-02-13 08:35 /sys/kernel/slab/:0000512/objs_per_slab
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 2009-02-13 08:35 /sys/kernel/slab/:0000512/order
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 2009-02-13 08:35 /sys/kernel/slab/:0000512/objects
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 2009-02-13 08:35 /sys/kernel/slab/:0000512/objects_partial
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 2009-02-13 08:35 /sys/kernel/slab/:0000512/total_objects
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 2009-02-13 08:35 /sys/kernel/slab/:0000512/slabs
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 2009-02-13 08:35 /sys/kernel/slab/:0000512/partial
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 2009-02-13 08:35 /sys/kernel/slab/:0000512/cpu_slabs
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 2009-02-13 08:35 /sys/kernel/slab/:0000512/ctor
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 2009-02-13 08:35 /sys/kernel/slab/:0000512/aliases

[snip]

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:35 /proc/sys/kernel/shmall
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:35 /proc/sys/kernel/shmmni
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:35 /proc/sys/kernel/msgmax
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:35 /proc/sys/kernel/msgmni
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:35 /proc/sys/kernel/msgmnb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:35 /proc/sys/kernel/sem
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:35 /proc/sys/kernel/auto_msgmni
dr-xr-xr-x 0 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:35 /proc/sys/kernel/pty
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:35 /proc/sys/kernel/pty/max
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:35 /proc/sys/kernel/pty/nr
dr-xr-xr-x 0 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:35 /proc/sys/vm
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:35 /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:35 /proc/sys/vm/panic_on_oom
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:35 /proc/sys/vm/oom_kill_allocating_task
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:35 /proc/sys/vm/oom_dump_tasks
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:35 /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ratio
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:35 /proc/sys/vm/page-cluster
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:35 /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio

[snip]

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5 2009-02-13 08:32 /var/run/crond.pid
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5 2009-02-13 08:32 /var/run/messagebus.pid
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5 2009-02-13 08:32 /var/run/haldaemon.pid
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:32 /var/run/alsactl
drwxr-x--- 2 haldaemon haldaemon 4096 2009-02-13 08:32 /var/run/hald
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1372 2009-02-13 08:32 /var/run/hald/acl-list
drwxr-x--- 2 root root 4096 2009-02-13 08:32 /var/run/ConsoleKit
-rw------- 1 root root 652 2009-02-13 08:32 /var/run/ConsoleKit/database
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5 2009-02-13 08:32 /var/run/dhclient-eth0.pid
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4 2009-02-13 08:33 /var/run/ntpd.pid
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-02-13 08:32 /var/run/xauth
-rw------- 1 root root 44 2009-02-13 08:32 /var/run/xauth/A:0-yI3LhQ
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-02-13 08:33 /var/lib/shorewall
-rwx------ 1 root root 44395 2009-02-13 08:33 /var/lib/shorewall/.restore
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 36 2009-02-13 08:33 /var/lib/shorewall/zones
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:33 /var/lib/shorewall/nat
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-13 08:33 /var/lib/shorewall/proxyarp
-rwx------ 1 root root 44395 2009-02-13 08:33 /var/lib/shorewall/.start

A lot of HD access.

This thing is a gordian knot, Moe. I may have to live with it and poke away gradually.

At least Linux compresses, rotates and dumps logs so it wont grow.

--
faeychild

Moe Trin

Feb 13, 2009, 8:17:41 PM2/13/09
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
<gn261i$6m4$5...@news.motzarella.org>, faeychild wrote:

>Moe Trin wrote:

>> That's all in memory (/proc is kernel memory). Nothing happening on
>> the disk. OH, Crappity-Crap! _My_ error - that should be
>>
>> find / -mmin -60 -exec ls -ld {} \;

>this creates an enormous file Moe even after the machine has been off
>all night.

Yeah, it would be better the have the system on (and the user logged in
if possible), but otherwise unused.

>drwxr-xr-x 96 root root 12288 2009-02-13 08:32 /etc

Everything in /etc/ is at 08:32, which is apparently when you booted.

[/sys and /proc]

Right time, but no. /sys/kernel/slab/ and /proc/sys/ are both kernel
memory functions.

[/var/run/]

These are also startup related - not likely to be the problem. The .pid
files are created by the startup scripts, and contain the process ID
of the process mentioned.

>A lot of HD access.

Yes, but nothing here looks suspicious.

>This thing is a gordian knot, Moe. I may have to live with it and
>poke away gradually.

I had suggested the -mmin -60 purely at random. As this disk access is
virtually continuous, what you could do is boot, log in, do what-ever
you do, and then leave the system alone for a bit... say six minutes
while you contemplate the weather or something... then run the find
command with a '-mmin -5' which should pick up just the most recent
activity. If nothing obvious shows up, goof off for another few
minutes - the key here is at least a minute beyond the _second_ flash
of the drive activity light after you stop doing things on the system -
then try a -amin -5 (or however many minutes PLUS ONE since that last
flash of the drive light. You are running crond, and that will look at
the crontabs every minute to see if there is anything to do, but those
should be cached, and thus, no disk access. 'hald' (the Hardware
Abstraction Layer Daemon) is also going to be looking about, but I
don't think it should be hitting the disk.

Old guy

faeychild

Feb 13, 2009, 9:51:00 PM2/13/09
Moe Trin wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in
> article <gn261i$6m4$5...@news.motzarella.org>, faeychild wrote:
>
>>Moe Trin wrote:
>
>>> That's all in memory (/proc is kernel memory). Nothing happening on
>>> the disk. OH, Crappity-Crap! _My_ error - that should be

uptime
13:37:41 up 53 min, 1 user, load average: 0.12, 0.07, 0.05

-mmin-5 is a 2.5M file far to big to send

the drive flashes every two seconds, a hard bright flash, a decent write.

