GRUB Commands

Paul Hulme

Jun 16, 2021, 4:20:36 PMJun 16
Hi All,

I use grub to boot into my multiboot kernel:

Root (fd0)
Kernel /krnl.x

I know this is probably an obvious one, is it possible to use GRUB to load other files (modules/ramdisk...) , and pass their location to the kernel? prior to it booting, so that grub basiaclly loads things like KERNEL FILE1 FILE2 FILE3.........

i know that their is the initrd command but that relies on a linux Kernel being loaded

Thanks :-)

Rod Pemberton

Jun 16, 2021, 7:35:02 PMJun 16
I'm not real familiar with grub, other than I was going to use it to
start my OS.

For Linux, there is a command grub-mkconfig that sets the command line
in the grub.cfg file in /boot/grub/ directory.

As for DOS, i.e., GRUB4DOS, I have no idea.

So, I'd mostly have to refer you to the manual. The first link lists
and the second one explains.

https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/html_node/Command_002dline-and-menu-entry-commands.html
https://web.mit.edu/rhel-doc/3/rhel-rg-en-3/s1-grub-commands.html

There are some interesting commands there that may interest you, like
"boot" "chainloader" "initrd" "insmod" "linux" "loopback" "module"
"multiboot"

e.g., "initrd" stands for init ramdisk, "insmod" for insert module.

--
What is hidden in the ground, when found, is hidden there again?