IV busted again

b...@entropy.tmok.com

Apr 12, 2010, 8:33:56 AM4/12/10
One of these days Blue is going to come over from the Dark Side because he's
tired of Windows vomiting on its own shoes.

--
BMO

Dickon Hood

Apr 12, 2010, 10:01:06 AM4/12/10
In article <slrnhs64p...@entropy.tmok.com>, b...@entropy.tmok.com wrote:
: One of these days Blue is going to come over from the Dark Side because he's

: tired of Windows vomiting on its own shoes.

I have my doubts.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible. We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.

Harold Stevens

Apr 12, 2010, 11:49:40 AM4/12/10
In <hpv932$fm8$1...@news.eternal-september.org> Dickon Hood:

[Snip...]

> I have my doubts

My take: I'm grateful I don't have to put up with that M$ BS anymore.

I toss GoogleGroup (http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/).

Dickon Hood

Apr 13, 2010, 9:01:09 AM4/13/10
In article <slrnhs6g8k...@jimbo.localdomain>, Harold Stevens <woo...@jimbo.localdomain> wrote:
: In <hpv932$fm8$1...@news.eternal-september.org> Dickon Hood:

: [Snip...]

: > I have my doubts

: My take: I'm grateful I don't have to put up with that M$ BS anymore.

Never use a toy to do a serious job.

Brent Stone

Apr 13, 2010, 9:36:38 AM4/13/10
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:01:09 +0000, Dickon Hood wrote:

> In article <slrnhs6g8k...@jimbo.localdomain>, Harold Stevens
> <woo...@jimbo.localdomain> wrote: : In
> <hpv932$fm8$1...@news.eternal-september.org> Dickon Hood:
>
> : [Snip...]
>
> : > I have my doubts
>
> : My take: I'm grateful I don't have to put up with that M$ BS anymore.
>
> Never use a toy to do a serious job.

It's too bad that the "owner" of UNIX has gone and tried to out BS M$ and
tried to leave the unmaintained remnants of what used to be a good
operating system pretty much unusable.

From http://sco.com/scosource "to this day" they are still claiming that:

SCO is the owner of the UNIX Operating System Intellectual Property that
dates back to 1969, when the UNIX System was created at AT&T's Bell
Laboratories. Through a series of mergers and acquisitions, SCO has
acquired ownership of the copyrights and core technology associated with
the UNIX System.

Harold Stevens

Apr 13, 2010, 9:54:16 AM4/13/10
In <hq1s16$mcl$1...@news.eternal-september.org> Brent Stone:

[Snip...]

> operating system pretty much unusable

My take: had I worked with/in old SCO, it's naked betrayal. Caveat emptor.

> "to this day" they are still claiming

US "justice" at work. Germany didn't put up with this BS for a minute.

Dickon Hood

Apr 13, 2010, 10:08:00 AM4/13/10
In article <hq1s16$mcl$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, Brent Stone <ikoxuf...@yopmail.com> wrote:

: On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:01:09 +0000, Dickon Hood wrote:
: > In article <slrnhs6g8k...@jimbo.localdomain>, Harold Stevens
: > <woo...@jimbo.localdomain> wrote: : In
: > <hpv932$fm8$1...@news.eternal-september.org> Dickon Hood:

: > : [Snip...]

: > : > I have my doubts

: > : My take: I'm grateful I don't have to put up with that M$ BS anymore.

: > Never use a toy to do a serious job.

: It's too bad that the "owner" of UNIX has gone and tried to out BS M$ and
: tried to leave the unmaintained remnants of what used to be a good
: operating system pretty much unusable.

Nobody has seriously run 'Unix' in years. You've been running Solaris, or
IRIX, or HP-UX, or (gods help you) AIX, or the like. 'Unix' the OS hasn't
really been anything for some time. To my mind, OpenServer died when
Linux 2.2 was capable of running its (static) binaries untouched, which
IIRC was some time in 1995 or 1996. OK, it took quite a while before the
rest of the world caught up, and the realisation that XFree86 owned
something like 80% of X desktops wasn't the kick I expected it to be, but
eventually it happened.

I do not mourn the passing of 'Unix'. I certainly do not mourn the
imminent death of the twitching corpse of that entity we lovingly know as
'The SCO Group'. 'Unix' the pure-bred may well have died a death, but the
principles of it live on, and we're not just saddled with that heap of
shit known as Windows quite yet.

Unix was an OS. GNU/Linux is a multitude of OSes. Windows is a mess.

A quote I picked up from somewhere:

Unix is an operating system with a graphical user inerface bolted on as an
afterthought. Windows is a graphical user interface with an operating
system bolted on as an afterthought.

Not original to me -- I think I picked it up from Usenet about a decade
ago -- but it nicely sums up the state, I think.

Monsieur Bobo

Apr 15, 2010, 6:51:02 PM4/15/10
On 04/13/2010 07:08 AM, Dickon Hood wrote:
> In article<hq1s16$mcl$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, Brent Stone<ikoxuf...@yopmail.com> wrote:
[deleted]

> Unix is an operating system with a graphical user inerface bolted on as an
> afterthought. Windows is a graphical user interface with an operating
> system bolted on as an afterthought.

It's not really true though. Windows started out in a very similar
fashion to X - a graphical shell running on top of DOS. It took
Microsoft a few years to figure out that they had to tightly couple
Windows with the underlying OS because if they did not, they would be
enabling competition from DR-DOS and others. Microsoft has always
believed that eliminating competition is more important than technical
excellence, and it's hard to argue that they were wrong from a financial
point of view.