-mmin -3

dr-xr-xr-x 5 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/Intel -> card0
dr-xr-xr-x 5 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/oss_mixer
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/id
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm1p
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm1p/oss
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm1p/sub0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm1p/sub0/prealloc_max
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm1p/sub0/prealloc
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm1p/sub0/status
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm1p/sub0/sw_params
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm1p/sub0/hw_params
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm1p/sub0/info
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm1p/info
dr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/oss
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/sub1
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/sub1/prealloc_max
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/sub1/prealloc
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/sub1/status
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/sub1/sw_params
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/sub1/hw_params
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/sub1/info
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/sub0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/sub0/prealloc_max
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/sub0/prealloc
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/sub0/status
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/sub0/sw_params
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/sub0/hw_params
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/sub0/info
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/info
dr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub1
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub1/prealloc_max
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub1/prealloc
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub1/status
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub1/sw_params
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub1/hw_params
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub1/info
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/prealloc_max
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/prealloc
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/status
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/sw_params
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/info
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/info
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/hwdep
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/pcm
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/timers
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/modules
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/cards
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/devices
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/version
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/seq
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/seq/oss
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/seq/timer
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/seq/clients
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/seq/queues
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/seq/drivers
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/oss
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/oss/sndstat
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound/oss/devices
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/scsi
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/scsi/sg
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/scsi/sg/version
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/scsi/sg/device_strs
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/scsi/sg/devices
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/scsi/sg/device_hdr
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/scsi/sg/def_reserved_size
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/scsi/sg/debug
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/scsi/sg/allow_dio
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/scsi/device_info
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/scsi/scsi
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/crypto
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/key-users
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/keys
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/swaps
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/latency_stats
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 24739 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/config.gz
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/kallsyms
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/dma
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/timer_stats
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/timer_list
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/iomem
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/ioports
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/sched_debug
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/misc
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/thermal_zone
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/button
dr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/button/power
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/button/power/PWRB
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/button/power/PWRB/info
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/button/power/PWRF
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/button/power/PWRF/info
dr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/processor
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/processor/CPU2
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/processor/CPU2/power
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/processor/CPU2/limit
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/processor/CPU2/throttling
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/processor/CPU2/info
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/processor/CPU1
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/processor/CPU1/power
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/processor/CPU1/limit
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/processor/CPU1/throttling
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/processor/CPU1/info
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/wakeup
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/sleep
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/fixed_events
-r-------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/fadt
-r-------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/dsdt
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/info
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/power_resource
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/acpi/embedded_controller
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/fb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/mtrr
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/ccs
-r-------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/ccs/version
-r-------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/ccs/.updates_counter
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/ccs/manager
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/ccs/profile
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/ccs/meminfo
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/ccs/.process_status
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/ccs/.domain_status
-r-------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/ccs/self_domain
-r-------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/ccs/reject_log
-r-------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/ccs/grant_log
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/ccs/exception_policy
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/ccs/domain_policy
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/ccs/system_policy
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/ccs/query
dr-xr-xr-x 23 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/17
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/17/eth0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/17/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/17/smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 7 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/16
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/16/nvidia
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/16/HDA Intel
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/16/bt878
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/16/bttv0
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/16/uhci_hcd:usb5
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/16/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/16/smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/18
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/18/uhci_hcd:usb4
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/18/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/18/smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/19
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/19/ata_piix
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/19/uhci_hcd:usb3
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/19/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/19/smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/23
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/23/uhci_hcd:usb2
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/23/ehci_hcd:usb1
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/23/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/23/smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/15
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/15/ata_piix
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/15/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/15/smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/14
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/14/ata_piix
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/14/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/14/smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/13
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/13/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/13/smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/12
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/12/i8042
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/12/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/12/smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/11
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/11/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/11/smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/10
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/10/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/10/smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/9
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/9/acpi
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/9/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/9/smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/8
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/8/rtc0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/8/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/8/smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/7
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/7/parport0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/7/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/7/smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/6
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/6/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/6/smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/5
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/5/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/5/smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/4
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/4/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/4/smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/3
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/3/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/3/smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/2
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/2/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/2/smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/1
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/1/i8042
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/1/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/1/smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/0/spurious
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/0/smp_affinity
-rw------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq/default_smp_affinity
dr-xr-xr-x 6 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/04
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/04/01.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/04/01.0
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/02
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/02/00.0
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/01
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/01/00.0
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/00
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/00/1f.3
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/00/1f.2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/00/1f.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/00/1f.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/00/1e.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/00/1d.7
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/00/1d.3
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/00/1d.2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/00/1d.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/00/1d.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/00/1c.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/00/1c.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/00/1b.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/00/01.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/00/00.0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/pci/devices
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/input
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/input/handlers
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/bus/input/devices
dr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/tty
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/tty/drivers
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/tty/ldiscs
dr-x------ 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/tty/driver
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/tty/driver/serial
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/tty/ldisc
dr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/driver
dr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/driver/nvidia
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/driver/nvidia/registry
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/driver/nvidia/version
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/driver/nvidia/warnings
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/driver/nvidia/warnings/README
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/driver/nvidia/cards
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/driver/snd-page-alloc
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/driver/pktcdvd
dr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/fs
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/fs/nls
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/fs/nls/codepage
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/fs/nls/iocharset
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/fs/nfsd
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/sysvipc
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/sysvipc/shm
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/sysvipc/msg
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/sysvipc/sem
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/net -> self/net
--w------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/sysrq-trigger
-r-------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/vmcore
-r-------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/kpageflags
-r-------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/kpagecount
-r-------- 1 root root 939528192 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/kcore
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/schedstat
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/modules
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/diskstats
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/zoneinfo
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/vmstat
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/pagetypeinfo
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/buddyinfo
-r-------- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/vmallocinfo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/slabinfo
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/irq_stats
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/interrupts
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/stat
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/partitions
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/cpuinfo
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/devices
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/locks
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/mounts -> self/mounts
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/execdomains
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/cmdline
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/filesystems
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/version
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/meminfo
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/uptime
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/loadavg
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/ipt_recent
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/ipt_CLUSTERIP
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/ip6t_hashlimit
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/ipt_hashlimit
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/ip_conntrack_expect
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/ip_conntrack
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/nf_conntrack
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/nf_conntrack_expect
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/ip_tables_targets
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/ip_tables_matches
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/ip_tables_names
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/packet
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/tr_rif
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/unix
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/snmp
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/netstat
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/sockstat
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/udp
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/tcp
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/raw
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/ip_mr_cache
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/ip_mr_vif
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/udplite
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/mcfilter
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/igmp
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/rt_acct
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/rt_cache
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/route
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/arp
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/psched
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/dev_mcast
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/wireless
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/ptype
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/softnet_stat
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/dev
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/protocols
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/netlink
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/netfilter
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/netfilter/nf_log
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/netfilter/nf_queue
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/stat
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/stat/ip_conntrack
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/stat/nf_conntrack
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/stat/rt_cache
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/1/net/stat/arp_cache
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/ipt_recent
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/ipt_CLUSTERIP
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/ip6t_hashlimit
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/ipt_hashlimit
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/ip_conntrack_expect
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/ip_conntrack
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/nf_conntrack
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/nf_conntrack_expect
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/ip_tables_targets
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/ip_tables_matches
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/ip_tables_names
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/packet
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/tr_rif
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/unix
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/snmp
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/netstat
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/sockstat
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/udp
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/tcp
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/raw
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/ip_mr_cache
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/ip_mr_vif
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/udplite
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/mcfilter
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/igmp
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/rt_acct
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/rt_cache
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/route
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/arp
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/psched
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/dev_mcast
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/wireless
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/ptype
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/softnet_stat
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/dev
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/protocols
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/netlink
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/netfilter
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/netfilter/nf_log
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/netfilter/nf_queue
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/stat
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/stat/ip_conntrack
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/stat/nf_conntrack
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/stat/rt_cache
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/2/net/stat/arp_cache
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/ipt_recent
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/ipt_CLUSTERIP
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/ip6t_hashlimit
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/ipt_hashlimit
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/ip_conntrack_expect
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/ip_conntrack
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/nf_conntrack
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/nf_conntrack_expect
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/ip_tables_targets
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/ip_tables_matches
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/ip_tables_names
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/packet
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/tr_rif
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/unix
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/snmp
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/netstat
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/sockstat
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/udp
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/tcp
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/raw
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/ip_mr_cache
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/ip_mr_vif
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/udplite
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/mcfilter
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/igmp
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/rt_acct
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/rt_cache
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/route
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/arp
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/psched
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/dev_mcast
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/wireless
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/ptype
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/softnet_stat
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/dev
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/protocols
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/netlink
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/netfilter
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/netfilter/nf_log
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/netfilter/nf_queue
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/stat
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/stat/ip_conntrack
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/stat/nf_conntrack
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/stat/rt_cache
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/3/net/stat/arp_cache
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/4/net/ipt_recent
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/4/net/ipt_CLUSTERIP
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/4/net/ip6t_hashlimit
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/4/net/ipt_hashlimit
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/4/net/ip_conntrack_expect
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/4/net/ip_conntrack
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/4/net/nf_conntrack
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/4/net/nf_conntrack_expect
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/4/net/ip_tables_targets
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/4/net/ip_tables_matches
-r--r----- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/4/net/ip_tables_names
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/4/net/packet
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/4/net/tr_rif
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/4/net/unix
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/4/net/snmp
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/4/net/netstat
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/4/net/sockstat
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/4/net/udp
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/4/net/tcp
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/4/net/raw

still a big file, Moe.

Have a nice day :-). a cold beer will help.

--
faeychild

David W. Hodgins

Feb 13, 2009, 11:56:20 PM2/13/09
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 21:51:00 -0500, faeychild <pho...@deimos.com> wrote:

> -mmin -3
> dr-xr-xr-x 5 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound

You should exclude anything that is not on disk. Try ...
find / -mmin -3 |grep -v -e "/proc" -e "/sys" -e "/dev"

Moe Trin

Feb 14, 2009, 2:53:54 PM2/14/09
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
<gn5c9d$bm7$2...@news.motzarella.org>, faeychild wrote:

> uptime
> 13:37:41 up 53 min, 1 user, load average: 0.12, 0.07, 0.05

That's fairly active - what does 'top' show?

>-mmin-5 is a 2.5M file far to big to send

Yes, but what you are showing is all /proc/ which is the kernel
memory - /proc isn't on disk - nor is /sys.

find `ls -d /* | grep -v /proc | grep -v /sys` -mmin 5 -exec ls -ld {} \;

>the drive flashes every two seconds, a hard bright flash, a decent write.

So things _ought_ to show up.

>dr-xr-xr-x 5 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound

Now this is about 2 minutes before you showed the 'uptime' output.
Were you actually using the system then? I'd like to see no other
user activity other than actually running the 'find' command if
possible.

>-r-------- 1 root root 939528192 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/kcore

There's a clue that /proc isn't your disk. You've got about a Gig of
RAM on this system, _and_ your CPU is using it! ;-)

Old guy

faeychild

Feb 14, 2009, 5:23:27 PM2/14/09
David W. Hodgins wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 21:51:00 -0500, faeychild <pho...@deimos.com> wrote:
>

>> -mmin -3
>> dr-xr-xr-x 5 root root 0 2009-02-14 13:35 /proc/asound
>
> You should exclude anything that is not on disk. Try ...
> find / -mmin -3 |grep -v -e "/proc" -e "/sys" -e "/dev"

/home/nykysle
/home/nykysle/.xsession-errors
/home/nykysle/nodisk.log
/var/run/sudo/nykysle
/var/tmp/kdecache-nykysle/kpc
/var/tmp/kdecache-nykysle/kpc/kde-icon-cache.updated
/var/tmp/kdecache-nykysle/kpc/kde-icon-cache.index
/var/log/auth.log
/var/log/sudo.log
/var/log/messages

faeychild

Feb 14, 2009, 5:50:30 PM2/14/09
Moe Trin wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in
> article <gn5c9d$bm7$2...@news.motzarella.org>, faeychild wrote:
>
>> uptime
>> 13:37:41 up 53 min, 1 user, load average: 0.12, 0.07, 0.05
>
> That's fairly active - what does 'top' show?

X, kwin, init, kthread, konsole, preload, plasma - order alters as you know.

>>-mmin-5 is a 2.5M file far to big to send
>
> Yes, but what you are showing is all /proc/ which is the kernel
> memory - /proc isn't on disk - nor is /sys.

Yes a great deal of proc activity.

> find `ls -d /* | grep -v /proc | grep -v /sys` -mmin 5 -exec ls -ld {} \;

With nothing running except konsole and the desktop

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-02-15 09:25 /var/lib/preload
-rw-rw---- 1 root root 651781 2009-02-15 09:25 /var/lib/preload/preload.state
drwxr-xr-x 2 ntp ntp 4096 2009-02-15 09:25 /var/lib/ntp
-rw-r--r-- 1 ntp ntp 8 2009-02-15 09:25 /var/lib/ntp/drift

that's a bit more interesting. I turned preload and ntpd services off.

Now I get this

crw-rw-rw- 1 root tty 5, 0 2009-02-15 09:41 /dev/tty
-rw------- 1 nykysle nykysle 237 2009-02-15 09:41 /home/nykysle/.kde4/share/config/konsolerc

The light still flashes

--
faeychild

Moe Trin

Feb 15, 2009, 7:40:05 PM2/15/09
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
<gn7hsr$1n4$3...@news.motzarella.org>, faeychild wrote:

Moe Trin wrote:

>> That's fairly active - what does 'top' show?

>X, kwin, init, kthread, konsole, preload, plasma - order alters as you
>know.

"The most amazing achievement of the computer software industry is its
continuing cancellation of the steady and staggering gains made by the
computer hardware industry..." -- Henry Petroski

>> Yes, but what you are showing is all /proc/ which is the kernel
>> memory - /proc isn't on disk - nor is /sys.
>
>Yes a great deal of proc activity.

Which says a lot of computer activity, but not necessarily disk
activity.

