HDMI and Debian "Squeeze"

lrhorer

Apr 24, 2010, 11:08:52 PM4/24/10

I am attempting to set up a Debian "Squeeze" system attached to a Dell
flatscreen monitor and an Optoma HD81 projector. I'm running kernel
2.6.32-3-amd64 on an Asus M4A785-M motherboard with a 3 GHz AMD Athlon
64 x 2 CPU. The Dell is attached via VGA, and the Optoma via HDMI.
Under Gnome,I couldn't get the HDMI output to work at all, although
admittedly I did not really play around with it much in Gnome. Under
KDE, I was able to get both monitors to display the desktop, but I
could not get the projector display to go above 1280 x 720 (720p). The
highest setting selectable under either desktop manager for the HDMI
port is 1280 x 720, and it won't allow anything but a 60Hz refresh.

In order to get it to work above 1024 x 768 at all, I had to disable
the HDMI port, set the VGA port to 1920 x 1200, and then enable the
HDMI port at 1280 x 720. At 720p, the desktop doesn't even take up half
the screen (44.4%, to be precise). What's worse, the desktop is
mirrored pixel for pixel on the HDMI screen, so the right hand side and
the bottom of the desktop (where the taskbar is!) are missing on the
projector. I know both the projector and the PC are capable of
displaying 1920 horizontal pixels simultaneously on both monitors,
because I can boot to Windows XP Pro 64 and get it to work. (Actually,
it displays 1920 x 1080 on both, and the VGA monitor cuts off the right
hand side of the window, but I can live with that.) If it helps, I
don't really care whether the VGA desktop is cloned on the HDMI
desktop, or if they carry different content, as long as I can have
either screen take the focus and bring up the taskbar.

Mark Hobley

Apr 25, 2010, 3:13:04 AM4/25/10
lrhorer <lrh...@satx.rr.com> wrote:

> I am attempting to set up a Debian "Squeeze" system attached to a Dell
> flatscreen monitor and an Optoma HD81 projector.
>
> In order to get it to work above 1024 x 768 at all, I had to disable
> the HDMI port, set the VGA port to 1920 x 120

> projector. I know both the projector and the PC are capable of

> displaying 1920 horizontal pixels simultaneously on both monitors,
> because I can boot to Windows XP Pro 64 and get it to work.

Some manufacturers require DRM to be used on the HDMI input, preventing the
use of high resolutions for unprotected content. (Windows XP has the
capability of outputting a DRM protected signal, so would work normally.)

Could this be your problem?

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

Anton Ertl

Apr 25, 2010, 5:48:32 AM4/25/10
lrhorer <lrh...@satx.rr.com> writes:

> I am attempting to set up a Debian "Squeeze" system attached to a Dell
>flatscreen monitor and an Optoma HD81 projector. I'm running kernel
>2.6.32-3-amd64 on an Asus M4A785-M motherboard with a 3 GHz AMD Athlon
>64 x 2 CPU. The Dell is attached via VGA, and the Optoma via HDMI.
>Under Gnome,I couldn't get the HDMI output to work at all, although
>admittedly I did not really play around with it much in Gnome. Under
>KDE, I was able to get both monitors to display the desktop, but I
>could not get the projector display to go above 1280 x 720 (720p). The
>highest setting selectable under either desktop manager for the HDMI
>port is 1280 x 720, and it won't allow anything but a 60Hz refresh.

Take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and maybe post it here.

Also, show the output of xrandr.

- anton
an...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at Most things have to be believed to be seen