PLEASE READ [CAREGIVING/MENTAL HEALTH]

gvsuca...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2015, 12:54:55 PM7/21/15

Hi I am wondering if there is anyone who fits this description in this group currenty or if anyone knows anyone who does and can send them my information?

Caregivers are strong with big hearts. There is so much research that points out the "negatives" of caring. I want people to see both sides! It is very important.

I truly appreciate this.
Thank you

This letter is a request for your assistance with a research project I am conducting under the supervision of Dr. Brandon Youker School of Social Work at Grand Valley State University. The title of my research project is "The Experiences of Caregiving for a Parent Diagnosed with a Severe and Persistent Mental Illness". I would like to provide you with more information about this project that explores adult-children who are caregiving for their parents with severe and persistent mental illness. Knowledge and information generated from this study may help others understand what it is like caregiving for a parent with such an illness.

I hope that you will participate or connect me with caregivers and invite them to be interviewed so we can gather their stories, experiences, and perspectives of caregiving.

You can assist with this important research by emailing me if you are willing to participate, sharing this information with caregivers, requesting and distributing the interviewee recruitment flier so we can reach potential research participants. Interviews will be conducted July through September 2015. Furthermore, we are willing to interview those who are eligible but reside outside of greater Grand Rapids via Skype or another video messaging program.

What qualifies someone to be involved in this study?
* Adult children who are caregivers for their parent.

* The care recipient has been diagnosed and is under psychiatric care for a severe and persistent mental illness which includes Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective disorder, Delusional disorder, other psychotic disorders, and Bipolar disorder.

* The care recipient was first diagnosed with a severe and persistent mental illness at least 10 years ago.

* The caregiver is the primary caregiver to his/her parent.

* The caregiver has been caregiver for a year or more

* The caregiver is willing to share his/her experiences.

* The caregiver is willing to participate in a 1 hour or 2 hour interview.
Who are adult children for this study?
* Adult children are those 18 years of age or older

* Children can be biological, step-children, or adoptees who were raised in the same home as the care recipient.

For questions about the study or eligibility please contact:
Silver Kendrick
Phone: (616) 422-3190
Email: gvsuca...@gmail.com
Abstract

This project seeks to answer the question: what are the experiences of being the primary caregiver to a parent severe and persistent mental illness? Thus, the purpose of this project is to learn about the experiences and perspectives of being a caregiver to a parent diagnosed with a severe and persistent mental illness by obtaining detailed descriptions of these experiences and depth of emotional disclosure. More specifically, the topics and questions will focus on the impact that caregiving has had on the caregiver's physical, social-relational, mental-emotional, spiritual, and economic/financial experiences. Data will be collected using semi-structured face-to-face interviews at an agreed upon private location.

Note on Interviewee Recruitment

The research participants will be actively recruited from July through September 2015. The recruitment materials will contain information about the study, the benefits and risks of participating, eligibility criteria, and our contact information.

This project has been approved by Grand Valley State University's Human Research Review Committee, approval number 15-145H