Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), but getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.

Ant

Apr 10, 2023, 5:29:21 PM4/10/23
Hello,

Over Easter 2023 weekend, my friend and I replaced my 14 yrs. old Debian PC's mobo, CPU, RAM, drives, etc. for better setups like speeds. However, my May 2022's updated 64-bit Debian v11 (stable -- bullseye) installation has a long start up due to errors on the new hardwares especially in SSD.

Last night, I Clonezillaed (bootable clonezilla-live-3.0.3-22-amd64.iso CDRW) from the very old 320 GB HDD to a new Samsung 500 GB SSD. Then, I used a bootable gparted (gparted-live-1.5.0-1-amd64.iso) CDRW to make my old Linux partition bigger, redid my partitions to remake a new bigger swap partition and add a NTFS partition for my future 64-bit Windows 7 HPE SP1 restore/install (just concentrating on my old Debian for now).

I managed to make the 1.5 mins. pause go away for UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed job issue by adding # to my /etc/fstab's #UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed none swap sw 0 0 line.
Its comment says "swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation". That used to be my old 1 GB swap partition. How do I figure out what UUID to use to point to the newly made swap partition? Actually, do I even need it with 16 GB of RAM now? I did on the former PC with 2 GB of RAM.

http://zimage.com/~ant/temp/DebianSwappedHWs/ shows details like dmesg log, a photo, systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service, etc.

How do I fix these issues? I hope I don't have to (clean/re)install! Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
--
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness." --Colossians 2:6. Slammy Easter weekend and maybe new week. :(
| |o o| |

Computer Nerd Kev

Apr 10, 2023, 6:34:55 PM4/10/23
alt.os.debian removed because it doesn't exist on the news server
I'm using.

Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:

> Its comment says "swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation".
> That used to be my old 1 GB swap partition. How do I figure
> out what UUID to use to point to the newly made swap partition?

Run blkid on the command line. Or if you want to be specific:
blkid | grep 'TYPE="swap"'

> Actually, do I even need it with 16 GB of RAM now?
> I did on the former PC with 2 GB of RAM.

Well that depends entirely on what your doing. I've got a PC with
2GB of RAM where I don't think it's ever really used the swap
space (which is good because it's compressed in RAM, so pretty much
a last resort), so it depends entirely on what you do with it. That
PC does run current Firefox (with various extra performance
settings like a reduced limit on the maximum number of tabs that
are kept loaded at once).

A swap file is also an option, but either way I really wouldn't
want to be wearing out an SSD with swap activity so I'd go with
the compressed swap in RAM if in doubt about whether I could
chew through 16GBs of RAM. Worst is an error condition where a
process eats up all the RAM, swaps your SSD to death, then freezes
up the whole machine so that you have to restart anyway.

PS: please wrap your lines.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

songbird

Apr 10, 2023, 7:59:17 PM4/10/23
Ant wrote:
> How do I fix these issues? I hope I don't have to (clean/re)install! Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

i barely scratch the swap partition i have set up but i
don't do any major editing that often where it might kick
in. still i prefer to have some available just in case.
a few gigs off a 2TB drive is no big deal.

as root you'd use

# swapoff -a

which should stop it

then remove it from your fstab.

# swapoff -h

Usage:
swapoff [options] [<spec>]

Disable devices and files for paging and swapping.

-a, --all disable all swaps from /proc/swaps
-v, --verbose verbose mode

-h, --help display this help
-V, --version display version

The <spec> parameter:
-L <label> LABEL of device to be used
-U <uuid> UUID of device to be used
LABEL=<label> LABEL of device to be used
UUID=<uuid> UUID of device to be used
<device> name of device to be used
<file> name of file to be used

For more details see swapoff(8).

but generally when you switch hardware it is probably
not a good idea to reuse a previous install of the modules
and initramfs if it also has modules in it. it may confuse
things.

to avoid reinstalling you may need to regenerate your
initramfs and since i've not done that other installing
a new kernel which does that for me. so perhaps you
could try that?

# dpkg -l | grep linux-image

pick out the image you want to use from the list, i'm
usually running the most recent one.

then:

# apt-get install linux-image-version-stuff --reinstall

maybe that will clear things up for you?

i don't think it would hurt to try.

that's about as far as i can go with this answer...

good luck

songbird

Ant

Apr 11, 2023, 1:11:03 AM4/11/23
Computer Nerd Kev <n...@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
> alt.os.debian removed because it doesn't exist on the news server
> I'm using.

> Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:
> >
> > Its comment says "swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation".
> > That used to be my old 1 GB swap partition. How do I figure
> > out what UUID to use to point to the newly made swap partition?

> Run blkid on the command line. Or if you want to be specific:
> blkid | grep 'TYPE="swap"'

Thanks. That worked. :)

> > Actually, do I even need it with 16 GB of RAM now?
> > I did on the former PC with 2 GB of RAM.

> Well that depends entirely on what your doing. I've got a PC with
> 2GB of RAM where I don't think it's ever really used the swap
> space (which is good because it's compressed in RAM, so pretty much
> a last resort), so it depends entirely on what you do with it. That
> PC does run current Firefox (with various extra performance
> settings like a reduced limit on the maximum number of tabs that
> are kept loaded at once).

Wow with 2 GB of RAM? My former PC struggled badly with 2 GB of RAM. It
runs out of RAM and then starts using my swap partition a lot. :(

> A swap file is also an option, but either way I really wouldn't
> want to be wearing out an SSD with swap activity so I'd go with
> the compressed swap in RAM if in doubt about whether I could
> chew through 16GBs of RAM. Worst is an error condition where a
> process eats up all the RAM, swaps your SSD to death, then freezes
> up the whole machine so that you have to restart anyway.

How does this compressed swap thing work to setup? That's news to me.
--
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness." --Colossians 2:6. Slammy Easter weekend and new week so far. :(

Ant

Apr 11, 2023, 1:16:07 AM4/11/23
songbird <song...@anthive.com> wrote:
> but generally when you switch hardware it is probably
> not a good idea to reuse a previous install of the modules
> and initramfs if it also has modules in it. it may confuse
> things.

I thought Linux just detects changes and new hardwares. I was surprised
it even booted up.

> to avoid reinstalling you may need to regenerate your
> initramfs and since i've not done that other installing
> a new kernel which does that for me. so perhaps you
> could try that?

Hmm, I o

> # dpkg -l | grep linux-image

$ dpkg -l | grep linux-image
ii linux-image-5.10.0-21-amd64 5.10.162-1 amd64 Linux 5.10 for 64-bit PCs (signed)
ii linux-image-amd64 5.10.162-1 amd64 Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)

> pick out the image you want to use from the list, i'm
> usually running the most recent one.

Same. I usually uninstall the old kernels once I know the new one is
working fine.

> then:

> # apt-get install linux-image-version-stuff --reinstall

> maybe that will clear things up for you?

> i don't think it would hurt to try.

> that's about as far as i can go with this answer...

> good luck

$ sudo apt-get install linux-image-5.10.0-21-amd64 linux-image-amd64 --reinstall
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 55.5 MB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security/main amd64 linux-image-5.10.0-21-amd64 amd64 5.10.162-1 [55.5 MB]
Get:2 http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security/main amd64 linux-image-amd64 amd64 5.10.162-1 [1,484 B]
Fetched 55.5 MB in 2s (30.0 MB/s)
(Reading database ... 326174 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../linux-image-5.10.0-21-amd64_5.10.162-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-5.10.0-21-amd64 (5.10.162-1) over (5.10.162-1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-image-amd64_5.10.162-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-amd64 (5.10.162-1) over (5.10.162-1) ...
Setting up linux-image-5.10.0-21-amd64 (5.10.162-1) ...
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools:
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-21-amd64
W: initramfs-tools configuration sets RESUME=UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed
W: but no matching swap device is available.
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub:
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found background image: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.10.0-21-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-21-amd64
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
done
Setting up linux-image-amd64 (5.10.162-1) ...
Scanning processes...
Scanning processor microcode...
Scanning linux images...

Running kernel seems to be up-to-date.

Failed to check for processor microcode upgrades.

No services need to be restarted.

No containers need to be restarted.

No user sessions are running outdated binaries.

$ ls -all /boot
total 52680
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Apr 10 22:14 .
drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 4096 Apr 9 16:54 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 236452 Jan 21 06:35 config-5.10.0-21-amd64
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Apr 10 22:14 grub
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 46666677 Apr 10 22:14 initrd.img-5.10.0-21-amd64
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 83 Jan 21 06:35 System.map-5.10.0-21-amd64
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7019136 Jan 21 06:35 vmlinuz-5.10.0-21-amd64

I hope that is OK.
--
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness." --Colossians 2:6. Slammy Easter weekend and new week so far. :(

Ant

Apr 11, 2023, 1:41:04 AM4/11/23
Also in my photo, there is a long pause after the first four lines with
the ACPI errors. :( I also fixed my swap partition issue so that part
doesn't stall anymore.