>With nothing running except konsole and the desktop
>
>drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-02-15 09:25 /var/lib/preload
>-rw-rw---- 1 root root 651781 2009-02-15 09:25
/var/lib/preload/preload.state
>drwxr-xr-x 2 ntp ntp 4096 2009-02-15 09:25 /var/lib/ntp
>-rw-r--r-- 1 ntp ntp 8 2009-02-15 09:25 /var/lib/ntp/drift
>
>that's a bit more interesting. I turned preload and ntpd services
>off.

I'm not sure that NTP should be _that_ big of a problem. On the
systems I have that are running it, activity seems to be ~hourly.

>Now I get this
>
>crw-rw-rw- 1 root tty 5, 0 2009-02-15 09:41 /dev/tty
>-rw------- 1 nykysle nykysle 237 2009-02-15 09:41
> /home/nykysle/.kde4/share/config/konsolerc

Is that all?

>The light still flashes

Let's try

find `ls -d /* | grep -v /proc | grep -v /sys` -amin 5 -exec ls -ld {} \;

find `ls -d /* | grep -v /proc | grep -v /sys` -cmin 5 -exec ls -ld {} \;

OK - review time:

1. HD activity light flashing every few seconds.
2. You have 3 partitions plus swap mounted.
3. Turning off swap has no effect.
4. Run-level 3 vs 5 makes no real change.
5. Run-level 1 stops flashing.

Point 3 says it's not the system popping stuff off to swap, which would
otherwise be a difficult thing to troubleshoot.

Point 4 suggests it's not desktop related (that's assuming you merely
booted or changed run-level, logged in, but didn't 'startx' or 'runx'
to start the desktop). As you are probably aware, the modern desktop
often takes as much CPU time as all of the basic kernel functions
combined, never mind all of the eye-candy functions added to emulate
some version of windoze.

Hmmm.... if you merely boot, and DON'T log in, do you get that disk
activity?

Point 5 - what does 'ls /etc/rc.d/rc1.d' and '/etc/rc.d/rc3.d' show?
Normally, in run-level 1, there is virtually nothing running - in my
systems, it's S00single, S01kerneld and S20random, while run-level 3
has 14 S* links.

Run-level 2 may or may not be configured usefully. It's normally the
same as run-level 3 except lacks networking services (xinetd, portmap,
and perhaps nfsfs). But another really long shot is to look at
network activity - '/bin/netstat -anptu | grep -v 127.0.0' will
probably show some services listening (completely side question, are
you happy with what is running?), but there probably shouldn't be any
"Established" links.

Old guy

David W. Hodgins

Feb 15, 2009, 7:42:30 PM2/15/09
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 17:50:30 -0500, faeychild <pho...@deimos.com> wrote:

> With nothing running except konsole and the desktop
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-02-15 09:25 /var/lib/preload
> -rw-rw---- 1 root root 651781 2009-02-15 09:25 /var/lib/preload/preload.state
> drwxr-xr-x 2 ntp ntp 4096 2009-02-15 09:25 /var/lib/ntp
> -rw-r--r-- 1 ntp ntp 8 2009-02-15 09:25 /var/lib/ntp/drift
> that's a bit more interesting. I turned preload and ntpd services off.
> Now I get this
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root tty 5, 0 2009-02-15 09:41 /dev/tty
> -rw------- 1 nykysle nykysle 237 2009-02-15 09:41 /home/nykysle/.kde4/share/config/konsolerc
> The light still flashes

So it isn't something being written, it's just something being read.

Is sysstat running?
cat /etc/cron.hourly/sysstat
#!/bin/sh

# snapshot system usage every 10 minutes six times.
/usr/lib/sa/sa1 600 6 &

If it is, try removing it with "urpme sysstat"

Try running kcontrol, select kde components/service manager. Stop all optional services.
Remove any applets from the kicker panel, such as kweather, ksysguard, clock etc.
Keep track of what you remove :)

See if the light is still flashing.

faeychild

Feb 16, 2009, 10:18:07 PM2/16/09
Moe Trin wrote:

> "The most amazing achievement of the computer software industry is its
> continuing cancellation of the steady and staggering gains made by the
> computer hardware industry..." -- Henry Petroski

Isn't that true though.

Your itemizing has inspired me to reassess my observations a little more rigorously. I should have up front but I assumed this would be a simple easy problem. When will I learn?

OK!

There are two cycles of HD flash.
One every 2 seconds, cycle-2
One every "approx" 14 seconds, cycle-14

cycle-14 is not as annoying as cycle-2
And probably concurrent, with cycle-2 masking cycle-14.

I am configured to log my user straight to the desktop.
I get a constant cycle-2 with the desktop running.

If I log out of the desktop < Cntrl + Alt + Bkspace >
cycle-2 stops and cycle 14 continues.

Switch to VT1.

Logging on in levels 543 produces 15 iterations of cycle-2.
Any CL or keyboard activity only while logged on in levels 543 produces 15 iterations of cycle-2.
Originally I failed to wait long enough to determine if cycle-2 "timed out", it does.
Cycle-14 continues whether logged or not.

Levels 2 and 1 have no cycle-2 or cycle-14 when logged or not.
Except that you can't exit level 1.

Cycle-2 is continuous only when logged onto the desktop.

chkconfig.

acpid 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
alsa 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
anacron 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
atd 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
avahi-daemon 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off
crond 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
dm 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:on 6:off
haldaemon 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
hddtemp 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
ip6tables 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
iptables 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
keytable 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
kheader 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:off 5:on 6:off
lm_sensors 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
mandi 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
messagebus 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
netconsole 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off
netfs 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:on 4:on 5:off 6:off
network 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
network-auth 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off
network-up 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
ntpd 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:off 6:off
numlock 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
partmon 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
preload 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off
resolvconf 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
shorewall 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
sound 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
syslog 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
udev-post 0:off 1:on 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off

> Let's try
>
> find `ls -d /* | grep -v /proc | grep -v /sys` -amin 5 -exec ls -ld {} \;

> find `ls -d /* | grep -v /proc | grep -v /sys` -cmin 5 -exec ls -ld {} \;

In the light of updated observations I decides against sending these find results.
I can if you wish.

> OK - review time:
>
> 1. HD activity light flashing every few seconds.
> 2. You have 3 partitions plus swap mounted.
> 3. Turning off swap has no effect.
> 4. Run-level 3 vs 5 makes no real change.
> 5. Run-level 1 stops flashing.

Pretty much, Yes. Except that I now know that the cycle-2 flash is not continuous on a VT with X not running or desktop logged off

> Point 3 says it's not the system popping stuff off to swap, which would
> otherwise be a difficult thing to troubleshoot.
>
> Point 4 suggests it's not desktop related (that's assuming you merely
> booted or changed run-level, logged in, but didn't 'startx' or 'runx'
> to start the desktop).

Further observations may have indicated that it is.

> Hmmm.... if you merely boot, and DON'T log in, do you get that disk
> activity?

No Although this is determined in reverse by booting and logging out.

> Point 5 - what does 'ls /etc/rc.d/rc1.d'

ll /etc/rc.d/rc1.d
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-02-15 09:45 K00hddtemp -> ../init.d/hddtemp*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2009-02-15 09:45 K00netconsole -> ../init.d/netconsole*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 2009-02-15 09:45 K00netfs -> ../init.d/netfs*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2009-02-15 09:45 K00ntpd -> ../init.d/ntpd*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-02-15 09:45 K00preload -> ../init.d/preload*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2009-02-15 09:45 K05keytable -> ../init.d/keytable*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 2009-02-15 09:45 K09dm -> ../init.d/dm*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-02-05 19:28 K15numlock -> ../init.d/numlock*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-02-05 19:15 K20kheader -> ../init.d/kheader*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-02-05 19:08 K20partmon -> ../init.d/partmon*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2009-02-15 09:45 K48haldaemon -> ../init.d/haldaemon*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 2009-02-15 09:45 K48mandi -> ../init.d/mandi*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 2009-02-15 09:45 K49crond -> ../init.d/crond*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2009-02-15 09:45 K49messagebus -> ../init.d/messagebus*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2009-02-15 09:45 K50network-up -> ../init.d/network-up*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2009-02-15 09:45 K50resolvconf -> ../init.d/resolvconf*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 2009-02-15 09:45 K50syslog -> ../init.d/syslog*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 2009-02-05 19:23 K56acpid -> ../init.d/acpid*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 2009-02-05 19:12 K60atd -> ../init.d/atd*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 2009-02-05 19:15 K69sound -> ../init.d/sound*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2009-02-05 19:08 K70alsa -> ../init.d/alsa*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2009-02-08 09:44 K74lm_sensors -> ../init.d/lm_sensors*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-02-05 19:15 K90network -> ../init.d/network*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2009-02-15 09:45 K90shorewall -> ../init.d/shorewall*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-02-05 19:14 K92anacron -> ../init.d/anacron*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2009-02-05 19:21 K92ip6tables -> ../init.d/ip6tables*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2009-02-05 19:21 K92iptables -> ../init.d/iptables*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2009-02-05 19:08 S26udev-post -> ../init.d/udev-post*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 2009-02-06 02:40 S99single -> ../init.d/single*
> and '/etc/rc.d/rc3.d' show?

ll /etc/rc.d/rc3.d
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2009-02-15 09:45 K00netconsole -> ../init.d/netconsole*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-02-15 09:45 K00preload -> ../init.d/preload*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 2009-02-15 09:45 K09dm -> ../init.d/dm*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2009-02-05 19:21 S03ip6tables -> ../init.d/ip6tables*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2009-02-05 19:21 S03iptables -> ../init.d/iptables*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-02-05 19:15 S10network -> ../init.d/network*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-02-05 19:08 S13partmon -> ../init.d/partmon*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 2009-02-05 19:23 S14acpid -> ../init.d/acpid*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2009-02-05 19:08 S17alsa -> ../init.d/alsa*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 2009-02-05 19:15 S18sound -> ../init.d/sound*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2009-02-08 09:44 S26lm_sensors -> ../init.d/lm_sensors*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2009-02-05 19:08 S26udev-post -> ../init.d/udev-post*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-02-05 19:28 S29numlock -> ../init.d/numlock*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 2009-02-05 19:12 S40atd -> ../init.d/atd*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2009-02-15 09:45 S50network-up -> ../init.d/network-up*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2009-02-15 09:45 S50resolvconf -> ../init.d/resolvconf*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 2009-02-15 09:45 S50syslog -> ../init.d/syslog*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 2009-02-15 09:45 S51netfs -> ../init.d/netfs*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2009-02-15 09:45 S51shorewall -> ../init.d/shorewall*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2009-02-15 09:45 S52keytable -> ../init.d/keytable*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2009-02-15 09:45 S53messagebus -> ../init.d/messagebus*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2009-02-15 09:45 S54haldaemon -> ../init.d/haldaemon*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 2009-02-15 09:45 S54mandi -> ../init.d/mandi*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2009-02-15 09:45 S56ntpd -> ../init.d/ntpd*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 2009-02-15 09:45 S90crond -> ../init.d/crond*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-02-15 09:45 S90hddtemp -> ../init.d/hddtemp*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-02-05 19:14 S95anacron -> ../init.d/anacron*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-02-05 19:15 S95kheader -> ../init.d/kheader*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 2009-02-06 02:40 S99local -> ../rc.local*

> Normally, in run-level 1, there is virtually nothing running - in my
> systems, it's S00single, S01kerneld and S20random, while run-level 3
> has 14 S* links.

