UCARM

Paul Edwards

Jan 15, 2024, 5:13:12 AMJan 15
I now have PDOS-generic for ARM as a
University Challenge distribution (but
unlike the others, this includes
copyrighted tools).

Works fine on a Pinebook Pro laptop.

In due course this may possibly allow
me to part ways with the x86 - although
I can still run Windows 2000 under
emulation to support some things.

The intention being you can pick up any
computer and basically get a simple and
understandable DOS-like OS which contains
the necessary tools to build a better OS,
tools and beyond, without needing to know
or use a language other than C90.

The existing OS (which could be UEFI, or
could be the more complicated PDOS/386),
is treated as nothing more than a glorified
BIOS.

There is still z/Arch to prove too. And
the 80286 too. But both of those require
more work on the "glorified BIOS" thing,
ie z/PDOS and the mainframe PDPCLIB for
z/Arch and for the 80286 I haven't written
any base OS yet, but could simply use
Windows 2000 to run OS/2 1.x executables
which I think I have largely done already
(I'll need to double-check where I got to
with that).

http://pdos.org

BFN. Paul.