In alt.os.linux.debian Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:
> Hello,

> Over Easter 2023 weekend, my friend and I replaced my 14 yrs. old Debian PC's mobo, CPU, RAM, drives, etc. for better setups like speeds. However, my May 2022's updated 64-bit Debian v11 (stable -- bullseye) installation has a long start up due to errors on the new hardwares especially in SSD.

> Last night, I Clonezillaed (bootable clonezilla-live-3.0.3-22-amd64.iso CDRW) from the very old 320 GB HDD to a new Samsung 500 GB SSD. Then, I used a bootable gparted (gparted-live-1.5.0-1-amd64.iso) CDRW to make my old Linux partition bigger, redid my partitions to remake a new bigger swap partition and add a NTFS partition for my future 64-bit Windows 7 HPE SP1 restore/install (just concentrating on my old Debian for now).

> I managed to make the 1.5 mins. pause go away for UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed job issue by adding # to my /etc/fstab's #UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed none swap sw 0 0 line.
> Its comment says "swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation". That used to be my old 1 GB swap partition. How do I figure out what UUID to use to point to the newly made swap partition? Actually, do I even need it with 16 GB of RAM now? I did on the former PC with 2 GB of RAM.

> http://zimage.com/~ant/temp/DebianSwappedHWs/ shows details like dmesg log, a photo, systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service, etc.

> How do I fix these issues? I hope I don't have to (clean/re)install! Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

--
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness." --Colossians 2:6. Slammy Easter weekend and new week so far. :(

Ant

Apr 11, 2023, 1:44:52 AM4/11/23
Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:
> > but generally when you switch hardware it is probably
> > not a good idea to reuse a previous install of the modules
> > and initramfs if it also has modules in it. it may confuse
> > things.

> I thought Linux just detects changes and new hardwares. I was surprised
> it even booted up.

Also, is there a way force Debian to detect new modules like a clean
install does?

> > to avoid reinstalling you may need to regenerate your
> > initramfs and since i've not done that other installing
> > a new kernel which does that for me. so perhaps you
> > could try that?

OK, that removed my old 64-bit W7 Grub entries from my removed old 2nd
HDD. Now, it's just purely Debian.

Ant

Apr 11, 2023, 2:27:52 AM4/11/23
https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comments/12hwrfo/swapped_my_hardwares_motherboard_cpu_ram_drives/jfsoqmd/
fixed my other startup issues. Wow, my old Debian now boots up and shut
down so fast! I had to do it a few times to be sure I wasn't dreaming since
I was tired. :D

Bubba the Corn Dog

Apr 11, 2023, 9:26:47 AM4/11/23
ZRamswap...works great.

songbird

Apr 11, 2023, 9:29:57 AM4/11/23
Ant wrote:
> fixed my other startup issues. Wow, my old Debian now boots up and shut
> down so fast! I had to do it a few times to be sure I wasn't dreaming since
> I was tired. :D

SSDs are wonderful! :) glad it it working now.

songbird

songbird

Apr 11, 2023, 9:29:58 AM4/11/23
Ant wrote:
> songbird <song...@anthive.com> wrote:
>> but generally when you switch hardware it is probably
>> not a good idea to reuse a previous install of the modules
>> and initramfs if it also has modules in it. it may confuse
>> things.
>
> I thought Linux just detects changes and new hardwares. I was surprised
> it even booted up.

i'm really not an expert on this stuff. :)

>> to avoid reinstalling you may need to regenerate your
>> initramfs and since i've not done that other installing
>> a new kernel which does that for me. so perhaps you
>> could try that?
>
> Hmm, I o
>
>> # dpkg -l | grep linux-image
>
> $ dpkg -l | grep linux-image
> ii linux-image-5.10.0-21-amd64 5.10.162-1 amd64 Linux 5.10 for 64-bit PCs (signed)
> ii linux-image-amd64 5.10.162-1 amd64 Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)
>

>> pick out the image you want to use from the list, i'm
>> usually running the most recent one.
>
> Same. I usually uninstall the old kernels once I know the new one is
> working fine.

