Stability, More or Less

b...@entropy.tmok.com

Mar 19, 2010, 8:34:00 PM3/19/10
"Investor Village is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance to upgrade
our servers and will be down until approx. 11 pm ET. Thank you for your
patience."

This would not be so bad if the site ran on a real OS.

--
BMO

Harold Stevens

Mar 19, 2010, 9:44:44 PM3/19/10
In <slrnhq85v...@entropy.tmok.com> bmo:

[Snip...]

> This would not be so bad if the site ran on a real OS

FWIW...

Netcraft What's That Site Running Results
http://investorvillage.com was running Microsoft-IIS on Windows Server
2003 when last queried at 20-Mar-2010 01:23:28 GMT

I guess what frustrates me so much is Blue et al seem to keep running
into PHB stonewalling in even considering ABM (Anything But M$).

That's what ISTR from threads and feedback but I certainly don't have
any solid evidence about the IV backend office politics.

M$ evidently is *NOT* an answer, but I don't think that's what any of
the "monetizing" mob mangling sites like IV want to hear.

I toss GoogleGroup (http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/).

Anthony

Mar 20, 2010, 12:32:03 AM3/20/10
krsaborio wrote:
>> This would not be so bad if the site ran on a real OS.
>
> Like Linux?
>
> Linux began to perform well in 2002 thanks to all the intellectual
> property developers stole from Unix.

Prove it.

Prove it or stop libelling.

Show us the code.

Show us "the millions of lines."

You can not.

You can not because they are not there.

SCO can not show them because discovery is closed in SCO v. IBM.

If you do not understand what that means, ask your lawyer.

Stop the libel or show us the code.

Dickon Hood

Mar 20, 2010, 2:16:49 AM3/20/10
Harold Stevens <woo...@aces.localdomain> wrote:
> In <slrnhq85v...@entropy.tmok.com> bmo:

> [Snip...]

>> This would not be so bad if the site ran on a real OS

> FWIW...

> Netcraft What's That Site Running Results
> http://investorvillage.com was running Microsoft-IIS on Windows Server
> 2003 when last queried at 20-Mar-2010 01:23:28 GMT

> I guess what frustrates me so much is Blue et al seem to keep running
> into PHB stonewalling in even considering ABM (Anything But M$).

I got the impression there weren't all that many members of staff. I
assumed there'd be one ad sales, one sysadmin, and a developer; that's
probably two more than you really need, if you're working with a sensible
framework

> That's what ISTR from threads and feedback but I certainly don't have
> any solid evidence about the IV backend office politics.

> M$ evidently is *NOT* an answer, but I don't think that's what any of
> the "monetizing" mob mangling sites like IV want to hear.

No, indeed. I did some work for a startup (although one with heaps of
post-crash money, which is one reason they could afford my consulting
rates) where Oracle was installed as the database because 'that's what we
need for the IPO due dilligence' (unquote, more or less). This was before
Sun's acquisition turned MySQL from a toy into a $1Bn entity that clueless
finance types could see was usable (and without changing a single line of
code! Amazing...), and I suspect the story would be different now, but I
have a feeling you're right about IV.

All this, of course, whilst running Apache on Linux (and Solaris)...

--
Dickon Hood

Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible. We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.

Harold Stevens

Mar 20, 2010, 6:55:11 AM3/20/10
In <ho1p8h$kai$1...@news.eternal-september.org> Dickon Hood:

[Snip...]

> probably two more than you really need

I too shared that impression at times; at other times, something about
some message traffic (my very fuzzy memory at "work" here) gave me the
vague impression the actual worker bees weren't the primary playas.

I completely agree about a properly designed and provisioned site with
this potential audience shouldn't have these repeated outages.

I mean fercryinoutloud, even Groklaw had some growing pains, but after
a time it kept humming, even during demand spikes.

IMO it's another way of saying FOSS attracts services and personnel in
the fray more for principles than merely "monetizing" the cosmos. That
does *NOT* imply Blue et al are either incompetent or greedy. IMO they
have been caught (for whatever reason) in a Borg vortex.

