Gentoo (2.6.38-gentoo-r6) + xineliboutput

alnath

Jun 4, 2011, 11:42:45 AM6/4/11
Hi u all :)

I,'ve been struggling several days trying to get my vdr+xine
working....but no way.
Before I made the gentoo update (with new kernel) I had vdr (not the
portage version, but a compiled one) working, with xine plugin, and I
could watch TV with xine.
After the update, I had to reinstall s2-liplianin stuff (thanks to him
:) ) and VDR. The previous version of VDR refused to compile, than I
tried an "emerge vdr" , which works....almost .
The xineliboutput plugin is masked , then, I can't have a VDR input in
xine.
I've tried to use the sofdevice client, but the video is not smooth at
all, and there is a significant delay between image and sound.
Is there something I could do to get VDR + xine working ?
I've already tried a lot of versions of VDR (1.7.0 ; 1.7.14, 1.7.16 ),
but none of them worked : either I get a problem compiling xine plugin,
either VDR doesn't find a "primary device" ( wich is weird, because when
I launch the "portage" VDR, it has no problem finding the primary device )
Sorry for the long post, and thank you for any help :)
jf

J.O. Aho

Jun 6, 2011, 6:37:40 AM6/6/11
alnath wrote:
> Hi u all :)
>
> I,'ve been struggling several days trying to get my vdr+xine
> working....but no way.
> Before I made the gentoo update (with new kernel) I had vdr (not the
> portage version, but a compiled one) working, with xine plugin, and I
> could watch TV with xine.
> After the update, I had to reinstall s2-liplianin stuff (thanks to him
> :) ) and VDR. The previous version of VDR refused to compile, than I
> tried an "emerge vdr" , which works....almost .
> The xineliboutput plugin is masked , then, I can't have a VDR input in
> xine.

For enabling unstable, do:
echo "media-plugins/vdr-xineliboutputv" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

For enabling masked, do:
echo "media-plugins/vdr-xineliboutputv **" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

And then:
emerge media-plugins/vdr-xineliboutputv

> I've tried to use the sofdevice client, but the video is not smooth at
> all, and there is a significant delay between image and sound.
> Is there something I could do to get VDR + xine working ?
> I've already tried a lot of versions of VDR (1.7.0 ; 1.7.14, 1.7.16 ),
> but none of them worked : either I get a problem compiling xine plugin,
> either VDR doesn't find a "primary device" ( wich is weird, because when
> I launch the "portage" VDR, it has no problem finding the primary device )

Seems like the version of plug-in isn't working with the new kernel where
there could be some changes for the device.

--

//Aho

alnath

Jun 6, 2011, 9:35:43 AM6/6/11

Thanks a lot :) I'll give a try with the xineliboutput plugin
enabled.... but I was wondering why it has been masked.
I'll report the results here.

alnath

Jun 6, 2011, 10:36:35 AM6/6/11
On 06/06/11 15:35, alnath wrote:

> Thanks a lot :) I'll give a try with the xineliboutput plugin
> enabled.... but I was wondering why it has been masked.
> I'll report the results here.

OK, I unmasked vdr-xineliboutput , then rebuild VDR and finally, I made
a vdr-plugins rebuild rebuild , and here is the output of
/etc/init.d/vdr start :
" * Caching service dependencies [ ok ]
* Preparing start of vdr:
* Waiting for DVB devices [ ok ]
* Checking config files [ ok ]
* Starting vdr [ ok ]
* Waiting for working vdr [ ok ]
* VDR errors from /var/log/messages:
* Jun 6 16:11:31 linuxjf vdr: [17338] ERROR (thread.c,225):
Permission non accord��e
* Jun 6 16:11:31 linuxjf vdr: [17341] ERROR (thread.c,225):
Permission non accord��e
* Starting vdr watchdog ... [ok]

I'll see why I get these errors, but it seems that rebuild all the stuff
was a good idea. The vdr-softdevice-client now works well, with smooth
video and the A/V sync is OK :)

Thanks again for your help :)

regards,
jf

J.O. Aho

Jun 6, 2011, 1:49:49 PM6/6/11

The reason why packaged are masked or unstable is for they don't work properly
with current dependencies, there is something in the ebuild that don't compile
to the Gentoo standards and/or that it hasn't been tested enough to consider
stable.

You should always avoid to use packages masked/missing architecture, as those
are more likely to break things, unstables can be used, but be moderated about
them (if you have loads of unstable packages, maybe it's better for you to
switch to unstable architecture (~amd64, ~ppc, ~ppc64, ~sparc64, ~sparc, ...),
but if something breaks you will get less help at the web forum/bugzilla).

> I'll see why I get these errors, but it seems that rebuild all the stuff
> was a good idea. The vdr-softdevice-client now works well, with smooth
> video and the A/V sync is OK :)

Most likely you don't have access to read something, try to see if you can run
in debug mode or in worst case use gdb to see where it breaks.

--

//Aho

alnath

Jun 6, 2011, 3:03:55 PM6/6/11
On 06/06/11 19:49, J.O. Aho wrote:

> The reason why packaged are masked or unstable is for they don't work properly
> with current dependencies, there is something in the ebuild that don't compile
> to the Gentoo standards and/or that it hasn't been tested enough to consider
> stable.
>
> You should always avoid to use packages masked/missing architecture, as those
> are more likely to break things, unstables can be used, but be moderated about
> them (if you have loads of unstable packages, maybe it's better for you to
> switch to unstable architecture (~amd64, ~ppc, ~ppc64, ~sparc64, ~sparc, ...),
> but if something breaks you will get less help at the web forum/bugzilla).

Yes, I know that, and I usually avoid masked packages, but there are
things that I really want to work in Gentoo, VDR is one of them ;)

>> I'll see why I get these errors, but it seems that rebuild all the stuff
>> was a good idea. The vdr-softdevice-client now works well, with smooth
>> video and the A/V sync is OK :)
>
> Most likely you don't have access to read something, try to see if you can run
> in debug mode or in worst case use gdb to see where it breaks.

Yes, I'll have a look tomorrow :)