Forking around with Mageia 6 RC amd64

Bobbie Sellers

May 29, 2017, 10:28:04 PM5/29/17
Hi Readers and Typers.
Just concluded some work on the test bed: Dell E6420 with 8 Gigabytes
of ram.
I was favorably impressed from the startup of the installer.
It was so much like Mandriva. It has the choice of DE screen too
which offers KDE's Plasma 5, Gnome (probably 3.x) and Custom. When
I booted up I was offered as well as the KDE product, Ice
A mistake easy to make is that when the DE comes up i thought it was
ready to go but no and after a couple of times of trying to do stuff
too early I figured it out,
The install went pretty fast.
Updating left me with a system that still worked.

I rearranged Plasma 5.x.x pretty close to my ideal formation and
tried out some tools. Gwenview works fine and so does VLC on my .mkv
anime files.
I have the same problems with KDE's Plasma 5 as on every other distro
using this DE. Cannot copy the clock/date. Some extensions to
the editor missing still and I am comparing it to the predecessor KDE's
mostly excellent Plasma 4.14.18
It is way ahead of Open Mandriva which failed to revive after
the first set of updates.

Grub2 comes up nicely and has all the OSes on this system:
PCLinux OS64 2016.03, PCLinux OS64 2017.05, and lists some that I
thought I had scrubbed including Open Mandriva and Debian 8.8.0.
Only hassle was that they did not list in order installed but moved
the Mageia to the top of the list. Very pretty menu though.

So if you are not wedded tightly to another OS as I am
presently, you should try out Mageia but you might want to wait
until it is not telling you that Cauldron is the install.

bliss "running fast and light" on PCLinuxOS64-2016.03
GNU/Linux 4.11.3-pclos1 #1 SMP Thu May 25

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Bit Twister

May 30, 2017, 12:20:35 AM5/30/17
On Mon, 29 May 2017 19:27:59 -0700, Bobbie Sellers wrote:

> Grub2 comes up nicely and has all the OSes on this system:
> PCLinux OS64 2016.03, PCLinux OS64 2017.05, and lists some that I
> thought I had scrubbed including Open Mandriva and Debian 8.8.0.
> Only hassle was that they did not list in order installed but moved
> the Mageia to the top of the list. Very pretty menu though.

Sounds like an a hefty requirement to have a boot loader figure out
the order of installed distributions.

If you leave Mageia grub2 install as default for awhile, you might
notice it will remember the last booted install and make that
selection the default selection for the next boot.

I did not appreciate that feature so I configured /etc/default/grub to
quit doing so, and rolled my own script in /etc/grub.d to make the
menu much more user friendly as to what to select from.

Bobbie Sellers

Jun 18, 2017, 11:06:46 PM6/18/17
On 05/29/2017 07:27 PM, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> Hi Readers and Typers.
> Just concluded some work on the test bed: Dell E6420 with 8
> Gigabytes of ram.
> I was favorably impressed from the startup of the installer.
> It was so much like Mandriva. It has the choice of DE screen too
> which offers KDE's Plasma 5, Gnome (probably 3.x) and Custom. When
> I booted up I was offered as well as the KDE product, Ice
> A mistake easy to make is that when the DE comes up i thought it
> was ready to go but no and after a couple of times of trying to do stuff
> too early I figured it out,
> The install went pretty fast.
> Updating left me with a system that still worked.
>
> I rearranged Plasma 5.x.x pretty close to my ideal formation and
> tried out some tools. Gwenview works fine and so does VLC on my .mkv
> anime files.
> I have the same problems with KDE's Plasma 5 as on every other
> distro using this DE. Cannot copy the clock/date. Some extensions to
> the editor missing still and I am comparing it to the predecessor KDE's
> mostly excellent Plasma 4.14.18
> It is way ahead of Open Mandriva which failed to revive after
> the first set of updates.

It still works after several rounds of updates.

> Grub2 comes up nicely and has all the OSes on this system:
> PCLinux OS64 2016.03, PCLinux OS64 2017.05, and lists some that I
> thought I had scrubbed including Open Mandriva and Debian 8.8.0.
> Only hassle was that they did not list in order installed but moved
> the Mageia to the top of the list. Very pretty menu though.
>
> So if you are not wedded tightly to another OS as I am
> presently, you should try out Mageia but you might want to wait
> until it is not telling you that Cauldron is the install.

bliss "running (fast as well as) and light" on PCLinuxOS64-2016.03
GNU/Linux 4.11.5-pclos1 #1 SMP Wed Jun 14