i keep two, the most recent one and the one before that
was working. i've never had one that didn't boot at all.
looks normal to me for a legacy booting system (no efi).

i run testing and keep one extra kernel version back so i
have twice the entries and it looks like:

config-6.1.0-6-amd64
config-6.1.0-7-amd64
efi
grub
initrd.img-6.1.0-6-amd64
initrd.img-6.1.0-7-amd64
System.map-6.1.0-6-amd64
System.map-6.1.0-7-amd64
vmlinuz-6.1.0-6-amd64
vmlinuz-6.1.0-7-amd64

i also boot via refind instead of grub (for uefi based stuff) and
grub is only an extra that i have to work around at times.

i also keep the top level links available from / for booting like

initrd.img
initrd.img.old
vmlinuz
vmlinuz.old

songbird

William Unruh

Apr 11, 2023, 12:16:47 PM4/11/23
The swap in RAM is a bad idea. You are swapping because you ran out of
ram for your programs, so the swap is eating part of that ram. Silly.

Buy a new disk and put it in. Disks are cheap.

Anton Ertl

Apr 11, 2023, 12:52:35 PM4/11/23
a...@zimage.comANT (Ant) writes:
[swap space]
> Actually, do I even need it with 16 GB of RAM now?

I have 16GB RAM and I don't need swap, but it depends on your usage.

Don't swap to a HDD; that's so slow that you usually prefer to not
have swap space and instead let the OOM killer kill some process.

Some people worry about wearing out an SSD with swapping. If you
don't swap frequently, there is no chance of that. And even if you
swap all the time, it's unlikely that you will wear out the SSD.

We have swapping to /dev/zram0 on one of our SBCs (where the bandwidth
to the SD-card is extremely slow). Have not had problems with it yet,
but with a fast SSD, if I went for swap, I would swap to the SSD.

- anton
an...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at Most things have to be believed to be seen

Computer Nerd Kev

Apr 11, 2023, 5:48:21 PM4/11/23
Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:
> Computer Nerd Kev <n...@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>
>> > Actually, do I even need it with 16 GB of RAM now?
>> > I did on the former PC with 2 GB of RAM.
>
>> Well that depends entirely on what your doing. I've got a PC with
>> 2GB of RAM where I don't think it's ever really used the swap
>> space (which is good because it's compressed in RAM, so pretty much
>> a last resort), so it depends entirely on what you do with it. That
>> PC does run current Firefox (with various extra performance
>> settings like a reduced limit on the maximum number of tabs that
>> are kept loaded at once).
>
> Wow with 2 GB of RAM? My former PC struggled badly with 2 GB of RAM. It
> runs out of RAM and then starts using my swap partition a lot. :(

I'd guess you're running a bloated window manager and other
background tasks that chew up your RAM before you actually do
anything. Personally I use JWM as a window manager and after
booting to the desktop there's less than 100MB of RAM used, so
whatever I want to run has 1.9GB to play with. That's enough for
anything I'm doing, but besides Firefox I do most things with
very lightweight software.

>> A swap file is also an option, but either way I really wouldn't
>> want to be wearing out an SSD with swap activity so I'd go with
>> the compressed swap in RAM if in doubt about whether I could
>> chew through 16GBs of RAM. Worst is an error condition where a
>> process eats up all the RAM, swaps your SSD to death, then freezes
>> up the whole machine so that you have to restart anyway.
>
> How does this compressed swap thing work to setup? That's news to
> me.

I haven't set it up in a Systemd-based distro myself, but here's
the page about it on the Debian Wiki which suggests using
"zram-tools":
https://wiki.debian.org/ZRam

Computer Nerd Kev

Apr 11, 2023, 6:00:54 PM4/11/23
William Unruh <un...@invalid.ca> wrote:
> The swap in RAM is a bad idea. You are swapping because you ran out of
> ram for your programs, so the swap is eating part of that ram. Silly.

The idea is that it's compressed, so you're effectively freeing
more RAM by compressing the less-active parts. It's really to give
you a bit of buffer space where things start slowing down before
RAM is completely exhausted and the kernel starts killing
(potentially important) processes to keep things going.

> Buy a new disk and put it in. Disks are cheap.

Well not if you've got enough RAM. The compressed swap in RAM is
really to protect against the machine crashing if you make a
mistake or trigger a bug in something, you don't want to be using
it all the time. Swap space on disk is much the same. If you find
your computer always reading/writing to swap then obviously
installing more RAM is better than getting another hard drive.