Not even that; see chkconfig above

> Run-level 2 may or may not be configured usefully. It's normally the
> same as run-level 3 except lacks networking services (xinetd, portmap,
> and perhaps nfsfs). But another really long shot is to look at
> network activity - '/bin/netstat -anptu | grep -v 127.0.0' will

sudo /bin/netstat -anptu | grep -v 127.0.0
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:6000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 13155/X
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:68 0.0.0.0:* 12073/dhclient

--
faeychild

Moe Trin

Feb 17, 2009, 9:10:24 PM2/17/09
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
<gndaan$5g6$2...@reader.motzarella.org>, faeychild wrote:

>Moe Trin wrote:

>> "The most amazing achievement of the computer software industry is
>> its continuing cancellation of the steady and staggering gains made
>> by the computer hardware industry..." -- Henry Petroski

>Isn't that true though.

Prof. Petroski is an American civil engineering professor at Duke
University where he specializes in failure analysis. Another quote
often cited is that of Bob Metcalfe, one of the inventors of the
Ethernet, at a lecture at the University of Virginia in 1996:

"Grove giveth and Gates taketh away."

"Grove" is Andy Grove, then president of Intel.

>Your itemizing has inspired me to reassess my observations a little
>more rigorously. I should have up front but I assumed this would be a
>simple easy problem. When will I learn?

Of course it's a simple problem. We're just to simple to understand it
so far.

>There are two cycles of HD flash.
>One every 2 seconds, cycle-2
>One every "approx" 14 seconds, cycle-14

Neither of which is native to the O/S. OK

>cycle-14 is not as annoying as cycle-2
>And probably concurrent, with cycle-2 masking cycle-14.

Still would be nice to identify both.

>I am configured to log my user straight to the desktop.
>I get a constant cycle-2 with the desktop running.
>
>If I log out of the desktop < Cntrl + Alt + Bkspace >
>cycle-2 stops and cycle 14 continues.

OK - cycle-2 is something your user is causing. Cycle-14 could be
an application started out of those boot scripts.

>Switch to VT1.
>
>Logging on in levels 543 produces 15 iterations of cycle-2.

When you log in, are you starting X or are you at a command prompt?
If the latter, I would assume you are running a bash shell, and there
are a few scripts that run _on_login_ as well as scripts run when you
invoke a bash shell. You can find this in the INVOCATION section of
the bash man page. Briefly,

login --> /etc/profile -> [ ~/.bash_profile else ~/.bash_login
else ~/.profile ]

start a shell -> ~/.bashrc

HOWEVER, your distribution may ``improve'' things by running
additional scripts, generally from some command in one of these
scripts (such as " . /etc/whoopie-do/start.stuff" - the dot is
a command that says "run the commands in this file as if they were
included here").

If you log in to a GUI desktop, we have to look at page two, because
things are done differently. There, login invokes a a different series
of scripts, usually .xinitrc, or .xsession in your home directory or
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d or similar. Standards are wonderful, everyone
should have one of their very own. Again, your distribution may
``improve'' things further, but running additional scripts. The
desktop itself is usually configured to start even more stuff.

By the way, how are you changing run-levels?

>Any CL or keyboard activity only while logged on in levels 543
>produces 15 iterations of cycle-2. Originally I failed to wait
>long enough to determine if cycle-2 "timed out", it does.

"Any CL or keyboard activity" - remember, I'm a command line dinosaur
and while I run X, that's to give me

[compton ~]$ who | wc -l
20
[compton ~]$ users | wc -w
20
[compton ~]$

twenty terminals to type commands. Assume you have a place where you
can type commands. Wait a half minute for cycle-2 to stop, and then
type the command.... 'ibuprofin' - which your shell is probably going
to say "Huh???" First thing: as you type this "command", but before
you hit 'Enter' - does _that_ cause the cycle-2? If not, press
the 'Enter' key and get the

[compton ~]$ ibuprofin
bash: ibuprofin: command not found
[compton ~]$

result. Does_that_ cause the cycle-2? Or do you have to type a valid
command like... 'date' to get it started?

>Cycle-14 continues whether logged or not.

But is X running? ('ps aux' will show this)

>Levels 2 and 1 have no cycle-2 or cycle-14 when logged or not.

Something for the user. What?

>Except that you can't exit level 1.

Depends how you got there. If you used '/sbin/telinit 1' or gave a
parameter to the boot loader to override /etc/inittab, 'logout' or a
Ctrl+D should cause a reboot. Otherwise, it may need /sbin/halt,
/sbin/reboot, or /sbin/shutdown with the appropriate parameters.

>chkconfig.

The only thing I recognize as possible might be keytable, but that's
a stretch.

>> Let's try
>>
>> find `ls -d /* | grep -v /proc | grep -v /sys` -amin 5 -exec ls -ld {} \;
>>
>> find `ls -d /* | grep -v /proc | grep -v /sys` -cmin 5 -exec ls -ld {} \;
>>
>In the light of updated observations I decides against sending these
>find results. I can if you wish.

Let's see if David can come up with further suggestions.

>> Hmmm.... if you merely boot, and DON'T log in, do you get that disk
>> activity?

>No Although this is determined in reverse by booting and logging out.

I believe that would be a valid determination. Us dinosaurs don't do
auto-login, so I'm guessing here. ;-)

Old guy

faeychild

Feb 18, 2009, 7:50:52 AM2/18/09
Moe Trin wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in
> article <gndaan$5g6$2...@reader.motzarella.org>, faeychild wrote:

> Prof. Petroski is an American civil engineering professor at Duke
> University where he specializes in failure analysis. Another quote
> often cited is that of Bob Metcalfe, one of the inventors of the
> Ethernet, at a lecture at the University of Virginia in 1996:
>
> "Grove giveth and Gates taketh away."

Mr Gates will have Karma to contend with.

>>cycle-14 is not as annoying as cycle-2
>>And probably concurrent, with cycle-2 masking cycle-14.
>
> Still would be nice to identify both.

I don't want to push my luck particularly.
I am having trouble responding due to a new bug in knode which causes it to have difficulty connecting to the news server.

>>I am configured to log my user straight to the desktop.
>>I get a constant cycle-2 with the desktop running.
>>
>>If I log out of the desktop < Cntrl + Alt + Bkspace >
>>cycle-2 stops and cycle 14 continues.
>
> OK - cycle-2 is something your user is causing. Cycle-14 could be
> an application started out of those boot scripts.
>
>>Switch to VT1.
>>
>>Logging on in levels 543 produces 15 iterations of cycle-2.
>
> When you log in, are you starting X or are you at a command prompt?
> If the latter, I would assume you are running a bash shell, and there
> are a few scripts that run _on_login_ as well as scripts run when you
> invoke a bash shell. You can find this in the INVOCATION section of
> the bash man page. Briefly,

I automatically log in to the GUI KDE.
When I switch to a virtual terminal <Ctrl + Alt + F1> I am at runlevel 5. The level which supports X.
If I switch runlevels from level 5, X is stopped. Not that you would be aware of that unless you switch back to VT 7 ,where X runs, and find it blank

Yes the terminal runs bash.

> login --> /etc/profile -> [ ~/.bash_profile else ~/.bash_login
> else ~/.profile ]
>
> start a shell -> ~/.bashrc

I will have a look at these tomorrow. It is currently 2300 and not the time to be stumbling through scripts

> HOWEVER, your distribution may ``improve'' things by running
> additional scripts, generally from some command in one of these
> scripts (such as " . /etc/whoopie-do/start.stuff" - the dot is
> a command that says "run the commands in this file as if they were
> included here").

Disto is Mandriva 2009

> If you log in to a GUI desktop, we have to look at page two, because
> things are done differently. There, login invokes a a different series
> of scripts, usually .xinitrc, or .xsession in your home directory or
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d or similar. Standards are wonderful, everyone
> should have one of their very own. Again, your distribution may
> ``improve'' things further, but running additional scripts. The
> desktop itself is usually configured to start even more stuff.

"improvement" could complicate things

> By the way, how are you changing run-levels?

telinit x

>>Any CL or keyboard activity only while logged on in levels 543
>>produces 15 iterations of cycle-2. Originally I failed to wait
>>long enough to determine if cycle-2 "timed out", it does.
>
> "Any CL or keyboard activity" - remember, I'm a command line dinosaur
> and while I run X, that's to give me
>
> [compton ~]$ who | wc -l
> 20
> [compton ~]$ users | wc -w
> 20
> [compton ~]$

You are busy

> twenty terminals to type commands. Assume you have a place where you
> can type commands.

