Develop a new OS

45 views
Skip to first unread message

Rick C. Hodgin

unread,
Jun 12, 2021, 2:08:23 PMJun 12
to
I have a CPU design I created called Inspire. I'm wanting to create a
new OS which runs on it. It will be done via an emulator at first, but
eventually it will be run on a thin AMD64-based boot loader which
contains drives for the host machine to interface with keyboard, mouse,
video, network. Also an ARM-based boot loader.

This will be a Christian endeavor. I watch this newsgroup post
profanity and vulgarity and that's all to be tolerated, right? Well I
am a Christian, and I am an OS developer, and I come here with what I
have going on in my life, just as you each come here with what you have
going on in your life.

You can attack me. Peter Cheung can start posting 20+ posts for every
one of my posts that mention Jesus Christ just as he did for how many
months ultimately destroying this group for a time, but it doesn't
change any aspect of the fact that I am a person on this Earth just
like each of you. I have dreams and wants and wishes and goals and
beliefs, just like each of you. And there's a reason why when I step
up for Christ the forces at work within you rise up to spew out hate
and to try and stop me from speaking. It's because that thing on the
inside of you KNOWS that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life,
that everyone who comes to Him can have their sin forgiven and live on
after they leave this world. That voice on the inside of you is
already condemned for its rebellion against God. It wants your soul
destroyed in Hell as well, which is why it seeks to silence me, etc.

But I am not moving improperly by coming here. I am seeking to create
an operating system from scratch. I am seeking for Christians to do
it. I do not know who operates in this group, so I make the offer
publicly, and I will proceed publicly. If you aren't interested, skip
to the next topic. Go back to talking about profanity and vulgarity.
But if you want to change your life and improve and secure your future
even after you leave this world, then turn to Christ, repent of your
sin, and come and help out this train of light moving forward.

Exodus OS will be the name of this operating system. A mass departure
from evil. Fully open source. Fully given over to Christ from
inception. No horrible names like are seen in Linux. No file modes
like 666. It will be an offering of light given over to God.

If you'd like to help, please jump on board. If not, please move along
to the next item and ignore everything I post.

The goal is:
1) The emulator.
2) The OS written in the emulator.
3) A full software ecosystem written in the OS.

And there are other long-term goals for JIT compilers, true thin
wrappers for real hardware on AMD64 and ARM, a C/C++ compiler, a Java
compiler, etc. I want the ecosystem to be desirable and robust. I
want it to be a true offering for Christ giving back to Him the
fullness of what He first gave us.

--
Rick C. Hodgin

muta...@gmail.com

unread,
Jun 12, 2021, 7:48:32 PMJun 12
to
On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 4:08:23 AM UTC+10, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:

> beliefs, just like each of you. And there's a reason why when I step
> up for Christ the forces at work within you rise up to spew out hate
> and to try and stop me from speaking.

This is not correct. We all want you to exercise your
freedom of speech. On your own blog, or in a Christian
newsgroup, surrounded by people as stupid as you.

> It's because that thing on the
> inside of you KNOWS that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life,

No Rick, it really, really isn't. If Jesus even EXISTED, he
can go fuck himself. If God really exists, he can go fuck
himself too.

> But I am not moving improperly by coming here. I am seeking to create
> an operating system from scratch.

For what reason are you wanting to do it from scratch?
You can take the existing, working, PDOS code:

http://pdos.org

And you can convert it to any Christian-based license or
anything else you want, without restriction.

You can keep it, sell it, or stick it up Rick's bottom.

http://www.ratman.biz/archive/young_ones/boring.html

> The goal is:
> 1) The emulator.
> 2) The OS written in the emulator.
> 3) A full software ecosystem written in the OS.

You know humans die eventually, right? How long have you
got left on the clock? I've been working on PDOS, admittedly
not full-time, for 27 years.

BFN. Paul.

Rick C. Hodgin

unread,
Jun 30, 2021, 4:13:45 PMJun 30
to
On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 14:08:20 -0400
"Rick C. Hodgin" <rick.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a CPU design I created called Inspire. I'm wanting to create a
> new OS which runs on it. It will be done via an emulator at first,
> but eventually it will be run on a thin AMD64-based boot loader which
> contains drives for the host machine to interface with keyboard,
> mouse, video, network. Also an ARM-based boot loader.
>
> Exodus OS will be the name of this operating system. A mass departure
> from evil. Fully open source. Fully given over to Christ from
> inception. No horrible names like are seen in Linux. No file modes
> like 666. It will be an offering of light given over to God.
>
> If you'd like to help, please jump on board. If not, please move
> along to the next item and ignore everything I post.
>
> The goal is:
> 1) The emulator.
> 2) The OS written in the emulator.
> 3) A full software ecosystem written in the OS.

Jun.30.2021 update. The VM is framed. The VM's hardware debugger is
framed. The Inspire ISA assembler is framed (handles lexing and macro
expansion). I'm working on the assembler and disassembler in parallel.
I have an IDE I've built which has source code, assembly, the register
environment, support for viewing its two SMT states (called main and
love), as well as an ad hoc query window, and a VM output window /
journal.

I've coded the text editor that's in use (I call it SEM). The VM IDE
is currently unnamed (I just call it IVM), but it will have popout
windows for stack, memory, watch, breakpoints, etc.

Once I get the assembler working I'll begin working on the BIOS code.
Once BIOS is sufficiently developed, I'll begin working on the OS code
in parallel.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages