Forking around PCLinux, Rosa, Easy OS and a few other new releases

Bobbie Sellers

Mar 21, 2019, 4:26:55 PM3/21/19
Hi Readers and Typers,
Two new releases of PCLinuxOS64 both in KDE and Mate
as pclinuxos64-kde5-2019.03.iso.
Very good release, I would only have chase a very few other
packages down if I had installed from this release. But I got the
same results by updating from my original 2017.03 release

pclinuxos-kde-darkstar-2019.0315.iso is a very compact release with a
lot of tools to download to make it useful to me. The supplied
them is very dark and uncomfortable for me to use. At 936 Megabytes
it is nearly exactly half the size of the new mainline release.

Rosa as ROSA.FRESH.PLASMA5.R11.x86_64.iso on the other hand claims
Mandriva inheritance but aside from a few themes it does not demonstrate
it,

Open_Mandriva openmandriva-4.0-beta I decided not to download
a beta full of systemd tools.

condres_os-19.03-kde.iso claims no ancestry but is based in Arch, and
has a comfortable feel. In the Mate version it was negatively
reviewed in the Distrowatch Weekly newsletter of DistroWatch Weekly,
Issue 804, 4 March 2019 which can be read at:
<https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20190304>

Mageia 7 in beta 1 and beta 2 releases is looking good but
is months away from a new release. I will avoid the beta 3, which
is supposed to be testing new artwork. It does use systemd which
is the only thing I hold against it.

NOW For Something completely different and totally
unrelated to Mandrake/Mandriva forks,

EasyOS is a gui managed container system in which
even the desktop can be be run from a container, Easy Containers
is the tool used for this. This was built on Puppy ancestry
but as you modify it it creates a new package which can be
saved back to the Flash Drive you boot it from. This is
a part of the futurem

Kodachi is another part of the future offering you onlie
anonimity and uses TOR tools in achieving this anonimity but
it is designed for booting from a Flash Drive. If you are someone
who values their privacy this might be more portable tool than
T.A.I.L.S.

Qubes is another container system with less GUI management
but it includes Whonix which it runs in a container to get the
anonimity that so many(apparently) value. Again Whonix is
using TOR tools to achieve this.

The benefit of the container programs and there are many
such is that it isolates the material in it from your main system,
It would seem more suited to the people who are coding,

bliss

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com