Yes the virtual terminal is a full screen text input command line terminal, not graphic not GUI.

> Wait a half minute for cycle-2 to stop, and then
> type the command.... 'ibuprofin' - which your shell is probably going
> to say "Huh???" First thing: as you type this "command", but before
> you hit 'Enter' - does _that_ cause the cycle-2? If not, press
> the 'Enter' key and get the

Typing without hitting enter - any key input will cause the cycle-2

> [compton ~]$ ibuprofin
> bash: ibuprofin: command not found
> [compton ~]$
>
> result. Does_that_ cause the cycle-2?

Yes

> Or do you have to type a valid
> command like... 'date' to get it started?

anything typed valid or not will cause the cycle.
Each individual key input re-triggers it.
And if you wait for it to stop before hitting enter, then hitting enter causes the cycle again regardless of how the terminal responds.

>>Cycle-14 continues whether logged or not.
>
> But is X running? ('ps aux' will show this)

Only in run level 5. But I am switched away from X in a virtual terminal.

>>Levels 2 and 1 have no cycle-2 or cycle-14 when logged or not.
>
> Something for the user. What?
>
>>Except that you can't exit level 1.
>
> Depends how you got there. If you used '/sbin/telinit 1'

that's how I get there.

> or gave a
> parameter to the boot loader to override /etc/inittab, 'logout' or a
> Ctrl+D should cause a reboot.

I haven't tried Ctrl + D. I typed exit.

> Otherwise, it may need /sbin/halt,
> /sbin/reboot, or /sbin/shutdown with the appropriate parameters.

If you exit level 1 the system resets to runlevel5 and starts X and switches to the desktop. It was surprised the first time I exited the terminal in level one. I though I would just get the log prompt, instead I got switched to the GUI up and running again.

Some of the "improve" no doubt. Oh Dear

>>chkconfig.
>
> The only thing I recognize as possible might be keytable, but that's
> a stretch.

Or something that takes key inputs and accesses the drive. But runs continuously under the GUI

>>> Hmmm.... if you merely boot, and DON'T log in, do you get that disk
>>> activity?
>
>>No Although this is determined in reverse by booting and logging out.
>
> I believe that would be a valid determination. Us dinosaurs don't do
> auto-login, so I'm guessing here. ;-)
>
> Old guy

Will knode send???

--
faeychild

Moe Trin

Feb 18, 2009, 8:01:32 PM2/18/09
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
<gnh0bl$hh2$2...@reader.motzarella.org>, faeychild wrote:

>Moe Trin wrote:

>> faeychild wrote:

>>> cycle-14 is not as annoying as cycle-2
>>> And probably concurrent, with cycle-2 masking cycle-14.

>> Still would be nice to identify both.

>I don't want to push my luck particularly.

It shouldn't be luck. Computers do things because they are told to do
so. The problem is often trying to figure out _where_ they were told
to do $BIZARRE_BEHAVIOR, because that can be in some really unexpected
or unknown location.

>I am having trouble responding due to a new bug in knode which causes
>it to have difficulty connecting to the news server.

Obviously you managed to do so.

>I automatically log in to the GUI KDE.
>When I switch to a virtual terminal <Ctrl + Alt + F1> I am at runlevel
>5. The level which supports X. If I switch runlevels from level 5, X
>is stopped. Not that you would be aware of that unless you switch
>back to VT 7 ,where X runs, and find it blank

You'd know that X is running by looking at the process table as well.

>I will have a look at these tomorrow. It is currently 2300 and not the
>time to be stumbling through scripts

Agreed.

>> HOWEVER, your distribution may ``improve'' things by running
>> additional scripts, generally from some command in one of these
>> scripts (such as " . /etc/whoopie-do/start.stuff" - the dot is
>> a command that says "run the commands in this file as if they were
>> included here").

>Disto is Mandriva 2009

Understood - that's why I'm glad that David is following this thread,
as he uses that distribution, and has spent some time exploring the
dusty corridors.

>> Again, your distribution may ``improve'' things further, but
>> running additional scripts. The desktop itself is usually
>> configured to start even more stuff.
>
>"improvement" could complicate things

Ah, yes - it's part of the grand scheme of 'choice'. Unfortunately
for the support troops, this leads to the discovery that each
distribution, desktop, and administrator knows the "only" correct
way to do things - and everyone's definition of "correct" varies
all over the lot.

>> By the way, how are you changing run-levels?
>
>telinit x

Excellent!

>> "Any CL or keyboard activity" - remember, I'm a command line
>> dinosaur and while I run X, that's to give me
>>
>> [compton ~]$ who | wc -l
>> 20
>> [compton ~]$ users | wc -w
>> 20
>> [compton ~]$

>You are busy

Yes and no - in any one hour period, I usually use less than half of
those terminals, although a few of them may be doing something that
could be run in the background.

>> Assume you have a place where you can type commands.

>Yes the virtual terminal is a full screen text input command line
>terminal, not graphic not GUI.

Good

>> Wait a half minute for cycle-2 to stop, and then
>> type the command.... 'ibuprofin' - which your shell is probably going
>> to say "Huh???" First thing: as you type this "command", but before
>> you hit 'Enter' - does _that_ cause the cycle-2?

>Typing without hitting enter - any key input will cause the cycle-2

OK - stop right there. This is a bash thing, but what? All I can
think of is a LOCALE or a keyboard translation function. It _might_
be a term-cap function, but I think that's pushing it. Basically, it
may be an environment thing.

Look at /etc/passwd, and see if you have another user account,
preferably one that is unconfigured. An example is

nobody:*:99:99:Nobody:/:

User 'nobody' is commonly found on UNIX systems, and is used for
"unprivileged" tasks - such as running the application that creates
the 'locate' and 'whatis' databases. Notice that the second (colon
delimited) field is a '*' - that's the hashed password, and a star
means there is nothing that can hash to that value, so any password
to try will fail. How do you log in at 'nobody'? You can't, BUT, you
can use 'su' to become that user - but only if you are doing so from
the root account. Here, the last field is empty, rather than listing
some shell, so that means to use /bin/sh (/bin/bash but sourcing only
/etc/profile and ~/.profile). Why am I talking about this? Well,
let's see if user 'nobody' causes the same 'cycle-2'.

[compton ~]$ set | wc
[compton ~]$ alias | wc
2 7 48
[compton ~]$ su -
Password:
[compton ~]# set | wc
[compton ~]# alias | wc
1 3 25
[compton ~]# su - nobody
[compton /]$ set | wc
[compton /]$ alias | wc
0 0 0
[compton /]$

Now at _this point, let's wait out the 'cycle-2' and see if it occurs
with this user. IF IT DOES, then this is a "global" function, which
has to be set with the /etc/profile configuration file and anything
it may call. User nobody has no home directory, and thus defaults
to / - but there are no 'dot-files' there. So this user is missing
the personalized tweaks that a distribution may include. So, what
do we find here? If you are /bin/sh rather than /bin/bash AND
you don't get cycle-2, let's try running the command '/bin/bash'
as user 'nobody' to start a bash shell - does THAT cause it?

NOTES: 1. 'su -' tells su to act as if this were a login, and sets
the environment to that of the user you are becoming. Without the dash,
you would retain your old settings (here as user 'ibuprofin').
2. The 'set' command displays the environmental variables. As
you can see when I pipe it to a counter, the environment is different
for each user.
3. The 'alias' command shows what command aliases are set.
Again, I'm only counting them here, but they're set differently for
each user.
4. To get back to "normal", you exit the 'su' either by
using the 'logout' command, or pressing the Ctrl and D keys at the
same time. Don't be surprised if when you do this, the screen gets
cleared, especially from the root account, as the '.bash_logout' file
in the home directories (which is run when you log out) often contains
the 'clear' command.

>> Otherwise, it may need /sbin/halt, /sbin/reboot, or /sbin/shutdown
>> with the appropriate parameters.
>
>If you exit level 1 the system resets to runlevel5 and starts X and
>switches to the desktop. It was surprised the first time I exited
>the terminal in level one. I though I would just get the log prompt,
>instead I got switched to the GUI up and running again.

Some distributions/systems are set up to ask for the root password
when you try to start run-level 1 as a security measure. In any
case, when you log out, what would you expect the system to do next?
Restart level 1? Go to some other level? Traditionally in a
SystemV init scheme, when you exit level 1, the system reboots to the
run-level set in /etc/inittab in the 'id:' variable. There is another
init scheme called 'BSD', which essentially has four modes: halt,
which equates to 'zero' in a SysV scheme; 'single', which equates to
level 1; 'multi' which is the "normal multi-user" mode; and 'reboot'
which equate to level 6. When a BSD style init is used, the system
runs the single user mode script[s], and then continues on and runs
the multi-user mode script[s]. Exiting single user mode on a BSD style
system normally _continues_ the boot process to multi-user mode.
There are/were several Linux distributions that used this scheme, but
it's not very common. Like I said - "aren't standards wonderful?"

>Some of the "improve" no doubt. Oh Dear

Variety: It makes the world go round (or something) ;-)

[chkconfig.]

>> The only thing I recognize as possible might be keytable, but that's
>> a stretch.

>Or something that takes key inputs and accesses the drive. But runs
>continuously under the GUI

Which is why I was thinking 'keytable' - it's often used to translate
the output of the keyboard (different "national" keyboard layouts),
but that's normally a 'read-once, stick into memory' function.

Old guy

David W. Hodgins

Feb 19, 2009, 11:07:38 AM2/19/09
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:50:52 -0500, faeychild <pho...@deimos.com> wrote:

> Or something that takes key inputs and accesses the drive. But runs continuously under the GUI

There are so many things started by /usr/share/autostart, not to mention hal/udev, it's
hard to track down.

To get a complete list of what is being accessed, ensure you have atime in the mount
options, and use the find command with -atime, similar to what you did with mmin,
(again excluding things not on disk like /proc, /sys, /dev).

faeychild

Feb 19, 2009, 5:50:52 PM2/19/09
Moe Trin wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in
> article <gnh0bl$hh2$2...@reader.motzarella.org>, faeychild wrote:

>>I am having trouble responding due to a new bug in knode which causes
>>it to have difficulty connecting to the news server.
>
> Obviously you managed to do so.

