Two Weeks Left to Apply to become a Youth Court Member!

1 view

Sonia Balaram

Jun 16, 2011, 11:55:35 AM6/16/11
Hello Friends and Colleagues,

We hope that you will help the Harlem Youth Court in our recruitment efforts by distributing our application to New York City Youth and by displaying the flier for other youth to see. Please also forward this email to other lists, friends, family, youth groups, high schools, and places of worship that are spaces for this age group. The priority deadline for applications is Thursday, June 30th.

Thanks in advance!

-Sonia

**************************

Do you know someone 14-18 years old who would like to serve as a Harlem Youth Court member?

The Harlem Youth Court trains teenagers to serve as jurors, judges and attorneys, handling real-life cases involving their peers. In these roles, youth court members determine fair and appropriate sanctions for youthful offenders who are referred to the Harlem Youth Court by schools, police precincts, and criminal court. Youth court members receive training on the justice system, sound arguments, precision questioning, and public speaking. Through this experience, members learn about the judicial system and gain skills that will benefit them now and in their future. It is a PAID internship and this experience looks great on college or job applications. This year, we are conducting training over the summer and will hold hearings in the fall.

If you want to apply…
-You must be 14-18 years old by June 30, 2011.

-You must be able to attend training during the summer starting July 14th on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays 1-4 pm and attend hearings every Monday and Wednesday from 4:30 -7pm during the school year

If you have any questions about the program or would be interested in talking with staff or current members from the Harlem Youth Court about the program, please give us a call or send us an email. See the flier for details, and let us know if you have any questions. Please forward this email to friends, educators, teachers and anyone else you think would be interested in this opportunity.

For more information and to apply:

Website: https://sites.google.com/site/harlemyouthcourt/ (students can apply online directly!)
Email: harlemyo...@gmail.com
Phone: 212-360-4983