Proposal for Competent Evaluator track

Ra_

Jun 20, 2008, 1:37:44 PM6/20/08
Toastmasters all surely value effective evaluations and excellent
feedback. I propose the development of the "Competent Evaluator"
track. TI is missing a formal education and recognition program for
development of evaluation and feedback.

Please join in let's get TI to add this worthwhile program. We need
your help to brainstorm and design the program: This has evolved into
a 2 part track, "Competent Evaluator" and "Advanced Evaluator".

Next steps include

1. Drafting outlines of materials for the manuals. The manuals need to
have evaluation/feedback forms for the evaluator, lots of advice, best
practices, hints, tis and resources.

We need to explain how these processes will benefit people beyond
Toastmasters in their lives and professional careers.

2. Draft requirements for each track.

Proposed Competent Evaluator requirements:
- have completed CC
- Evaluate 10 CC manual speeches (no more than 3 for any speech
project type and must include a speech project #9 or 10)
- Evaluate an educational module presentation
- Present "Evaluate to Motivate"
- Serve as General Evaluator 3 times or more

Advanced Evaluator requirements:
- have completed Competent Evaluator
- have evaluated an additional 3 speeches outside home club
- have evaluated 2 advanced manual speeches
- have presented "the art of effective evaluation"
- Serve as General Evaluator at 2 outside clubs
- Evaluate at least one activity for each of the 10 CL projects

This discussion is being don in detail on Toastspace.com or contact me
mat...@kleinosky.com if you have comment or would like to join in the
effort. coming soon: http://CompetentEvaluator.info

Mark Perew

Jul 1, 2008, 7:59:53 AM7/1/08
Being able to give a competent evaluation is a critical skill. The art of
finding the right words to say to both lift and redirect an individual is
one that is sometimes done well, but mostly done not so well. Wouldn't it
be great if we could all give and receive only the best evaluations.

If we had the best evaluations, then we would know clearly what was expected
of us, where we had done better than expected, where we still had room for
growth, and have a strong vision of how to get there.

Having said all that, it strikes me that a strong evaluation is a mix of
good communication and good leadership. TI already has tracks for both of
those subjects.

Rather than just being abstract communication or abstract leadership, the
area of evaluation is an applied craft where both of the realms of TI
overlap. We know what to say and how to say it, we know how to present a
vision and motivate others to persue it.

In short, I think TI is already doing much of what needs to be done.
Creating a new track would not be a benefit and would confuse the
understanding of what is required to be a good evaluator.

--
Mark Perew <pe...@squeep.com>
To the world you may be just one person,

John Fleming, DTM

Jul 1, 2008, 10:02:32 AM7/1/08
On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 07:59:53 -0400, while chained to a desk
in the scriptorium Mark Perew <pe...@bokbok.squeep.com>
wrote:

I agree with you Mark.

> $Being able to give a competent evaluation is a critical skill. The art of
> $finding the right words to say to both lift and redirect an individual is
> $one that is sometimes done well, but mostly done not so well. Wouldn't it
> $be great if we could all give and receive only the best evaluations.
> $
> $If we had the best evaluations, then we would know clearly what was expected
> $of us, where we had done better than expected, where we still had room for
> $growth, and have a strong vision of how to get there.
> $
> $Having said all that, it strikes me that a strong evaluation is a mix of
> $good communication and good leadership. TI already has tracks for both of
> $those subjects.
> $
> $Rather than just being abstract communication or abstract leadership, the
> $area of evaluation is an applied craft where both of the realms of TI
> $overlap. We know what to say and how to say it, we know how to present a
> $vision and motivate others to persue it.
> $
> $In short, I think TI is already doing much of what needs to be done.
> $Creating a new track would not be a benefit and would confuse the
> $understanding of what is required to be a good evaluator.
> $
> $Ra_ <mklei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> $> Toastmasters all surely value effective evaluations and excellent
> $> feedback. I propose the development of the "Competent Evaluator"
> $> track. TI is missing a formal education and recognition program for
> $> development of evaluation and feedback.

--

John Fleming, DTM
Edmonton, Canada

Attitude Boosters Toastmasters (7022-42) - Member
Chamber Toastmasters (5594 - 42) - VP Membership elect

A scientist can discover a new star but he
cannot make one. He would have to ask an
engineer to do it for him.

- Gordon L. Glegg

The Doctor

Jul 1, 2008, 12:24:54 PM7/1/08
In article <h3ek641mbe6kv3hmv...@4ax.com>,

Has anyone ever read the Competent Leadership manual in full?

You will find some pointers there.
--
Member - Liberal International
This is doc...@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doc...@nl2k.ab.ca

Poster@poster.com Top Poster

Jul 1, 2008, 12:47:07 PM7/1/08
Did it tell you how to castrate gays? like you want to, you must be the
toastmaster poster boy LOL

--
Socrates taught his students that the pursuit of truth can only begin once
they start to question and analyze every belief that they ever held dear. If

"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message

Joy

Jul 1, 2008, 1:41:09 PM7/1/08
So do I.

--

Joy

If you don't have a sense of humor you probably don't have any sense at all.

"John Fleming, DTM" <nos...@sprynet.com> wrote in message