But requires multiple "polls" after each error message to 'beak through'

>>I automatically log in to the GUI KDE.
>>When I switch to a virtual terminal <Ctrl + Alt + F1> I am at runlevel
>>5. The level which supports X. If I switch runlevels from level 5, X
>>is stopped. Not that you would be aware of that unless you switch
>>back to VT 7 ,where X runs, and find it blank
>
> You'd know that X is running by looking at the process table as well.

That one slipped my mind, what's left of it

>>I will have a look at these tomorrow. It is currently 2300 and not the
>>time to be stumbling through scripts
>
> Agreed.

I am a bit behind here. We had a small medical emergency in the family.

> OK - stop right there. This is a bash thing, but what? All I can
> think of is a LOCALE or a keyboard translation function. It _might_
> be a term-cap function, but I think that's pushing it. Basically, it
> may be an environment thing.
>
> Look at /etc/passwd, and see if you have another user account,
> preferably one that is unconfigured. An example is

cat /etc/passwd | grep nobody
nobody:x:65534:65534:Nobody:/:/bin/sh

Indeed we have nobody.

> nobody:*:99:99:Nobody:/:
>
> User 'nobody' is commonly found on UNIX systems, and is used for
> "unprivileged" tasks - such as running the application that creates

> Now at _this point, let's wait out the 'cycle-2' and see if it occurs

> with this user. IF IT DOES, then this is a "global" function, which
> has to be set with the /etc/profile configuration file and anything
> it may call. User nobody has no home directory, and thus defaults
> to / - but there are no 'dot-files' there. So this user is missing
> the personalized tweaks that a distribution may include. So, what
> do we find here? If you are /bin/sh rather than /bin/bash AND
> you don't get cycle-2, let's try running the command '/bin/bash'
> as user 'nobody' to start a bash shell - does THAT cause it?

This was done with the X shutdown of course.

from root

su - nobody got this
-sh: /dev/tty1: permission denied
-sh-3.3$ whoami
nobody

In spite of the denial I am using tty1

it obviously worked and the cycle-2 still runs, so it is global.
Although sh is linked to bash.

ls -l /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2009-02-05 19:08 /bin/sh -> bash*

/etc/profile.

# /etc/profile -*- Mode: shell-script -*-
# (c) MandrakeSoft, Chmouel Boudjnah <chm...@mandrakesoft.com>

loginsh=1

if [ "$UID" -ge 500 ] && ! echo ${PATH} |grep -q /usr/games ; then
PATH=$PATH:/usr/games
fi

umask 022

USER=`id -un`
LOGNAME=$USER
MAIL="/var/spool/mail/$USER"
HISTCONTROL=ignoredups
HOSTNAME=`/bin/hostname`
HISTSIZE=1000

if [ -z "$INPUTRC" -a ! -f "$HOME/.inputrc" ]; then
INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
fi

# some old programs still use it (eg: "man"), and it is also
# required for level1 compliance for LI18NUX2000
NLSPATH=/usr/share/locale/%l/%N

export PATH PS1 USER LOGNAME MAIL HOSTNAME INPUTRC NLSPATH
export HISTCONTROL HISTSIZE

for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh ; do
if [ -r $i ]; then
. $i
fi
done

unset i

_______________________

ls -al /etc/profile.d/
total 160
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-02-06 02:59 ./
drwxr-xr-x 96 root root 12288 2009-02-20 08:04 ../
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1152 2008-12-06 03:11 10inputrc.csh
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 133 2008-12-06 03:11 10inputrc.sh
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2883 2008-12-06 03:11 10lang.csh
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5113 2008-12-06 03:11 10lang.sh
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 209 2008-12-10 02:40 10mandriva-release.csh
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 117 2008-12-10 02:40 10mandriva-release.sh
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 332 2008-12-06 03:11 10tmpdir.csh
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 685 2008-12-06 03:11 10tmpdir.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 235 2008-08-14 23:05 20less.csh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 301 2008-08-14 23:05 20less.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 51 2008-09-30 02:31 20mc.csh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 155 2008-09-30 02:31 20mc.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 63 2008-06-18 23:30 20screen.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 348 2008-10-04 04:03 30menustyle.csh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 240 2008-10-04 04:03 30menustyle.sh*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 129 2009-01-09 04:17 30python.csh
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 124 2009-01-09 04:17 30python.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 200 2008-09-18 17:53 50glib20.csh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 220 2008-09-18 17:53 50glib20.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 235 2008-09-29 22:40 60qt4.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 310 2008-10-01 00:25 90qtdir3.csh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 317 2008-10-01 00:25 90qtdir3.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 134 2008-09-30 03:43 90ssh-client.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 444 2008-09-28 23:31 91kde3.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2211 2008-08-07 02:26 alias.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1552 2008-11-20 08:42 configure_keyboard.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 64 2008-09-23 04:53 gconf.csh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 75 2008-09-23 04:53 gconf.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2201 2008-10-01 03:44 gvfs-bash-completion.sh*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 64 2008-11-06 02:18 kde4.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1799 2009-01-06 05:14 msec.csh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 943 2009-01-06 05:14 msec.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 277 2008-06-18 06:35 numlock.sh*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 306 2008-12-12 20:17 openoffice.org3.0.csh
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 308 2008-12-12 20:17 openoffice.org3.0.sh

Do any of these look like contenders?

--
faeychild

faeychild

Feb 19, 2009, 5:57:45 PM2/19/09
David W. Hodgins wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:50:52 -0500, faeychild <pho...@deimos.com> wrote:
>
>> Or something that takes key inputs and accesses the drive. But runs
>> continuously under the GUI
>
> There are so many things started by /usr/share/autostart, not to mention
> hal/udev, it's hard to track down.
>
> To get a complete list of what is being accessed, ensure you have atime in
> the mount options, and use the find command with -atime, similar to what
> you did with mmin, (again excluding things not on disk like /proc, /sys,
> /dev).
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

cat /etc/fstab
# Entry for /dev/sda5 :
UUID=75cd56c0-6e1a-4ddc-b490-4356e3bed8ad / ext3 relatime 1 1
# Entry for /dev/sda1 :
UUID=4cd00bf2-da4f-44ac-a05a-51754349c171 /boot ext3 relatime 1 2
# Entry for /dev/sdb1 :
UUID=96fc83a5-eed1-4b37-9f46-73366fc445d6 /data ext3 relatime 1 2
/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
# Entry for /dev/sdb2 :
UUID=e1d0af39-95e4-48e9-8cc2-c26e3b59373e swap swap defaults 0 0

would you exchange realtime for atime in the file?

--
faeychild

Moe Trin

Feb 19, 2009, 11:04:02 PM2/19/09
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
<gnknrg$bv6$1...@reader.motzarella.org>, faeychild wrote:

>Moe Trin wrote:

>> faeychild wrote:

>>> I will have a look at these tomorrow. It is currently 2300 and not
>>> the time to be stumbling through scripts

>> Agreed.

>I am a bit behind here. We had a small medical emergency in the family.

Hope everyone is OK.

>> Look at /etc/passwd, and see if you have another user account,
>> preferably one that is unconfigured. An example is

>cat /etc/passwd | grep nobody
>nobody:x:65534:65534:Nobody:/:/bin/sh
>
>Indeed we have nobody.

Great. Minor difference here, your second field is an 'x' which means
the password hash is in /etc/shadow - and if you look there (you need
to be root to do so), you'd find the '*' there. Same result.

>su - nobody got this
>-sh: /dev/tty1: permission denied
>-sh-3.3$ whoami
>nobody

Excellent!

>In spite of the denial I am using tty1

Not exactly sure why - that's some extra function that is trying to run,
and nobody doesn't have permission to run/access it.

>it obviously worked and the cycle-2 still runs, so it is global.
>Although sh is linked to bash.

That's good. If you look at the man page for bash, under INVOCATION,
you should find something similar to

If Bash is invoked as sh, it tries to mimic the behavior
of sh as closely as possible. For a login shell, it
attempts to source only /etc/profile and ~/.profile, in
that order. The -noprofile option may still be used to
disable this behavior. A shell invoked as sh does not
attempt to source any other startup files.

>/etc/profile.

>MAIL="/var/spool/mail/$USER"

That could be where your permission error above comes from

>if [ -z "$INPUTRC" -a ! -f "$HOME/.inputrc" ]; then
> INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
>fi

That will not run - '/.inputrc' doesn't exist. OK

>for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh ; do
> if [ -r $i ]; then
> . $i
> fi

From the man page item above, this shouldn't run. If you compare the
output of the 'set' commands as a user and as nobody, I'd expect
nobody to be much less than the user.

>ls -al /etc/profile.d/

Holy codfish!

>Do any of these look like contenders?

I don't believe so - the way I'd check this would be to look at your
environment - specifically the aliases which should be empty. Try the
command 'alias' as 'nobody' and you _should_ have nothing - result
should look like

[pathfinder ~]$ alias
[pathfinder ~]$

If you _do_ get something, I'd compare it to the
'/etc/profile.d/alias.sh file. It the results are the same (meaning
>that the alias.sh file did run), I'd look at the
/etc/profile.d/configure_keyboard.sh file, but that is a guess on my
part. Another _possible_ file might be the /etc/profile.d/10inputrc.sh
and /etc/profile.d/10lang.sh.

In message <gnko5a$bv6$2...@reader.motzarella.org> dated 20 Feb 2009
09:57:45 (your response to David), you show /dev/sda[15] and /dev/sdb1
with the 'relatime' option, which my systems don't have. Reading the
available man pages, this effectively prevents using the '-amin' option
in find. I'd suggest deleting that option (which I believe should then
allow the default mode (which would be the equivalent of 'atime'), BUT
as I don't have this option, I'd follow David's recommendation.

