Specialty Speeches #1 - Speak Off the Cuff

Regina Litman

Oct 10, 2002, 9:18:43 PM10/10/02
I've decided to do the Specialty Speeches manual as one of the two for my ATM-Silver. The first
project/speech is called "Speak off the Cuff". Basically, I'm supposed to have five topics available
on which I can speak, and the evaluator is supposed to pick one of these five, presumably at random.

What I am trying to figure out is if I need to have five full speeches rehearsed and ready to go
(with four of them presumably never used, unless I can find another project or a contest in which to
use them later), or if I just need to be able to talk coherently on five topics. The latter
situation would be like knowing that there are going to be five particular Table Topics questions on
a particular night, and I'm going to get one of them, but I don't know which one. And I'll have 5-7
minutes instead of 1-2 in which to do it.

So, if any of you have done this project, or have observed it, please let me know. I did see someone
present this one about 3-4 years ago, but I don't recall how polished his speech was.

Susan Niven, DTM PID

Oct 10, 2002, 9:36:19 PM10/10/02
Hi Regina -

The name of this speech assignment "Speak Off The Cuff", provides a summary
of its intention ... which is to practice the skill of creating a delivering
a short presentation on the spot.

That kind of thing happens in business all the time. "Ledema, while everyone
is here, why don't you give us an update on that XYZ project?" ... things
like that.

So ... the idea is for you to present your evaluator with 5 topics that you
know something about, and for him/her to tell you ... right before you get
up to speak ... which topic you will be addressing. I urge you not to cheat
yourself out of the learning / growing opportunity here ... i.e. I urge you
not to do ANY preparation or thinking about what you would talk about under
each topic. Just list 5 things you know about.

If I were to do that assignment right now, I'd maybe list:
* sprint car racing
* distance education
* teleconferencing
* volunteer leadership
* policy making
* growing herbs
* public relations
* media relations
* radio broadcasting
* international service projects
etc.! (would definitely provide more than 5 !!!!)

I have done this assignment twice. The first time, I gave the evaluator 5
topics, listed more or less as speech titles. The second time, though, I got
a lot more out of it. I gave the evaluator a list of 7 or 8 or so topics ...
and asked him to pick a topic AND tell me how he would like me to address
it. E.G. if he picked "distance education" from the list above, he might ask
me to talk specifically about how large international corporations use
distance education in their employee training & development programs.

I hope some of this is helpful, Ledema, and I look forward to hearing how
this assignment goes for you!

Susan.

Susan Niven, DTM
Toastmasters International Director 1998-2000
http://www.exploreallpossibilities.com

Susan Niven, DTM PID

Oct 10, 2002, 9:38:46 PM10/10/02
Oops ...
Must have had a 'meno moment' ... switching you from Regina to Ledema part
way through my post above. Sorry, Regina!

Susan.

John Fleming, DTM

Oct 10, 2002, 11:22:29 PM10/10/02
On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 01:36:19 GMT, while chained to a desk in the
scriptorium, "Susan Niven, DTM PID" <Susan...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> $yourself out of the learning / growing opportunity here ... i.e. I urge you
> $not to do ANY preparation or thinking about what you would talk about under
> $each topic. Just list 5 things you know about.

I think you and I diverge a bit in thought here Susan.

The gist I got out of reading the project outline is that
"impromtu speaking" isn't really impromptu. While we maybe
didn't set out to specifically rehears a speech, we have done a
lot of preparation beforehand by becoming familiar with our
topic.

That preparation may include attending lectures, reading books
and articles, talking to experts, watching TV shows, explaining
aspects of the subject to friends and family, and so on.

The difference between impromptu speeches and other speeches is
that in the impromptu situation, the preparation is "informal".

--
John Fleming, DTM
Edmonton, Canada

Attitude Boosters Toastmasters (7022-42) - Member
Chamber Toastmasters (5594 - 42) - VP E

"It was a dark and stormy night . . .."

- Edward Bulwer Lytton

"The pen is mightier than the sward"

Edward Bulwer Lytton

Susan Niven, DTM PID

Oct 11, 2002, 12:08:29 AM10/11/02
John said ...

> The gist I got out of reading the project outline is that
> "impromtu speaking" isn't really impromptu. While we maybe
> didn't set out to specifically rehears a speech, we have done a
> lot of preparation beforehand by becoming familiar with our
> topic.
>
> That preparation may include attending lectures, reading books
> and articles, talking to experts, watching TV shows, explaining
> aspects of the subject to friends and family, and so on.
>
> The difference between impromptu speeches and other speeches is
> that in the impromptu situation, the preparation is "informal".

