AMB: Ancient Machine Book

Mateusz Viste

Dec 5, 2020, 12:12:41 PM12/5/20
These past few days I have been working on a new hobby project. It is
called AMB, and it is a simple hyperlink format that makes it possible
to create "books" that are easy to read even on very limited hardware.

The "books" can be viewed with a tool named AMB. It is only a few
kilobytes big and requires about 80K of available RAM.

As a demo, I converted the FreeDOS help today into an AMB book. The AMB
reader, as well as the format specification and the converted FreeDOS
help file can all be downloaded on the project's home page:

http://ambook.sourceforge.net

It is still a very much work-in-progress project, but perfectly
functional already. I will certainly add a few features during incoming
weeks (mouse support, some form of light compression, full-text search,
etc).

I'd like also to compile the RBIL into an AMB book in some near future.

Enjoy.

Mateusz

Kerr-Mudd,John

Dec 5, 2020, 4:58:01 PM12/5/20
Good man; all I'm doing is trying to get an "interactive" calendar program working.

(in x86 asm)
--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

Mateusz Viste

Dec 12, 2020, 8:46:24 AM12/12/20
2020-12-05 at 21:58 -0000, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
> Good man; all I'm doing is trying to get an "interactive" calendar
> program working.
>
> (in x86 asm)

Sounds like there's an AMB book for you then:

http://ambook.sourceforge.net/samples/phpamb.php?fname=8086set.amb

(I am not the author, I merely "converted" it from HTML)

Mateusz

Kerr-Mudd,John

Dec 14, 2020, 5:41:22 AM12/14/20
On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 13:46:22 GMT, Mateusz Viste <mat...@xyz.invalid>
wrote:

> 2020-12-05 at 21:58 -0000, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
>> Good man; all I'm doing is trying to get an "interactive" calendar
>> program working.
>>
>> (in x86 asm)

It's working now; I've posted a debug hexdump over in clax.

> Sounds like there's an AMB book for you then:
>
> http://ambook.sourceforge.net/samples/phpamb.php?fname=8086set.amb
>
> (I am not the author, I merely "converted" it from HTML)

Times out for me (FF 52.9)

Sourceforge went to the Dark Side a few years back. github is 'where it's
at' these days.

> Mateusz

Mateusz Viste

Dec 14, 2020, 8:05:34 AM12/14/20
2020-12-14 at 10:41 -0000, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
> > Sounds like there's an AMB book for you then:
> >
> > http://ambook.sourceforge.net/samples/phpamb.php?fname=8086set.amb
> >
> > (I am not the author, I merely "converted" it from HTML)
> >
> Times out for me (FF 52.9)

Sometimes the SourceForge hosting does that, sometimes it's a blank
page, sometimes if's a 503 error. I guess their web servers are
constantly overloaded. Usually it works again within the hour or so.

> Sourceforge went to the Dark Side a few years back.

You refer to the embedded-ads-in-abandoned-projects thing? This was
many years ago, they recovered since then... or so I have been told.
But they do seem to struggle technically, unable to bear the massive
loads of users/projects/codebases.

> github is 'where it's at' these days.

Yes, I'm aware. But I don't like github. If I had to switch to another
hosting for my OSS projects, I'd probably go with osdn.net.

Mateusz

Mateusz Viste

Dec 14, 2020, 9:57:47 AM12/14/20
2020-12-14 at 14:05 +0100, Mateusz Viste wrote:
> Yes, I'm aware. But I don't like github. If I had to switch to another
> hosting for my OSS projects, I'd probably go with osdn.net.

Sourceforge hosting is still having troubles, so I decided to move AMB
to OSDN right away. New home page:

http://amb.osdn.io/

Mateusz

Kerr-Mudd,John

Dec 14, 2020, 11:19:19 AM12/14/20
On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 14:57:45 GMT, Mateusz Viste <mat...@xyz.invalid>
wrote:
Thnaks, that dl'd; I'll take a look later.

Kerr-Mudd,John

Dec 15, 2020, 6:04:14 AM12/15/20
On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 16:19:18 GMT, "Kerr-Mudd,John" <nots...@127.0.0.1>
wrote:
Ok; In a CMD window under XP:

amb

1st observation 'tab' key doesn't erm tab.

People are going to want to set the colours!

Mateusz Viste

Dec 15, 2020, 8:46:31 AM12/15/20
2020-12-15 at 11:04 -0000, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
> 1st observation 'tab' key doesn't erm tab.

Tab key is supported in the trunk version, to be released in a couple
of days.

> People are going to want to set the colours!

I'm not sure about entirely custom colors, but one or two alternative
color schemes would be nice for sure, yes.

Mateusz