music on iphone

muta...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2021, 11:45:22 PMJun 19
Apparently the iphone doesn't allow you to transfer
your own MP3 songs and play them. You need to
buy them again or watch them on Youtube.

It is amazing that an OS vendor can do whatever
the hell they want. Your only recourse is 2 cans
and a piece of string.

But Bochs runs on the iphone.

I was wondering if you can have an music player
on Freedos that drives a soundblaster card or
whatever which Bochs handles and that is able
to drive the iphone audio.

How far down the rabbit hole are we? We haven't
even secured Sony Walkman technology. People
can no longer play their own music.

Thanks. Paul.

Rod Pemberton

Jun 19, 2021, 11:53:55 PMJun 19
On Sat, 19 Jun 2021 20:45:21 -0700 (PDT)
"muta...@gmail.com" <muta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Apparently the iphone doesn't allow you to transfer
> your own MP3 songs and play them. You need to
> buy them again or watch them on Youtube.

Not even via a USB cable? ...

That's how I got them onto my phone, but it's
a cheap old thing.

--
What is hidden in the ground, when found, is hidden there again?

Grant Taylor

Jun 20, 2021, 12:40:08 AMJun 20
On 6/19/21 9:45 PM, muta...@gmail.com wrote:
> Apparently the iphone doesn't allow you to transfer your own MP3 songs
> and play them. You need to buy them again or watch them on Youtube.

I don't know what you're doing wrong, but I listen to my own mp3s on my
iPhone all the time, weekly, if not daily.

> It is amazing that an OS vendor can do whatever the hell they
> want. Your only recourse is 2 cans and a piece of string.

That's not your only recourse. Jail break the iPhone and do whatever
you want on it.

> I was wondering if you can have an music player on Freedos that drives
> a soundblaster card or whatever which Bochs handles and that is able
> to drive the iphone audio.

I have no idea.

> How far down the rabbit hole are we?

I've not needed to go anywhere near it.

> We haven't even secured Sony Walkman technology. People can no longer
> play their own music.

Bull shit. I know multiple people other than myself that do it all the
time.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

muta...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2021, 12:54:58 AMJun 20
On Sunday, June 20, 2021 at 2:40:08 PM UTC+10, Grant Taylor wrote:

> > We haven't even secured Sony Walkman technology. People can no longer
> > play their own music.

> Bull shit. I know multiple people other than myself that do it all the
> time.

Ok, it's an iphone 10. If you think it is possible to do on
that, I'll ask my wife to show me a specific error she
gets when she tries to play her own MP3 file. I got my
info from her. I don't have a smartphone.

BFN. Paul.

Joe Monk

Jun 20, 2021, 4:57:49 AMJun 20

> Ok, it's an iphone 10. If you think it is possible to do on
> that, I'll ask my wife to show me a specific error she
> gets when she tries to play her own MP3 file. I got my
> info from her. I don't have a smartphone.

You have to load them via Apple Music or iTunes/ and sync them.

https://support.apple.com/lt-lt/guide/mac-help/mchlde9a31f1/mac

Joe

Rod Pemberton

Jun 21, 2021, 5:34:18 PMJun 21
On Sat, 19 Jun 2021 23:55:15 -0500
Rod Pemberton <noe...@basdxcqvbe.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 2021 20:45:21 -0700 (PDT)
> "muta...@gmail.com" <muta...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Apparently the iphone doesn't allow you to transfer
> > your own MP3 songs and play them. You need to
> > buy them again or watch them on Youtube.
>
> Not even via a USB cable? ...
>
> That's how I got them onto my phone, but it's
> a cheap old thing.

How do you get photo's off of the phone?
USB cable or email? If you move photo's
off of the phone via USB cable, then you
should be able to load MP3's from CD's you
own, onto the phone, via USB cable from
a PC.

Rod Pemberton

Jun 21, 2021, 5:36:28 PMJun 21
It really wouldn't be "her own MP3" then, would it? ... I.e.,
emphasis on "own". This would be licensed from Apple Music or
iTunes, and not from other sources. E.g., not a personal
recording of her own voice singing, nor a legal copy from
some CD she owns.

Grant Taylor

Jun 22, 2021, 1:11:29 AMJun 22
On 6/21/21 4:37 PM, Rod Pemberton wrote:
> It really wouldn't be "her own MP3" then, would it?

