freeDOS networking with Broadcom 4401, 440x "bootimage"

Jonas Thörnvall

Jan 12, 2021, 12:31:36 AMJan 12
I have this old Dell "Dimension 2400" that i try get up running network in DOS.
I do not think that the install network during freeDOS support it.

The NIC i try to get running and search a bootimage for is a Broadcom 4401
"440x".

On the other hand i think i have the files needed to get both IP stack and NetBEUI/IPX running, although i am not clear howto actually configure the Protocol.ini, Autoexec.bat and Config.sys it seem to differ alot between drivers.
DEVICE=\net\protman.dos /I:\net
DEVICE=\net\dis_pkt.dos
DEVICE=\net\B44.dos

I managed to download dis_pkt.dos "how do i know it is really for my NIC?
And followed this instruction on howto config by somone claiming to get the Dimension 2400 working, but i just can't get net working.
https://www.dell.com/community/Networking-Internet-
Bluetooth/Broadcom-4400-and-Dimension-2400-bootable-floppy-for-ghost/td-p/2423597

To bad there is no respitory with "freeDOS bootimages" for different NICS
I also read the way to go is to generate a windows NT floppy, which i did not quite follow.

Do anyone have a working freedDOS bootimage with 440x NIC support?
I am also looking for LSL.COM version 2.11 "or later", which seem required by the ODI driver.

Kerr-Mudd,John

Jan 12, 2021, 7:04:08 AMJan 12
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 05:31:35 GMT, =?UTF-8?Q?Jonas_Th=C3=B6rnvall?=
<jonas.t...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have this old Dell "Dimension 2400" that i try get up running
> network in DOS. I do not think that the install network during freeDOS
> support it.

[]
> Do anyone have a working freedDOS bootimage with 440x NIC support?
> I am also looking for LSL.COM version 2.11 "or later", which seem
> required by the ODI driver.

I don't know; there are universal boot disk images out there; I expect my
ghost boot disk (MSDOS though) could be made to work, but it's been a
long long time.

http://www.netbootdisk.com/cards.htm

I'd go for USB boot though.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

Kerr-Mudd,John

Jan 12, 2021, 11:08:02 AMJan 12
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 12:04:07 GMT, "Kerr-Mudd,John" <nots...@127.0.0.1>
wrote:
Sorry, this looks as if I'm claiming to be the creator of netbookdisk;
sorry for the wrong impression.