Re: What is the recommended cluster size for an 8gb fat32 freedos partition?

Grant Taylor

Jul 12, 2019, 11:28:19 PM7/12/19
On 7/12/19 3:25 PM, Dan Campbell wrote:
> Hi,

> On the FreeDos side, what should I use as the cluster size, if we're
> formatting fat32, 8 gb?

Is there a reason that you are worrying about it? Or why not just use
the defaults? Are you going to be storing lots and lots of tiny files
and worried about the space that overly large clusters use / waste? Or
are you storing bigger files and want to reduce the number of clusters
they consume?

I expect the defaults will use the smallest cluster size that will work.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Rod Pemberton

Jul 13, 2019, 8:34:46 PM7/13/19
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 14:25:10 -0700 (PDT)
Dan Campbell <dcwh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using EaseUS, and preparing partitions for FreeDos 1.2/1.3, and
> Linux Mint.
>
> On the FreeDos side, what should I use as the cluster size, if we're
> formatting fat32, 8 gb?

This question comes up so often that I get tired of answering it in
various DOS groups.

GIYF:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/140365/default-cluster-size-for-ntfs-fat-and-exfat

I.e., you're right on the boundary between 4KB and 8KB cluster. Your
formatting tools will likely automatically select one for you, probably
8KB.

From my personal experience with FAT32 (MS-DOS), larger cluster sizes
really chews up a lot of space, especially if you have large quantities
of very small files, e.g., text files, images, etc. If you're mostly
applications and videos, then go for the larger size, if your tools
allow you to select.

Rod Pemberton
--
Once upon a time, many decades ago in a place far away, humble people
sought their freedom, and lost. "Ideas are bulletproof."

Grant Taylor

Jul 14, 2019, 12:35:55 AM7/14/19
On 7/13/19 6:37 PM, Rod Pemberton wrote:
> From my personal experience with FAT32 (MS-DOS), larger cluster sizes
> really chews up a lot of space, especially if you have large quantities
> of very small files, e.g., text files, images, etc. If you're mostly
> applications and videos, then go for the larger size, if your tools
> allow you to select.

I remember being amazed the first time I saw the cluster waste graph
that Partition Magic would show and doubly so when I actually understood it.