IV down again

Monsieur Bobo

Jun 28, 2010, 4:52:14 PM6/28/10
why is it again that everybody prefers IV to this group for SCO news?

Harold Stevens

Jun 28, 2010, 5:57:55 PM6/28/10
In: <i0b1uh$7r5$1...@news.eternal-september.org> Monsieur Bobo:

> why is it again that everybody prefers IV to this group for SCO news?

IMO, it might be the more ready access to web archives (stock quotes, SEC
filings, Groklaw, Jeffro droppings, etc.) from browsers generally.

I like Usenet for this sort of traffic, but it's obviously not everbody's
cup of tea.

I toss GoogleGroup (http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/).

John Jacq

Jun 28, 2010, 6:46:23 PM6/28/10
On Jun 29, 6:52 am, Monsieur Bobo <spammagn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> why is it again that everybody prefers IV to this group for SCO news?

Well usenet used to be real good, and I still view it often with pine
at home, but when it comes to posting I have to do all sort of
gymnastics so I can put in a bogus email address.

Or else I have to use google groups as I'm doing now...but it leaves a
lot to be desired too.

Any filters I have set in Pine also slows the damn thing down to a
crawl.

So IV is not the best but neither is usenet in my opinion (though I
use it for reading).

JJJacq

cs

Jun 28, 2010, 9:20:05 PM6/28/10
On 28.06.2010 21:52, Monsieur Bobo wrote:
> why is it again that everybody prefers IV to this group for SCO news?

Usenet may not be the best for all or the one solution that fits all,
but it's pretty good at most things, so i agree with you on that.
the IV boards are quite klunky, and i wonder what they will come up with
as an excuse this time, for the thing going down...

They should have stayed away from the windows boxes to drive the thing,
but i guess, if you pay for windows, you know you will pay for it again,
but this time in terms of disaster recovery and support to figure out
the capacity problems.

IV has been quite shaky for quite some time, and i don't think they are
doing that well, to be honest...
Compare GL, that has quite a load, and has been down, what is it? a few
times?
Once with a disc controller failure, and the rest a couple of screwups
with an overloaded mysql server. (too few connections allowed).

Dickon Hood

Jul 2, 2010, 4:28:21 PM7/2/10
In article <i0b1uh$7r5$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, Monsieur Bobo <spamm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
: why is it again that everybody prefers IV to this group for SCO news?

Because people are stupid.

This is an attitude that has served me well over the years.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible. We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.

Dickon Hood

Jul 2, 2010, 4:30:02 PM7/2/10
In article <i0bhmf$9kc$1...@adenine.netfront.net>, cs <n...@pix.bz> wrote:
: Compare GL, that has quite a load, and has been down, what is it? a few
: times?

GL has the advantage of a very impressive hosting capabilities. Don't
forget: GL isn't managed by Her Nibs.

cs

Jul 5, 2010, 5:43:53 PM7/5/10
On 02.07.2010 21:30, Dickon Hood wrote:
> In article<i0bhmf$9kc$1...@adenine.netfront.net>, cs<n...@pix.bz> wrote:
> : Compare GL, that has quite a load, and has been down, what is it? a few
> : times?
>
> GL has the advantage of a very impressive hosting capabilities. Don't
> forget: GL isn't managed by Her Nibs.

They are since quite some time, running on one server that has been
provided by HP (thanks HP!)