Yes, it would be.

"iTunes" is a term collision. It's both the utility used to administer
music / audio / podcasts /and/ a store / market to purchase music from
Apple.

> I.e., emphasis on "own". This would be licensed from Apple Music or
> iTunes, and not from other sources. E.g., not a personal recording
> of her own voice singing, nor a legal copy from some CD she owns.

You can easily use the utility aspect of the same software to manage
your own music library. E.g. your music that you own on plastic / vinyl
/ Mylar / what have you. I have a very large percentage of my CDs
imported into my iTunes library. I have configured iTunes to use mp3
files instead of the aac (?) that it defaults to and to never upload to
the cloud. I found iTunes to be quite convenient for ripping my CDs.
It would fetch album & track info from somewhere, title tracks, and pull
in cover art, all while using standard open mp3 files on my local
computer. I then use iTunes to sync the desired mp3s to my iPhone.
This has been my workflow for more than a decade.

Grant Taylor

Jun 22, 2021, 1:20:33 AMJun 22
On 6/21/21 4:35 PM, Rod Pemberton wrote:
> How do you get photo's off of the phone?

iTunes.

You configure iTunes to synchronize photos on the phone with a directory
/ folder on the local computer.

iTunes is the interface for administering audio / video / picture media
on the iPhone.

Well, it was. Now Apple is starting to dis-aggregate some things into
their own program. But you still have the utilities to do the same
thing, just not in one program.

> USB cable or email?

You can use either of those. The iPhone and iTunes also support
synchronizing over WiFi. (It's actually standard Ethernet and I think
TCP/IP, but the phone doesn't have an Ethernet port.)

> If you move photo's off of the phone via USB cable, then you should
> be able to load MP3's from CD's you own, onto the phone, via USB
> cable from a PC.

The cable does not imply what I think you think it implies. The cable
is not really anything special. After all, it's /just/ a USB cable with
the standard four wires on the computer end.

The big difference is how the phone behaves when it's connected to a
computer. Android (and I assume other things) present themselves to the
host computer as a USB mass storage (a.k.a. a flash drive). The iPhone
does no such thing. You /need/ the iTunes program to talk to /
interface with the proprietary USB device that is the iPhone / iPod /
iPad / ....

Rod Pemberton

Jun 22, 2021, 3:30:13 AMJun 22
On Mon, 21 Jun 2021 23:20:36 -0600
Grant Taylor <gta...@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:

> On 6/21/21 4:35 PM, Rod Pemberton wrote:

> > How do you get photo's off of the phone?
>
> > If you move photo's off of the phone via USB cable, then you should
> > be able to load MP3's from CD's you own, onto the phone, via USB
> > cable from a PC.
>
> The cable does not imply what I think you think it implies.

I don't know what you mean by that.

> The cable is not really anything special.

I never said it was.

> After all, it's /just/ a USB
> cable with the standard four wires on the computer end.

The point was he can either access and load
files to his smart phone using a USB cable
between his PC and smart phone, or he can't.

> The big difference is how the phone behaves when it's connected to a
> computer.

> Android (and I assume other things) present themselves to
> the host computer as a USB mass storage (a.k.a. a flash drive).

Yes.

At least, that's true for personal data or
files such as music, photos, videos, etc.

I'm not real sure about updating the
operating system software and applications
via USB cable. They may be stored separately.

> The iPhone does no such thing. You /need/ the iTunes program to talk
> to / interface with the proprietary USB device that is the iPhone /
> iPod / iPad / ....

Ok. Thank you for that.

It seems that the USB cable is not really
an option for him.

That's unfortunate, as using a cable is really
simple for other phones, just plug-and-play.

I'm guessing this is because of the extra
hardware/software security bloat of an iPhone.

Joe Monk

Jun 22, 2021, 7:27:47 AMJun 22
> I'm not real sure about updating the
> operating system software and applications
> via USB cable. They may be stored separately.

With android, we have a tool called ADB. You boot your phone into recovery mode, and then adb is able to manipulate the phone. Thats how we flash beta builds of Android OS. I'm currently running Android 12 beta 2. It's super nice!

Joe

Branimir Maksimovic

Jun 22, 2021, 7:38:37 AMJun 22
adb is very powerfull tool. You don't need to root phone in order to get super user access...