If there's nothing obvious in those /etc/profile.d/ files mentioned
above, we're going to have to try to use the -amin option, as looking
through haystacks for a needle and not having a mine-detector is hard.

Old guy

David W. Hodgins

Feb 20, 2009, 4:56:51 PM2/20/09
On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:57:45 -0500, faeychild <pho...@deimos.com> wrote:

> would you exchange realtime for atime in the file?

Yes, change relatime (relative access time) to atime for the duration of the
troubleshooting.

As to the files in /etc/profile.d, most of them do nothing, except set environment
variables. They are used during the install of Linux Standard Base (LSB)
compatible rpm packages, as well as being executed during the bash and other
shell startups.

One exception, is keychain, which, if you have .ssh or .gnupg files in your home
directory, will start ssh-agent, and/or gpg-agent, asking you for the passphrase,
and keeping them in memory until you reboot the computer.
I strongly suggest removing keychain, if installed on your system.

One possibility for the disk access, is the inotify function built into the kernel, which
kde uses to monitor directories and files, to see if another application has changed
them. I would expect them to be in the buffers, but that may not be the case.

Just to repeat some earlier advice, in case some of it was missed.
Remove any packages that show up in "grep beagle /var/log/rpmpkgs",
to disable the automatic indexing of all files on the system.

Disable mdkonline by adding the following line to ~/.MdkOnline/mdkonline
AUTOSTART=FALSE
This stops mdkonline from running "urpmi.update", without you asking for it.
Don't forget to manually check for updates, when you want to.

Disable net_applet by adding the following line to ~/.net_applet
AUTOSTART=FALSE

Another thing I just remembered, that may be causing the "hard drive led" to
flash.

The haldaemon polls any cd/dvd drives for inserted media, every 2 seconds.
If you have a cd/dvd drive on the same controller as the hard drive, that will
also cause the light to flash, even though it isn't the hard drive being accessed.

To disable polling of the cd/dvd drive, run
"lshal |grep info.udi|grep storage>hal.txt" In the hal.txt file, find the line
for your cd/dvd and run (as root)
# hal-disable-polling --udi '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_DVD_RW__DVR_111D'
replace the udi string, with the one for your cd/dvd.

Note you'll have to manually mount/umount the cd/dvd, after this change.
If you want to re-enable the device polling, delete the file it created from
/etc/hal/fdi/information/

faeychild

Feb 20, 2009, 10:59:50 PM2/20/09
David W. Hodgins wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:50:52 -0500, faeychild <pho...@deimos.com> wrote:
>
>> Or something that takes key inputs and accesses the drive. But runs
>> continuously under the GUI
>
> There are so many things started by /usr/share/autostart, not to mention
> hal/udev, it's hard to track down.
>
> To get a complete list of what is being accessed, ensure you have atime in
> the mount options, and use the find command with -atime, similar to what
> you did with mmin, (again excluding things not on disk like /proc, /sys,
> /dev).
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Sorry Dave, Moe I am going to have to abandon this for an unspecified length of time.
I am having increasing difficulty getting knode to connect to the server.

--
faeychild

faeychild

Feb 19, 2009, 6:18:44 PM2/19/09
Moe Trin wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in
> article <gnh0bl$hh2$2...@reader.motzarella.org>, faeychild wrote:

PS I overlooked one of your previous requests ( or maybe more)

Point 5 - what does 'ls /etc/rc.d/rc1.d' and '/etc/rc.d/rc3.d' show?

Normally, in run-level 1, there is virtually nothing running - in my
systems, it's S00single, S01kerneld and S20random, while run-level 3
has 14 S* links.

ls /etc/rc.d/rc1.d
K00hddtemp@ K09dm@ K49crond@ K60atd@ K92anacron@
K00netconsole@ K15numlock@ K49messagebus@ K69sound@ K92ip6tables@
K00netfs@ K20kheader@ K50network-up@ K70alsa@ K92iptables@
K00ntpd@ K20partmon@ K50resolvconf@ K74lm_sensors@ S26udev-post@
K00preload@ K48haldaemon@ K50syslog@ K90network@ S99single@
K05keytable@ K48mandi@ K56acpid@ K90shorewall@

ls /etc/rc.d/rc3.d
K00netconsole@ S10network@ S26lm_sensors@ S50resolvconf@ S53messagebus@ S90hddtemp@
K00preload@ S13partmon@ S26udev-post@ S50syslog@ S54haldaemon@ S95anacron@
K09dm@ S14acpid@ S29numlock@ S51netfs@ S54mandi@ S95kheader@
S03ip6tables@ S17alsa@ S40atd@ S51shorewall@ S56ntpd@ S99local@
S03iptables@ S18sound@ S50network-up@ S52keytable@ S90crond@

[OT]
I am surprised this bug with knode has not been addresses yet.
It is currently still accessing the newsserver and has been doing so for 30 minutes and as long as it does I can send and receive. I don't dare interrupt it.

--
faeychild

Moe Trin

Feb 21, 2009, 11:00:55 PM2/21/09
On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
<gnnu7o$u01$1...@reader.motzarella.org>, faeychild wrote:

>David W. Hodgins wrote:

>> To get a complete list of what is being accessed, ensure you have
>> atime in the mount options, and use the find command with -atime,
>> similar to what you did with mmin, (again excluding things not on
>> disk like /proc, /sys, /dev).

Agree

>Sorry Dave, Moe I am going to have to abandon this for an unspecified
>length of time.
>I am having increasing difficulty getting knode to connect to the server.

What are the errors? 'NTP' is a text protocol, and you could use a
packet sniffer to see what the server and client are saying to each
other. But before that, does netstat -antu shoe established connections
to the server? Can you connect to another news server (even if you
can't post) such as free.yottanews.com, freenews.netfront.net,
freetext.usenetserver.com, news.albasani.net, news.chello.nl,
news.cn99.com or news.cnntp.org

Old guy

faeychikd

Feb 22, 2009, 9:28:48 PM2/22/09
Moe Trin wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in
> article <gnnu7o$u01$1...@reader.motzarella.org>, faeychild wrote:
>
>>David W. Hodgins wrote:
>
>>> To get a complete list of what is being accessed, ensure you have
>>> atime in the mount options, and use the find command with -atime,
>>> similar to what you did with mmin, (again excluding things not on
>>> disk like /proc, /sys, /dev).
>
> Agree
>
>>Sorry Dave, Moe I am going to have to abandon this for an unspecified
>>length of time.
>>I am having increasing difficulty getting knode to connect to the server.
>
> What are the errors?

Unexpected server response to GROUP command: 502 Authentication error.
This is a reported bug 167718

> packet sniffer to see what the server and client are saying to each
> other.

not that adventurous yet or experienced.

This morning, after a night of downloading earlier versions of Knode to no
avail, the news reader worked flawlessly.
And a forum post in Whirlpool.net complained of an authentication failure
with the ISP. You have to wonder, coincidence; capricious spirits
encroaching dementia. sigh.

To the point all aboard again

--
faeychild

faeychikd

Feb 22, 2009, 10:11:38 PM2/22/09
David W. Hodgins wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:57:45 -0500, faeychild <pho...@deimos.com> wrote:
>

>> would you exchange realtime for atime in the file?
>
> Yes, change relatime (relative access time) to atime for the duration of
> the troubleshooting.
>
> As to the files in /etc/profile.d, most of them do nothing, except set
> environment
> variables. They are used during the install of Linux Standard Base (LSB)
> compatible rpm packages, as well as being executed during the bash and
> other shell startups.
>
> One exception, is keychain, which, if you have .ssh or .gnupg files in

nope

> your home directory, will start ssh-agent, and/or gpg-agent, asking you
> for the passphrase, and keeping them in memory until you reboot the
> computer. I strongly suggest removing keychain, if installed on your
> system.

ps aux | grep keychain doesn't show keychain, would it?

> One possibility for the disk access, is the inotify function built into
> the kernel, which kde uses to monitor directories and files, to see if
> another application has changed
> them. I would expect them to be in the buffers, but that may not be the
> case.
>
> Just to repeat some earlier advice, in case some of it was missed.
> Remove any packages that show up in "grep beagle /var/log/rpmpkgs",
> to disable the automatic indexing of all files on the system.

sudo grep beagle /var/log/rpmpkgs
Password:
libbeagle1-0.3.5.1-2mdv2009.0.i586.rpm

I have the library it seems but I don't think beagle is running
ps aux | grep beagle
26989 0.0 0.0 3220 704 pts/1 S+ 13:36 0:00 grep --color beagle

> Disable mdkonline by adding the following line to ~/.MdkOnline/mdkonline
> AUTOSTART=FALSE
> This stops mdkonline from running "urpmi.update", without you asking for
> it. Don't forget to manually check for updates, when you want to.
>
> Disable net_applet by adding the following line to ~/.net_applet
> AUTOSTART=FALSE

And restart the desktop

Alas no change

****************SUCCESS *************************

would you believe it????? ----- POLLING !!!

> ote you'll have to manually mount/umount the cd/dvd, after this change.

It seem to be already unmounted

Don't care though. All is well. So fantastic to find out what is was. I can
reenable it now that it doesn't matter. I think I have to to get it
recognized when I put a disk in. But at least it is not a HD read

Moe Dave. You guys are champions. Many thanks for your great effort.

Go out and get drunk :-)

--
faeychild

faeychikd

Feb 22, 2009, 10:17:43 PM2/22/09
faeychikd wrote:

Remember "lisa" would disconnect the lan if you left it idle.

These polling daemons are a force to be reckoned with.

--
faeychild

faeychild

Feb 23, 2009, 5:03:44 AM2/23/09
faeychikd wrote:

I have been backtracking the diagnostics.

On the command line in runlevel 3 I used service to stop the haldaemon and
it worked.

But I am almost sure that this was one of the list of daemons I stopped one
after the other previously without results. Maybe the confusion. Who knows?

So I wonder why the daemon only polls 14 times in terminal mode when ever a
key is struck. Maybe for a CL cd player.

