Msdos on athlon xp 1500+ palomino

gryfo

Jun 1, 2018, 10:59:05 AM6/1/18
Hello,
as object I would like to install the msdos but with the fear that there
may be overheating. I did some virtual tests on another pc and actually
cpu goes hot during its use. Now the question is: on a cpu as object, if
I install the dos (not in virtual) could be affected? I'm not able to
find a cpu monitor for dos to check it.
Excuse for bad english.

Thank you.

Grant Taylor

Jun 1, 2018, 12:27:43 PM6/1/18
On 06/01/2018 08:59 AM, gryfo wrote:
> as object I would like to install the msdos but with the fear that there
> may be overheating.

MS-DOS does not know about the HALT instruction and as such ends up in a
small loop at full speed.

There are various 3rd party add-ons that you can use, like DOS-Idle, to
add this functionality to DOS.

I've used DOS-Idle.exe and it's NetWare counterpart dos-idle.nlm with
great success.

I think that you will find this eliminates what you're concerned about.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

news18

Jun 1, 2018, 9:25:11 PM6/1/18
History of this computer?
Is it something you have built up?
Do you use plenty of heat sink paste?
Does the cpu have a heat sink and fan on it?
No heat sink, heat paste and fan and it will die very quickly.

johnso...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2018, 4:58:44 AM7/6/18
Following the thread and download "DOSIDLE v2.51":

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=43384

Works fine!

Rgds,
Johnson.

[ Home of Ultra-DMA + Read Ahead cache + SATA DVD-ROM drivers for DOS ]

Ivan Shmakov

Jul 19, 2018, 2:24:47 AM7/19/18

>> as object I would like to install the msdos but with the fear that
>> there may be overheating.

> MS-DOS does not know about the HALT instruction and as such ends up
> in a small loop at full speed.

> There are various 3rd party add-ons that you can use, like DOS-Idle,
> to add this functionality to DOS.

> I've used DOS-Idle.exe and it's NetWare counterpart dos-idle.nlm with
> great success.

FWIW, I've used FreeDOS "fdapm apmdos" command to the same effect.

[1] fdapm // FreeDOS commands.
URI: http://help.fdos.org/en/hhstndrd/base/fdapm.htm

> I think that you will find this eliminates what you're concerned about.

Unfortunately, a lot of software, especially games, avoid DOS
calls and run their own busy loops instead, which may or may not
use HLT.

--
FSF associate member #7257 http://am-1.org/~ivan/