William Unruh

Apr 11, 2023, 9:59:28 PM4/11/23
On 2023-04-11, Anton Ertl <an...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> a...@zimage.comANT (Ant) writes:
> [swap space]
>> Actually, do I even need it with 16 GB of RAM now?
>
> I have 16GB RAM and I don't need swap, but it depends on your usage.

Maybe, maybe not. If your machine is on all the time, or if you do not
mind waiting 30 sec to boot up to a bare new desktop, then that is true.
However if you want to hibernate or sleep, then the swap is where the
present state of your system is stored, so that when you turn on, 5 sec
later you can be working on what you were working before. Ie, you will
want swap to be at least the size of your memory (16GB in your case).
Hard drive (inclusing SSD) can remember stuff for a long time. RAm for a
few milliseconds without refreshing.

Anton Ertl

Apr 12, 2023, 4:24:01 AM4/12/23
William Unruh <un...@invalid.ca> writes:
>Maybe, maybe not. If your machine is on all the time, or if you do not
>mind waiting 30 sec to boot up to a bare new desktop, then that is true.
>However if you want to hibernate or sleep, then the swap is where the
>present state of your system is stored, so that when you turn on, 5 sec
>later you can be working on what you were working before.

"Sleep" seems to be a Windows term for what is usually called
"suspend" in the Linux world. Suspend keeps the state in RAM and does
not need swap space. For "suspend" the computer needs to be powered
on, however, and it draws some power. For my laptop with 40GB RAM and
a 60Wh battery it's a little less than 1% of the battery charge per
hour, i.e., <0.6W, but for desktop computers it can be more
significant.

Hibernate stores the state on the SSD or HDD (and needs swap space for
that), and does not need power, but on restarting the computer it goes
through BIOS and GRUB, just like ordinary booting. As for the rest, I
just measured my desktop, and it takes 10s from when GRUB decides what
to boot until my desktop is ready.

If you want to hibernate, I would certainly recommend to put the swap
space on an SSD rather than an HDD (and obviously not zram).

songbird

Apr 12, 2023, 8:45:15 AM4/12/23
William Unruh wrote:
> On 2023-04-11, Anton Ertl <an...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>> a...@zimage.comANT (Ant) writes:
>> [swap space]
>>> Actually, do I even need it with 16 GB of RAM now?
>>
>> I have 16GB RAM and I don't need swap, but it depends on your usage.
>
> Maybe, maybe not. If your machine is on all the time, or if you do not
> mind waiting 30 sec to boot up to a bare new desktop, then that is true.

30 seconds is a very long boot time in today's SSD based
systems. of course it also depends upon how many seconds
delay you bake in for your bootloaders. on my system with
a few second delay to give me a chance to change things if
needed i still boot my system in less than four seconds.

> However if you want to hibernate or sleep, then the swap is where the
> present state of your system is stored, so that when you turn on, 5 sec
> later you can be working on what you were working before. Ie, you will
> want swap to be at least the size of your memory (16GB in your case).
> Hard drive (inclusing SSD) can remember stuff for a long time. RAm for a
> few milliseconds without refreshing.

as usual you do need to know the intended use of the
machine before getting a more accurate idea of how to
set it up.

in my case i do not leave the system running all
night when i'm not using it so each morning i boot it
up and then i do my updates and then sometimes i
reboot again because i do want the most recent
changes to be running and i don't want to be surprised
the next day if something hasn't quite gotten set up
correctly (a very rare happening).

songbird

Ant

Apr 12, 2023, 12:48:53 PM4/12/23
songbird <song...@anthive.com> wrote:
> William Unruh wrote:
> > On 2023-04-11, Anton Ertl <an...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> >> a...@zimage.comANT (Ant) writes:
> >> [swap space]
> >>
> >> I have 16GB RAM and I don't need swap, but it depends on your usage.
> >
> > Maybe, maybe not. If your machine is on all the time, or if you do not
> > mind waiting 30 sec to boot up to a bare new desktop, then that is true.

> 30 seconds is a very long boot time in today's SSD based
> systems. of course it also depends upon how many seconds
> delay you bake in for your bootloaders. on my system with
> a few second delay to give me a chance to change things if
> needed i still boot my system in less than four seconds.

Mine only took six seconds from grub to my X login screen in my upgraded
Debian PC! Shutdown is even faster like a second. Crazy! Motherboard, CPU, etc. are not new too!

