Toastmasters vs. Dale Carnegie

Jon

Sep 6, 2000, 11:12:22 AM9/6/00
I want to get over my terror of public speaking, and I'm wondering if anyone
could steer me in the right direction. I am not too interested in
business-oriented counseling, I simply (?) want to get over my social fears
so that I can go back to school .
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jon

Yoj

Sep 6, 2000, 12:50:52 PM9/6/00
Jon <jha...@myna.com> wrote in message

Jon, I strongly recommend joining a Toastmasters club. I understand the
Dale Carnegie course teaches many of the same things, but Toastmasters has
many advantages: 1. You can join at any time. 2. You may visit one or
more clubs before deciding to join, or which club you want to join. 3. It
costs a *lot* less. 4. It is fun. There are others, but that should be
enough to get you started. Good luck. I think you'll find you enjoy being
part of what is essentially a support group for people who are afraid of
public speaking. There is a lot more to Toastmasters than that, but for
most people, that is the most important thing, at least in the beginning.

Joy Gaylord, ATM (Able Toastmaster)

John Fleming

Sep 6, 2000, 4:21:25 PM9/6/00
"Yoj" <jgay...@att.net> wrote in message

> Jon <jha...@myna.com> wrote in message
> > I want to get over my terror of public speaking, and I'm wondering
if
> anyone
> > could steer me in the right direction. I am not too interested in
> > business-oriented counseling, I simply (?) want to get over my
social
> fears
> > so that I can go back to school .
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Jon, I strongly recommend joining a Toastmasters club. I understand
the
> Dale Carnegie course teaches many of the same things, but
Toastmasters has
> many advantages: 1. You can join at any time. 2. You may visit
one or
> more clubs before deciding to join, or which club you want to join.
3. It
> costs a *lot* less. 4. It is fun. There are others, but that
should be
> enough to get you started. Good luck. I think you'll find you
enjoy being
> part of what is essentially a support group for people who are
afraid of
> public speaking. There is a lot more to Toastmasters than that, but
for
> most people, that is the most important thing, at least in the
beginning.

I've done both Dale Carnegie and Toastmasters, and Joy, your list of
the advantages of TM is pretty complete. The one item I would add to
the list is this. Dale Carnegie lasts for ten weeks. Toastmasters
can last for years--i.e., you can remain a member for as long as you
want.

To be fair to Dale Carnegie, I should point out some of its benefits.

Dale Carnegie is focused a bit more on human relations. That is, you
are focusing on developing skills to help you deal with other people.
Over the course of the program, you will pick two human relations
principles to develop skill in--and many of your speeches will be
based on those human relations principles and what you learned by
working with them.

On a purely public speaking basis, Dale Carnegie does force you to do
your speeches fairly quickly. In that sense it is a bit like a
Toastmasters Speechcraft where the participants are expected to do 2-3
speeches during the six to eight weeks of the program. There's no
saying "I'll get around to it," the way we can in the regular
Toastmasters program with its self paced program.

BTW, Dale Carnegie is a lot of fun too. But with the price tag on it,
it's much more fun if you can get your employer to pay for it. ;)

Also, BTW, One of the speeches I did so many years ago in Dale
Carnegie later served as the core for a much longer speech I did for
my CTM.

--

John Fleming, ATM-S, AL
Rooster Rousers Toastmasters, Immediate Past President

email: joh...@nice.ab.ca (nice should be ecn, remove 'gh')
web pages: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/6070
http://www.ecn.ab.ca/~johnf

- Only if you have been in the deepest valley can you
ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest
mountain.

R.M.Nixon 1913-1994

This message may be freely copied, distributed, or
otherwise be retransmitted.

Jim Salih

Sep 8, 2000, 3:30:32 PM9/8/00

"Jon" <jha...@myna.com> wrote in message
> I have participated at both TM and Dale Carnegie. Dale Carnegie is much
more intense during its 10 weeks or so, but as stated, it is also much more
expensive.

As stated in another post, try to find a TM club that is giving a
Speechcrafters class. They usually last eight weeks and you will get some
of the intensity that Dale Carnegie offers.

They are both great. You won't go wrong with either but TM can be a
life-long pursuit if you wish it to be. You can also learn other leadership
skills in TM if you decide to become a club officer or go on to help on the
district level. Because of these other leadership opportunities that TM can
offer, I recommend TM.

jims...@hotmail.com

melanie...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2016, 12:45:15 PM10/15/16
Toastmasters is the right direction for you