strange keyboard behavior

1 view

PingOut

Jul 22, 2002, 11:05:08 AM7/22/02
I'm running Mandrake 8.2 on my Thinkpad 600E, PII 300. My keyboard is
currently set as US keyboard(international), but I found that in order for
me to use the " or ' keys, I would have to press the same key twice in order
to get the character. Anyway to go round that, or did I set my keyboard
wrongly.

Peter T. Breuer

Jul 22, 2002, 5:57:19 PM7/22/02

No, you have to press " followed by space. They're for making accents.

You might want to set the NoDeadKeys option in the config file.

Peter

Silvan

Jul 23, 2002, 3:26:19 AM7/23/02
Peter T. Breuer wrote:

> PingOut <pin...@removethis.ihug.com.au> wrote:
>> I'm running Mandrake 8.2 on my Thinkpad 600E, PII 300. My keyboard is
>> currently set as US keyboard(international), but I found that in order
>> for me to use the " or ' keys, I would have to press the same key twice
>> in order to get the character. Anyway to go round that, or did I set my
>> keyboard
>
> No, you have to press " followed by space. They're for making accents.

Or press them twice.

> You might want to set the NoDeadKeys option in the config file.

Or switch to the regular, non-international US layout.

--
Michael McIntyre zone 6b in SW VA
Silvan Pagan Linux Druid

Peter T. Breuer

Jul 23, 2002, 5:10:27 AM7/23/02
Silvan <sil...@windows-sucks.com> wrote:
> Peter T. Breuer wrote:

>> PingOut <pin...@removethis.ihug.com.au> wrote:
>>> I'm running Mandrake 8.2 on my Thinkpad 600E, PII 300. My keyboard is
>>> currently set as US keyboard(international), but I found that in order
>>> for me to use the " or ' keys, I would have to press the same key twice
>>> in order to get the character. Anyway to go round that, or did I set my
>>> keyboard
>>
>> No, you have to press " followed by space. They're for making accents.

> Or press them twice.

It's merely an accident that quotes can't be accented in his language
:-)

>> You might want to set the NoDeadKeys option in the config file.

> Or switch to the regular, non-international US layout.

Oxymoron? I suppose it depends where you are standing when you say
that! Maybe the international version's for californians?

Peter

Silvan

Jul 23, 2002, 1:05:10 PM7/23/02
Peter T. Breuer wrote:

> It's merely an accident that quotes can't be accented in his language
> :-)

It works though. The US International layout is basically stock US, except
that ' " ^ and I think : are dead keys. There are a lot of combinations
that don't work.

My kicker died a little while back, and re-spawned itself without the system
tray. My language switcher is currently unavailable, so I'm not going to
go play with it.

Anyway, I find the layout pretty useless. It's irritating, yet it doesn't
provide _all_ the special symbols needed for Spanish or French, so there's
no point in using it IMHO. I use the Spanish layout for that, and the
normal, red, white and blue American layout for daily consumption.

I rather doubt our Australian friend's keyboard has anything on the keycaps
that would confuse him if he used the normal layout. (Besides, unlike
_some_ people, most people never look at their keycaps anyway. :P )

>>> You might want to set the NoDeadKeys option in the config file.
>
>> Or switch to the regular, non-international US layout.
>
> Oxymoron? I suppose it depends where you are standing when you say
> that! Maybe the international version's for californians?

I have no idea what it's for. I suppose it's intended to be used by people
who are used to the US layout, but who want to be able to put a few types
of accents onto a few vowels. There's upside down punctuation, no C
cedille, no enyay. I don't _think_ so anyway. It may be that ~N produces
an enyay, in which case it would be just as annoying to use in the Unix
world as one of the other national layouts.