I am so glad it is over.

--
faeychild

Moe Trin

Feb 23, 2009, 7:52:43 PM2/23/09
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
<gnt1l6$ti7$1...@reader.motzarella.org>, faeychikd wrote:

>Moe Trin wrote:

>> faeychild wrote:

>>> I am having increasing difficulty getting knode to connect to the
>>> server.

>> What are the errors?

>Unexpected server response to GROUP command: 502 Authentication error.
>This is a reported bug 167718

I've seen something similar, usually a result of the client getting
out of sync with the server, or a server configuration... change.

>> packet sniffer to see what the server and client are saying to each
>> other.

>not that adventurous yet or experienced.

There are essentially three documents that describe what's going on.
RFC0977 is probably adequate, although it is ancient, Section 4.1
illustrates the conversation. Were you to be serious about it, RFC2980
adds more features, and RFC3977 replaces RFC0977 but it a whole lot
more wordy. Copious Free Time - you've got tons of it, right? ;-)

>You have to wonder, coincidence; capricious spirits encroaching
>dementia. sigh.

Don't forget 'age' - that's always a good excuse.

>To the point all aboard again

And I see you reporting it solved. Glad to hear it. Aren't all of
these automatic helpers wonderful? They give you the excuse to start
drinking early!

Old guy

faeychild

Feb 24, 2009, 6:24:11 AM2/24/09
Moe Trin wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in
> article <gnt1l6$ti7$1...@reader.motzarella.org>, faeychikd wrote:
>
>>Moe Trin wrote:

>>> What are the errors?
>
>>Unexpected server response to GROUP command: 502 Authentication error.
>>This is a reported bug 167718
>
> I've seen something similar, usually a result of the client getting
> out of sync with the server, or a server configuration... change.
>
>>> packet sniffer to see what the server and client are saying to each
>>> other.
>
>>not that adventurous yet or experienced.
>
> There are essentially three documents that describe what's going on.
> RFC0977 is probably adequate, although it is ancient, Section 4.1
> illustrates the conversation. Were you to be serious about it, RFC2980
> adds more features, and RFC3977 replaces RFC0977 but it a whole lot
> more wordy. Copious Free Time - you've got tons of it, right? ;-)

indeed

And you track all these RFC's

>>You have to wonder, coincidence; capricious spirits encroaching
>>dementia. sigh.
>
> Don't forget 'age' - that's always a good excuse.

yep

>>To the point all aboard again
>
> And I see you reporting it solved. Glad to hear it. Aren't all of
> these automatic helpers wonderful? They give you the excuse to start
> drinking early!

there has to be some reward

> Old guy

Thanks Moe
--
faeychild

Moe Trin

Feb 24, 2009, 2:50:27 PM2/24/09
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
<go0lcr$a83$1...@news.albasani.net>, faeychild wrote:

>Moe Trin wrote:

>> There are essentially three documents that describe what's going on.
>> RFC0977 is probably adequate, although it is ancient, Section 4.1
>> illustrates the conversation. Were you to be serious about it,
>> RFC2980 adds more features, and RFC3977 replaces RFC0977 but it a
>> whole lot more wordy. Copious Free Time - you've got tons of
>> it, right? ;-)

>indeed

Where can I buy some? Is it expensive?

>And you track all these RFC's

ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc-index.txt

[compton ~]$ ls -l rfcs/rfc-index.02.21.09.txt.gz | cut -c35-
228019 Feb 22 04:32 rfcs/rfc-index.02.21.09.txt.gz
[compton ~]$ zcat rfcs/rfc-index* | sed 's/^$/\%/' | tr -d '\n' |
tr '%' '\n' | grep '^[0-9]' | tr -s ' ' | grep -v 'Not Issued' |
sed 's/.*Status: //' | tr -d '\)' | sort | uniq -c | column
161 BEST CURRENT PRACTICE 1658 INFORMATIONAL
137 DRAFT STANDARD 1819 PROPOSED STANDARD
309 EXPERIMENTAL 84 STANDARD
216 HISTORIC 909 UNKNOWN
[compton ~]$

0977 Network News Transfer Protocol. B. Kantor, P. Lapsley. February
1986. (Format: TXT=55062 bytes) (Obsoleted by RFC3977) (Status:
PROPOSED STANDARD)

2980 Common NNTP Extensions. S. Barber. October 2000. (Format:
TXT=57165 bytes) (Updated by RFC3977, RFC4643, RFC4644) (Status:
INFORMATIONAL)

3977 Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP). C. Feather. October 2006.
(Format: TXT=247440 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC0977) (Updates RFC2980)

In reality, you really don't have to keep track of the 5293 RFCs that
were in the index Sunday - never mind the 1557 draft RFCs that are in
progress of being written. RFCs are primarily "compatibility"
documents. You _could_ do your own thing, but "this" is how everyone
else is expecting. You don't have to run a web server on TCP port 80,
but if you expect people to connect to it, "these" are the way people
expect things to work. Oh, and there are some on the lighter side:

1925 The Twelve Networking Truths. R. Callon. April 1 1996. (Format:
TXT=4294 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

2100 The Naming of Hosts. J. Ashworth. April 1 1997. (Format: TXT=4077
bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

2321 RITA -- The Reliable Internetwork Troubleshooting Agent. A.
Bressen. April 1 1998. (Format: TXT=12302 bytes) (Status:
INFORMATIONAL)

2795 The Infinite Monkey Protocol Suite (IMPS). S. Christey. April 1
2000. (Format: TXT=42902 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

3514 The Security Flag in the IPv4 Header. S. Bellovin. April 1 2003.
(Format: TXT=11211 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

>> Aren't all of these automatic helpers wonderful? They give you the
>> excuse to start drinking early!

>there has to be some reward

And some people wonder why we're in this business.

>Thanks Moe

You're quite welcome!

Old guy

faeychild

Feb 24, 2009, 5:34:52 PM2/24/09
Moe Trin wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in
> article <go0lcr$a83$1...@news.albasani.net>, faeychild wrote:
>
>>Moe Trin wrote:
but it a
>>> whole lot more wordy. Copious Free Time - you've got tons of
>>> it, right? ;-)
>
>>indeed
>
> Where can I buy some? Is it expensive?

breathtakingly so

> [compton ~]$ ls -l rfcs/rfc-index.02.21.09.txt.gz | cut -c35-
> 228019 Feb 22 04:32 rfcs/rfc-index.02.21.09.txt.gz
> [compton ~]$ zcat rfcs/rfc-index* | sed 's/^$/\%/' | tr -d '\n' |
> tr '%' '\n' | grep '^[0-9]' | tr -s ' ' | grep -v 'Not Issued' |
> sed 's/.*Status: //' | tr -d '\)' | sort | uniq -c | column
> 161 BEST CURRENT PRACTICE 1658 INFORMATIONAL
> 137 DRAFT STANDARD 1819 PROPOSED STANDARD
> 309 EXPERIMENTAL 84 STANDARD
> 216 HISTORIC 909 UNKNOWN
> [compton ~]$

Are you one of those people who can remember all the sed/grep/awk
option/switches without "man" reference.

> In reality, you really don't have to keep track of the 5293 RFCs that
> were in the index Sunday - never mind the 1557 draft RFCs that are in
> progress of being written. RFCs are primarily "compatibility"
> documents. You _could_ do your own thing, but "this" is how everyone
> else is expecting. You don't have to run a web server on TCP port 80,
> but if you expect people to connect to it, "these" are the way people
> expect things to work. Oh, and there are some on the lighter side:

That would Methode de Microsofte.

> 1925 The Twelve Networking Truths. R. Callon. April 1 1996. (Format:
> TXT=4294 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)
>
> 2100 The Naming of Hosts. J. Ashworth. April 1 1997. (Format: TXT=4077
> bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)
>
> 2321 RITA -- The Reliable Internetwork Troubleshooting Agent. A.
> Bressen. April 1 1998. (Format: TXT=12302 bytes) (Status:
> INFORMATIONAL)
>
> 2795 The Infinite Monkey Protocol Suite (IMPS). S. Christey. April 1
> 2000. (Format: TXT=42902 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)
>
> 3514 The Security Flag in the IPv4 Header. S. Bellovin. April 1 2003.
> (Format: TXT=11211 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

All excellent

--
faeychild

Moe Trin

Feb 25, 2009, 10:57:33 PM2/25/09
On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
<go1smg$amj$1...@news.albasani.net>, faeychild wrote:

>Moe Trin wrote:

[Copious Free Time]

>> Where can I buy some? Is it expensive?

>breathtakingly so

Drat! I keep hoping to find some place where it's cheaper.

>> [compton ~]$ zcat rfcs/rfc-index* | sed 's/^$/\%/' | tr -d '\n' |
>> tr '%' '\n' | grep '^[0-9]' | tr -s ' ' | grep -v 'Not Issued' |
>> sed 's/.*Status: //' | tr -d '\)' | sort | uniq -c | column
>> 161 BEST CURRENT PRACTICE 1658 INFORMATIONAL
>> 137 DRAFT STANDARD 1819 PROPOSED STANDARD
>> 309 EXPERIMENTAL 84 STANDARD
>> 216 HISTORIC 909 UNKNOWN
>> [compton ~]$

>Are you one of those people who can remember all the sed/grep/awk
>option/switches without "man" reference.

All? Hardly - but that's what the '--help' option is for, and failing
that, the man page. You rarely use that many _different_ options to
any command. '/bin/ls' has over forty switches/options, and yet few
people are _aware_ of more than a dozen, let alone use them. As you
read things, such as Usenet posts, HOWTOs, LDP guides, magazines such
as Linux Journal, Linux Format and so on, you'll see command
sequences such as the above, perhaps along with some form of output
or other explanation. What I often see is ideas or concepts - hey, I
didn't know you could do $FOO. I'll usually cut-and-paste such
information to a `interesting_ideas' file. Maybe I'll never use it.
Maybe it will cause me to look and think 'why did he do $BAR'. That's
how we learn.

Old guy