> clueless finance types

This is one of the main reasons I "retired" years ago, and mayby why I
have such a vague paranoia about the IV backend office politics. Occam
and my total frustration with inept fools suggest somebody beside Blue
and the clued are actually calling the critical shots at IV.

> All this, of course, whilst running Apache on Linux (and Solaris)...

FWIW: I put my money where my mouth is. I do *NOT* do any of my online
serious (to me) money transactions through internet-facing M$ servers.

Nick Andrew

Mar 20, 2010, 11:23:09 PM3/20/10
krsaborio <in...@intercom.co.cr> writes:

>> This would not be so bad if the site ran on a real OS.

>Like Linux?

>Linux began to perform well in 2002 thanks to all the intellectual
>property developers stole from Unix.

You are either a troll, or Darl. Put up or shut up. Download OpenSolaris
off Sun's website, identify which Linux code is copied from which
OpenSolaris code, and post the details here. By file, version and
line. We'll wait. Otherwise you're full of hot air.

Nick.

b...@entropy.tmok.com

Mar 21, 2010, 12:21:55 AM3/21/10
On 2010-03-21, Nick Andrew <ni...@spamtrap.nick-andrew.net> wrote:
> krsaborio <in...@intercom.co.cr> writes:
>
>>> This would not be so bad if the site ran on a real OS.
>
>>Like Linux?
>
>>Linux began to perform well in 2002 thanks to all the intellectual
>>property developers stole from Unix.
>
> You are either a troll, or Darl. Put up or shut up. Download OpenSolaris

He is neither. He is a netk00k. There is a differnce. Know it. It may
one day save your life.

Sad really. As far as netk00ks go, he's not nearly as creative as the
greats like Archimedes Pl*tonium, or even Steve Boursey or Dr. John Grubor JD
(Disbarred).

Even Jaime Baillie looks like a fucking genius, comparatively.

--
BMO

eaglealan64

Mar 21, 2010, 10:38:24 AM3/21/10
On Mar 20, 1:44 am, Harold Stevens <woo...@aces.localdomain> wrote:
> I guess what frustrates me so much is Blue et al seem to keep running into PHB stonewalling in even considering ABM (Anything But M$).

Blue is the owner, Boss and PHB. The problem, apart from the PHB view
that M$ is a reasonable technical solution, is lock-in - they have
made bad technology choices and the switching costs are huge (that's
the way M$ likes it of course). He would need to get the whole site re-
written in a non-MS language and DB format.

We all know that's the long-term answer but he's trying to keep things
going when money is tight.

cs

May 12, 2010, 10:34:12 AM5/12/10
On 20.03.2010 00:53, krsaborio wrote:
>> This would not be so bad if the site ran on a real OS.
>
> Like Linux?
>
> Linux began to perform well in 2002 thanks to all the intellectual
> property developers stole from Unix.

I have been running Linux on commercial servers for quite some time,
even before 2002, and has had nothing to complain about in regards of
stability.

You claim that people stole intellectual property left right and center,
and placed it in Linux? Evidence of this, please!

It has on the other hand, been shown in the past that Microsoft for
example, used parts of the BSD code covered by the MIT license, which
requires attribution, in their network stack, withour giving such
attribution.

I think it's pretty safe to say that the chances of open code ending up
in proprietary products and being used illegally, is far greater than
closed code ending up in open products, and them open products getting
away with it.

It's always easy to make a claim, if you don't dare to back suck claims
up, and if you don't? Well, you end up being classified as the local
village moron, who perhaps should, but doesn't know any better.
People just don't take them for real.

Ideas or concepts can not be copyrighted, only a specific implementation
of the same can.
The fact that one product shares similarities and behavior with another,
does not make it "theft".

If i write up a piece of code that does things in the same way as
another piece of code does it, but has a different method of doing it,
this will not be theft or even infringement in terms of copyrights.
Patents may be a different thing tho, but that is a separate matter, and
none of this code is covered by patents.

// CS

Message has been deleted