Hmmm. I don't get your point. It seems to me that impromptu presentations -
whether this manual assignment or the myriad real life situations that come
up - involve NO preparation ... simply get up and speak as required.
Obviously on a topic that one knows about. (In business, for example, the
"boss" wouldn't ask you to "give us an update on project XYZ" unless you
have the info about the project!)

And for the project, no doubt Regina will give her evaluator a list of
subjects about which she is knowledgeable.

Susan.

Samuel K. Conner

Oct 11, 2002, 8:19:03 AM10/11/02
John and Susan-

It seems to me that you two are saying the essentially same thing, but have a
different definition of the word "preparation".

I suggest that the "preparation" for an impromptu presentation is the ongoing
processing and analysis of information on a subject, whether it be at work,
home, hobby, or some other activity.

Both of you seem to agree with this assertion: John mentions various modes of
preparation, while Susan notes that someone would not be called on to make a
business presentation unless they were familiar (or were supposed to be
familiar) with the matter at hand.

The preparation for impromptu speaking is a constant, fluid process-a journey,
if you will-that varies from the preparation required for a planned
presentation or a TI project speech.

At least, that's the view from my neck of the woods!

Sam Conner, DTM
President, Toast of Tysons Corner 571-27
Member, Burke Toastmasters 8532-27

"Susan Niven, DTM PID" wrote:

> John said ...
> > The gist I got out of reading the project outline is that
> > "impromtu speaking" isn't really impromptu. While we maybe
> > didn't set out to specifically rehears a speech, we have done a
> > lot of preparation beforehand by becoming familiar with our
> > topic.
> >
> > That preparation may include attending lectures, reading books
> > and articles, talking to experts, watching TV shows, explaining
> > aspects of the subject to friends and family, and so on.
> >
> > The difference between impromptu speeches and other speeches is
> > that in the impromptu situation, the preparation is "informal".
>
> Hmmm. I don't get your point. It seems to me that impromptu presentations -
> whether this manual assignment or the myriad real life situations that come
> up - involve NO preparation ... simply get up and speak as required.
> Obviously on a topic that one knows about. (In business, for example, the
> "boss" wouldn't ask you to "give us an update on project XYZ" unless you
> have the info about the project!)
>

> <SNIP>
> Susan.

Rick.C...@att.net

Oct 11, 2002, 11:15:10 AM10/11/02
Regina Litman wrote:

> I've decided to do the Specialty Speeches manual as one of the two for my ATM-Silver. The first
> project/speech is called "Speak off the Cuff". Basically, I'm supposed to have five topics available
> on which I can speak, and the evaluator is supposed to pick one of these five, presumably at random.

It doesn't have to be chosen at random. It could be the topic most interesting to the evaluator. It
just needs to be a surprise to you. I've had evaluators tell me before the first speaker so I had a
speech to organize my thoughts and evaluators give me the topic announced just before I get up to
speak. Either way is valid because either could happen in real life.

> What I am trying to figure out is if I need to have five full speeches rehearsed and ready to go

> [...] or if I just need to be able to talk coherently on five topics.

I agree with Susan and John, the purpose is to organize your thoughts on a topic you know about. It
simulates the situation where your club President might say, "Regina, you attended the District
Conference last weekend. Please give us a report on the conference." The preparation you get is
thinking that you need to mention the business meeting because you club was moved from area 98 to 99.
You want to summarize the educational sessions you attended. You bring a copy of the contest program so
you can announce who won the contests.

--
Rick Clements, AbleTM-S, CL
VP-Ed, Daylighters Toastmasters

Vince Sinex

Oct 11, 2002, 1:47:23 PM10/11/02
Regina Litman <rsli...@infi.net> wrote in message news:<3DA626F3...@infi.net>...

Hello Regina,

I just did this project in August. To prepare, I picked the five
topic areas and then, for each topic, I worked out a basic outline of
the points I wanted to make. I then wrote out a rough draft for each
speech, based on the outline (I did this in order to give myself some
idea of how I might want to articulate my points when I was actually
doing the speech).

In the days before I was scheduled to speak, I spent a few minutes
each day looking over the outlines and the rough drafts, just so I
could remember the flow of each speech. I didn't, however, make any
effort to memorize the text (which is what I typically do).