> > However if you want to hibernate or sleep, then the swap is where the
> > present state of your system is stored, so that when you turn on, 5 sec
> > later you can be working on what you were working before. Ie, you will
> > want swap to be at least the size of your memory (16GB in your case).
> > Hard drive (inclusing SSD) can remember stuff for a long time. RAm for a
> > few milliseconds without refreshing.

> as usual you do need to know the intended use of the
> machine before getting a more accurate idea of how to
> set it up.

> in my case i do not leave the system running all
> night when i'm not using it so each morning i boot it
> up and then i do my updates and then sometimes i
> reboot again because i do want the most recent
> changes to be running and i don't want to be surprised
> the next day if something hasn't quite gotten set up
> correctly (a very rare happening).

For mine, I keep it 24/7.
--
"Hate evil, love good; maintain justice in the courts. Perhaps the LORD God Almighty will have mercy on the remnant of Joseph." --Amos 5:15. Will hump day be quiet even though minor unexpectations (5h of Z, ELN, colony, etc.) came up?

Anssi Saari

Apr 13, 2023, 3:24:50 AM4/13/23
songbird <song...@anthive.com> writes:

> 30 seconds is a very long boot time in today's SSD based
> systems. of course it also depends upon how many seconds
> delay you bake in for your bootloaders. on my system with
> a few second delay to give me a chance to change things if
> needed i still boot my system in less than four seconds.

At least desktop systems often like to take their time before booting
and needlessly like to wait for spinning media to come up too. So from
Grub to login screen/prompt four secs seems reasonable but with
bios/uefi delay and grub delay 30 secs seems reasonable.

I remember in the good old days there were some motherboard reviews that
measured the time from power on to bootloader and I think I picked some
MSI board based on that. Socket A era over two decades ago, probably.

songbird

Apr 13, 2023, 11:28:39 AM4/13/23
Ant wrote:
> For mine, I keep it 24/7.

then boot time isn't as critical, it really isn't
for me either, but it is quite a contrast to what
was happening before. :)

trimming bios boot delays and grub boot timeouts
will bring it down if you really want it to be faster.

i'm ok with the change. i only have one spinning
disk drive now and that is used rarely and not during
booting so i don't have to wait for it. useful as a
backup drive once in a while.

songbird

Ant

Apr 13, 2023, 9:27:22 PM4/13/23
songbird <song...@anthive.com> wrote:
> Ant wrote:
> > For mine, I keep it 24/7.

> then boot time isn't as critical, it really isn't
> for me either, but it is quite a contrast to what
> was happening before. :)

> trimming bios boot delays and grub boot timeouts
> will bring it down if you really want it to be faster.

It's fast enough. How often do I shut down and reboot? Rarely like OS
upgrades like for kernels, hardware changes (more rare), etc.

> i'm ok with the change. i only have one spinning
> disk drive now and that is used rarely and not during
> booting so i don't have to wait for it. useful as a
> backup drive once in a while.

I use my 5 TB HDD for storage and backups.
--
"Man is like a breath; his days are like a fleeting shadow." --Psalm 144:4. 7.5h of Z after a slammy winter (still is 2day) hump day with 5h of Z, issues, colony, etc. :) Frontier Day! Picard S3 still rocks.

Ant

Apr 13, 2023, 9:28:56 PM4/13/23
Anssi Saari <a...@sci.fi> wrote:
> songbird <song...@anthive.com> writes:

> > 30 seconds is a very long boot time in today's SSD based
> > systems. of course it also depends upon how many seconds
> > delay you bake in for your bootloaders. on my system with
> > a few second delay to give me a chance to change things if
> > needed i still boot my system in less than four seconds.

> At least desktop systems often like to take their time before booting
> and needlessly like to wait for spinning media to come up too. So from
> Grub to login screen/prompt four secs seems reasonable but with
> bios/uefi delay and grub delay 30 secs seems reasonable.

If we're including BIOS/UEFI boot up, then add maybe ten seconds on my
end. Again, not a big deal since it's so rare. Hey, I need to press F7
key to CMOS since I'm slow! ;)

> I remember in the good old days there were some motherboard reviews that
> measured the time from power on to bootloader and I think I picked some
> MSI board based on that. Socket A era over two decades ago, probably.

I just retired my MSI mobo. with its Intel quadcore CPU. I don't know if
that is socket A. Hardwares are not my area.