PDOS-generic on ARM

muta...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2022, 10:19:21 PM10/19/22
I am currently working with Jean-Marc, who used to frequent
this group, on getting PDOS-generic to work on an Android
smartphone as a native ARM executable instead of the
current Bochs emulation.

Basically turning a smartphone into a really cheap
32-bit MSDOS PC from the point of view of the user
and C programmer.

I can buy an external USB keyboard for about US$2.

I can buy a new Android smartphone with OTG support
for about US$40.

It hasn't quite passed proof of concept yet, but it's pretty close.

You can preview it here:

https://github.com/jeanmarclienher/Pdos-PdAndro/releases/tag/rel0.0.3

BFN. Paul.

anti...@math.uni.wroc.pl

Oct 28, 2022, 2:43:27 PM10/28/22
muta...@gmail.com <muta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am currently working with Jean-Marc, who used to frequent
> this group, on getting PDOS-generic to work on an Android
> smartphone as a native ARM executable instead of the
> current Bochs emulation.
>
> Basically turning a smartphone into a really cheap
> 32-bit MSDOS PC from the point of view of the user
> and C programmer.

Many phones are 64-bit now. Cheap ones probably are still
32-bit, but I am not sure how long this will last.

> I can buy an external USB keyboard for about US$2.
>
> I can buy a new Android smartphone with OTG support
> for about US$40.
>
> It hasn't quite passed proof of concept yet, but it's pretty close.
>
> You can preview it here:
>
> https://github.com/jeanmarclienher/Pdos-PdAndro/releases/tag/rel0.0.3
>
> BFN. Paul.

If you dig deep enough into Android you will find Linux. AFAICS
the code above is doing this: it runs code as native ARM Linux
executable.

--
Waldek Hebisch

muta...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2022, 3:52:38 PM10/28/22
That is correct.

pdos-generic posits an "ideal bios"
and then uses that.

The ideal bios can be provided by an executable
running under another os, treating the
other os as a glorified bios.

The pdos os remains the same regardless.

It makes the os portable.

Then as of a week ago or whatever there
was a new concept added.

Applications themselves can be run
directly under the bios, not requiring pdos.

muta...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2022, 4:29:08 AM10/31/22
On Thursday, October 20, 2022 at 10:19:21 AM UTC+8, muta...@gmail.com wrote:

> It hasn't quite passed proof of concept yet, but it's pretty close.

It has finally passed proof of concept:

https://github.com/jeanmarclienher/Pdos-PdAndro/releases/tag/rel0.5.0

BFN. Paul.