AT&T-yahoo web mail

Fabrizio

Nov 13, 2009, 3:33:13 PM11/13/09
Ever since the official merger of the AT&T and yahoo web mails a few days
ago, I can no longer stay signed in on both emails Prodigy and yahoo, I have
my prodigy email and a separate yahoo email. If I sign in for the
ATT&T/Prodigy automatically the system sign me out from the yahoo email and
viceversa. Even if I open two separate windows I get the same result, I can
not stay signed in on both. On top of it I now get more spam delivered in
the inbox on my Prodigy email.

NormanM

Nov 17, 2009, 4:42:17 PM11/17/09
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 12:33:13 -0800, Fabrizio wrote:

> Ever since the official merger of the AT&T and yahoo web mails a few days

> ago ...

There was no merger; official, or otherwise. Yahoo! (YHOO) remains a
separately traded company from AT&T (T).

AT&T, however, was bought by SBC in 2006. And SBC contracted with Yahoo! to
provide email service to SBC customers in 2002. So what you see is a
contracted service, not a merger.

> I can no longer stay signed in on both emails Prodigy and yahoo, I have
> my prodigy email and a separate yahoo email. If I sign in for the
> ATT&T/Prodigy automatically the system sign me out from the yahoo email and
> viceversa. Even if I open two separate windows I get the same result, I can
> not stay signed in on both.

If you ever merged your Yahoo! ID with your Prodigy ID, so that both use the
same Username+Password, that will happen.

> On top of it I now get more spam delivered in the inbox on my Prodigy email.

Completely irrelevant to the other issues. Spam comes and goes. I've had
peaks and valleys in most of my email accounts over the years.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

Fabrizio

Nov 17, 2009, 11:55:17 PM11/17/09
I have never merged my Prodigy account with my separate yahoo account. The
point is that since this contract service took effect for me two weeks, I
can not longer stay signed in on both accounts. It's either ATT&T/Prodigy
or my separate Yahoo account. So every time I have sign out from one account
and to sign in with other and viceversa.
"NormanM" <yc...@blackhole.invalid> wrote in message

Patrick Phillips

Nov 18, 2009, 9:28:24 AM11/18/09
In article <hdvunp$oln$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, fabr...@prodigy.net
says...

> I have never merged my Prodigy account with my separate yahoo account. The
> point is that since this contract service took effect for me two weeks, I
> can not longer stay signed in on both accounts. It's either ATT&T/Prodigy
> or my separate Yahoo account. So every time I have sign out from one account
> and to sign in with other and viceversa.

Like Norman said, You can't stay signed-in to both probably because you
never migrated and merged the account's years ago when most of us did.

--
Patrick in IL.

Fabrizio

Nov 18, 2009, 2:15:43 PM11/18/09
There was no reason for me to migrate the two accounts, I like to have
separate emails.
"Patrick Phillips" <patr...@prodigy.NOT> wrote in message

Patrick Phillips

Nov 18, 2009, 4:10:15 PM11/18/09
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:15:43 -0800
"Fabrizio" <fabr...@prodigy.net> wrote:

> There was no reason for me to migrate the two accounts, I like to have
> separate emails.

I think the way it sounded in the notice sent to all that haven't
migrated yet is everyone was going to be migrated forcefully but didn't
say so using those exact words, but you are proving that is what took place
because now 2 email accounts can't be logged into one web mail provider at
the same time from the same PC and from the same IP address.

You could before because you had 2 web email providers so used one
provider for each email account you have, you had one account with old
Prodigy web mail and one account with Yahoo web mail, so there was no
problem logging into 2 different email providers at same time.

Now you only have Yahoo web mail as your email provider and only one at a
time can be logged-in.
[in fact old Prodigy did not allow 2 at a time either] so one has to
log-out before the other logs-in just like your seeing now that there is
only one web mail provider.

Since old Prodigy web mail shut down you can't log into it anymore,
and have to use Yahoo now for both your email accounts, but 2 can't be
logged in at the same time to only one web mail provider from same PC and
from same IP address.

--
Patrick

Fabrizio

Nov 18, 2009, 11:18:43 PM11/18/09
It's just very annoying gaving to log in and out all the time. I just hope
the prodigy email doesn't get flooded with spam like the yahoo account. I
have seen an increase of spam on the prodigy email the same day I was forced
to have yahoo web mail for both accounts.

"Patrick Phillips" <patr...@prodigy.NOT> wrote in message

Patrick Phillips

Nov 19, 2009, 6:24:10 AM11/19/09
In article <he2gv6$ku$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, fabr...@prodigy.net
says...

> It's just very annoying gaving to log in and out all the time. I just hope
> the prodigy email doesn't get flooded with spam like the yahoo account. I
> have seen an increase of spam on the prodigy email the same day I was forced
> to have yahoo web mail for both accounts.

I used my real name posting in the old P* help groups as a special
contributor for several years and now only get about 4-5 spam a week that
get past the Yahoo filters that do a good job, make sure Spamguard is
turned on and let it catch most it the spam filter with very few false
positive going into the spam filter folder but you should still check it
each week in case it does catch one some you can mark them as not spam and
train it over time, and check that it is set to allow all address's in
your Contact's list through, then add to Contacts list any that get caught
that you don't want caught.
I think Yahoo has a good spam filter even likely the same one that P*
used.

--
Patrick in IL.

NormanM

Nov 19, 2009, 3:49:10 PM11/19/09

Probably a forced migration. If you now have to access the Prodigy account
on the web using 'mail.yahoo.com', you can't stay logged in using separate
'yahoo.com' accounts. Not in the same browser, anyway. The Yahoo! Mail site
is heavily vested in Flash, JavaScript, and cookies; and it is the cookies
which are the killer. Your session cookies for your Yahoo! Mail session are
tied to the account you log in with. To log in with another Yahoo! Mail
account, you either log out of the current Web mail session (which should
clear your session cookies), or you log in through a different browser
(i.e., if you logged in to your Prodigy email with MS Internet Explorer, log
in to your Yahoo! Mail account with Mozilla Firefox).

The fact is, if you had two completely different free Yahoo! Mail accounts,
you still couldn't log in to each simultaneously from one browser. At least,
I never could. It isn't AT&T, it is the way the Yahoo! site session cookies
work.

NormanM

Nov 19, 2009, 3:53:45 PM11/19/09
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:18:43 -0800, Fabrizio wrote:

> It's just very annoying gaving to log in and out all the time.

It's a Yahoo! thing. If you've been "force migrated", your Prodigy ID is now
a Yahoo! ID. Nobody, that I know of, has ever been able to log in with two
different Yahoo! IDs at the same time in the same browser. Ever. I've had
free Yahoo! Mail accounts apart from my old Pacific Bell account, since
1999; and it has always been thus.

> I just hope the prodigy email doesn't get flooded with spam like the yahoo
> account. I have seen an increase of spam on the prodigy email the same day
> I was forced to have yahoo web mail for both accounts.

Logical fallacy: "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc". Spam to any of my accounts,
Yahoo!, pre-migration PacBell, post-migration PacBell, has waxed/waned
independent of any apparent connections between the providers. What seems to
matter most, is what type of scam is in vogue with the spammers at any given
time.

tlvp

Nov 24, 2009, 11:57:19 PM11/24/09

Here's one thing to try: log in to your Prodigy webmail account using
one browser; log in to your Yahoo webmail account using a *different*
browser (not just a separate tab or window of the first browser). See
whether that doesn't help (should, because different browsers store
their cookies in very different areas on your HD, and it's the cookies
that help keep you logged-in). Use FF and IE, or Opera and FF, or ... .

Cheers, and HTH, -- tlvp
--
Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP

Fabrizio

Dec 3, 2009, 1:28:28 PM12/3/09
Can I have both browsers Internet Explorer and Firefox on the same computer
without having technical problems?
Thanks

"NormanM" <yc...@blackhole.invalid> wrote in message

norm

Dec 3, 2009, 6:41:02 PM12/3/09
Sure.

--
norm

NormanM

Dec 3, 2009, 6:47:37 PM12/3/09
On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 10:28:28 -0800, Fabrizio wrote:

> "NormanM" <yc...@blackhole.invalid> wrote in message

<snip>

>> The fact is, if you had two completely different free Yahoo! Mail
>> accounts, you still couldn't log in to each simultaneously from one browser.

>> At least,I never could. It isn't AT&T, it is the way the Yahoo! site session
>> cookies work.

> Can I have both browsers Internet Explorer and Firefox on the same computer
> without having technical problems?

I've got several on one system. Done it since the Windows ME days. Currently
running Windows 7 (I skipped Windows Vista).

MS Internet Explorer, Opera, Safari, SeaMonkey, Firefox. I have not
encountered any problems.

Patrick Phillips

Dec 9, 2009, 11:55:50 AM12/9/09
On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 15:47:37 -0800
NormanM <yc...@blackhole.invalid> wrote:

> I've got several on one system. Done it since the Windows ME days.
> Currently running Windows 7 (I skipped Windows Vista).

I skipped Vista and glad I did :-)

Well actually Vista came on this PC, but the free Win7 Premium upgrade was
only a week away, so I didn't really use Vista all that much, but I did
notice something during the upgrade because I installed Win7 to a
freshly formatted HD and it was actually smaller than Vista taking up less
HD space than Vista did with a fresh install!...so this has got to be the
first time in history Msft shipped a upgrade that was smaller
than its older version!