At the meeting, I was handed the topic (which just so happened to be
the one I felt least confident about, unfortunately) and I stumbled my
way through the speech. It wasn't one of my best, but it was
serviceable. (I think the biggest mistake was that I tried to cram
too much detail into it, and I think that I lost some of my audience
halfway through. If I had it to do over again, I would have made it a
lot simpler.)

So, I didn't do a totally impromptu speech. However, in my opinion,
doing a completely impromptu speech is not point of this project. I
think the unspoken lesson of "Speak Off the Cuff" is that if you are
in a position where you might be called upon to speak, you should
probably take a few minutes to clarify and organize your thoughts on
the matter you might be addressing.

Vince Sinex, CTM
Vice President Public Relations
Club 6653-52

John Fleming, DTM

Oct 11, 2002, 11:45:32 PM10/11/02
On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 08:19:03 -0400, while chained to a desk in
the scriptorium, "Samuel K. Conner" <sco...@mitre.org> wrote:

> $It seems to me that you two are saying the essentially same thing, but have a
> $different definition of the word "preparation".
> $
> $I suggest that the "preparation" for an impromptu presentation is the ongoing
> $processing and analysis of information on a subject, whether it be at work,
> $home, hobby, or some other activity.

You're absolutely right.

There is absolutely no way any of us can talk on a topic unless
we have had some exposure to the subject matter.

The only thing impropmptu about the kind of impromptu situation
described in project 1 of Specialty Speeches is that we haven't
taken time to sit down beforehand, work out a formal outline,
practice in front of the bathroom mirror, and maybe prepare a few
visual aids.

And if we have done some practice session for the project,
perhaps we have had a few friends run us through some practice
sessions on our topics of interest. That means we have already
thought of some possible approaches to our material.

To quote from the project itself (first paragraph) -

The most common misconception about
impromptu speaking is that the speaker is
called upon to say a few words without
having made any preparation whatsoever.
To the skilled and knowledgable speaker,
impromptu does not mean totally un-
prepared. Whatever the situation, from
casual conversation to a platform
presentation, you will discover there is
no substitute for preparation.

> $Both of you seem to agree with this assertion: John mentions various modes of
> $preparation, while Susan notes that someone would not be called on to make a
> $business presentation unless they were familiar (or were supposed to be
> $familiar) with the matter at hand.
> $
> $The preparation for impromptu speaking is a constant, fluid process-a journey,
> $if you will-that varies from the preparation required for a planned
> $presentation or a TI project speech.
> $
> $At least, that's the view from my neck of the woods!
> $
> $Sam Conner, DTM
> $President, Toast of Tysons Corner 571-27
> $Member, Burke Toastmasters 8532-27
> $
> $
> $
> $"Susan Niven, DTM PID" wrote:
> $
> $> John said ...
> $> > The gist I got out of reading the project outline is that
> $> > "impromtu speaking" isn't really impromptu. While we maybe
> $> > didn't set out to specifically rehears a speech, we have done a
> $> > lot of preparation beforehand by becoming familiar with our
> $> > topic.
> $> >
> $> > That preparation may include attending lectures, reading books
> $> > and articles, talking to experts, watching TV shows, explaining
> $> > aspects of the subject to friends and family, and so on.
> $> >
> $> > The difference between impromptu speeches and other speeches is
> $> > that in the impromptu situation, the preparation is "informal".
> $>
> $> Hmmm. I don't get your point. It seems to me that impromptu presentations -
> $> whether this manual assignment or the myriad real life situations that come
> $> up - involve NO preparation ... simply get up and speak as required.
> $> Obviously on a topic that one knows about. (In business, for example, the
> $> "boss" wouldn't ask you to "give us an update on project XYZ" unless you
> $> have the info about the project!)
> $>
> $> <SNIP>
> $> Susan.

Ledema Renfrow

Oct 13, 2002, 8:50:23 PM10/13/02

"Susan Niven, DTM PID" <Susan...@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Susan, I was honored to stand in for Regina, if only for a few moments.

Regina, I did the Speaking off the Cuff speech a few years ago and do not
really remember all the choices I gave my Evaluator but I do remember that
the five I choose were topics I felt I had enough knowledge to deliver an
impromptu speech on. My evaluator, of course, did not choose the topic I
really wanted to talk about but then I had four topics left that I ended up
using for speeches later.
I thought the challenge was great and proved to me that I could do an
acceptable speech without even an outline to follow. I thought it was a
growing experience and I hope you feel the same after you complete this
project.
Ledema Renfrow, DTM
District 26