--
Patrick in IL.

clay

Dec 9, 2009, 1:29:12 PM12/9/09

The preinstalled Vista probably included a ton of trial bloatware along
with the base install... stuff I'm guessing you didn't install along
with W7.
...or not.

Patrick Phillips

Dec 9, 2009, 2:11:42 PM12/9/09
On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 10:29:12 -0800
clay <c...@ymation.com> wrote:

> The preinstalled Vista probably included a ton of trial bloatware along
> with the base install... stuff I'm guessing you didn't install along
> with W7.
> ...or not.

It seems like Windows7 is nothing more than a Polished-Streamlined-Lean-
Mean-Vista-Machine or what Vista should have been.
--
Patrick in IL.

Cal Tinson

Dec 9, 2009, 2:50:39 PM12/9/09

...or made into in a free service pack by M$FT!!

Patrick Phillips

Dec 9, 2009, 2:59:14 PM12/9/09
On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 14:50:39 -0500
Cal Tinson <inv...@domain.invalid> wrote:

> .or made into in a free service pack by M$FT!!

Exactly...that is what Msft should have done and it should have free
compared to the upgrade to MAC OS-X $29.95 and Linux is free, so Microsoft
charges way to much.
--
Patrick in IL. snowing & blowing and headed northeast

NormanM

Dec 10, 2009, 3:58:57 AM12/10/09
On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 10:29:12 -0800, clay wrote:

> The preinstalled Vista probably included a ton of trial bloatware along
> with the base install... stuff I'm guessing you didn't install along
> with W7.

Trial bloatware is added by the OEM, not Microsoft, and comes pre-installed
with Windows on every name brand computer. The Windows 7 upgrade includes no
"trialware", or bloat. A "Custom install" allows one to format the HDD and
install Windows 7 with just the stuff on the MS discs.

I am not even going to try and enumerate the crap I didn't pitch from the
Windows XP MCE 2005 computer, that went missing after the Windows 7 install;
because I don't miss it.

kraut

Dec 10, 2009, 9:51:43 AM12/10/09
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 00:58:57 -0800, NormanM <yc...@blackhole.invalid>
wrote:

>> The preinstalled Vista probably included a ton of trial bloatware along
>> with the base install... stuff I'm guessing you didn't install along
>> with W7.
>
>Trial bloatware is added by the OEM, not Microsoft, and comes pre-installed
>with Windows on every name brand computer. The Windows 7 upgrade includes no
>"trialware", or bloat. A "Custom install" allows one to format the HDD and
>install Windows 7 with just the stuff on the MS discs.

The only thing with format a disk that came with a OEM operating
system on it is that you may have to find and manually install driver
for the OEM system!! I been that route and it is a pain!!!

NormanM

Dec 10, 2009, 2:24:01 PM12/10/09

If you are reinstalling the OEM OS, possibly. I went that route when
refurbishing a Toshiba laptop that had no recovery discs, or partition.

However, Windows 7 upgrade is the same as Windows 7 retail (except that it
checks for a qualifying version of Windows for upgrade before it installs).
The upgrade version of Windows 7 is very different from the OEM version of
Windows 7.

I started with an HP Pavilion m7590n, which shipped with the HP OEM version
of Windows XP MCE 2005. I blew away the recovery partition (I burned
recovery DVDs, so that partition is no longer necessary). I installed
Windows 7 from a "Family Pack" license (we actually have more computers on
the premises than that covers, so I will need another license for the
Toshiba laptop), using the "Custom" install, and selected the "Format"
option. The only driver I had do update was the Nvidia driver; but, as old
as that computer is, driver updates are a good idea anyway. Or maybe I
should just have trashed the old computer and spent $1000 on a replacement?

Patrick Phillips

Dec 10, 2009, 7:02:14 PM12/10/09
NormanM wrote:

> I started with an HP Pavilion m7590n, which shipped with the HP OEM
> version of Windows XP MCE 2005. I blew away the recovery partition (I
> burned recovery DVDs, so that partition is no longer necessary). I
> installed Windows 7 from a "Family Pack" license (we actually have more
> computers on the premises than that covers, so I will need another
> license for the Toshiba laptop), using the "Custom" install, and selected
> the "Format" option. The only driver I had do update was the Nvidia
> driver; but, as old as that computer is, driver updates are a good idea
> anyway. Or maybe I should just have trashed the old computer and spent
> $1000 on a replacement?

My Compaq came with the free coupon to order Win7 Premium Upgrade from HP
that also came with a 2nd "HP Upgrade Assistant CD" which contained device
drivers that I never needed to use because Win7 either had them or Win
Update downloaded all the needed drivers that were either same version or
newer than those on CD, but someone without Internet access sure could
have used the CD.

--
Patrick in IL.